Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2020, 07:58 AM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times

Advertisements

I'm not hoarding toilet paper, but you would think I was if you saw my small hoard of it. I live alone. But, about a year or so ago I got a 20 pack of Scotts for like $8 on sale. Although I hadn't used it up, I got another 20 pack of Scotts for around the same price about 6 months ago. Prices like that don't come along everyday.

Heck, maybe it was Divine Providence (but more likely my response to a very good price) that I would be sitting here today with no need to buy toilet paper for a very long time.

I don't use hand sanitizer, so I wont be keeping anyone from getting their supply.

I do eat healthy, take supplements that boost my immune system, and exercise.

Honestly, if I was going to hoard anything, it would be nonperishable food items, but Im not doing that either. I just know that if things are going to get really bad over this, I cant eat toilet paper and hand sanitizer. I do have at least 30 days worth of food in my cupboard, but that's just from following the guidelines of years of Emergency Preparedness training. Beans and rice are going to get boring real fast if I have to eat it for that long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2020, 08:58 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,544,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComeCloser View Post
I'm not hoarding toilet paper, but you would think I was if you saw my small hoard of it. I live alone. But, about a year or so ago I got a 20 pack of Scotts for like $8 on sale. Although I hadn't used it up, I got another 20 pack of Scotts for around the same price about 6 months ago. Prices like that don't come along everyday.

Heck, maybe it was Divine Providence (but more likely my response to a very good price) that I would be sitting here today with no need to buy toilet paper for a very long time.

I don't use hand sanitizer, so I wont be keeping anyone from getting their supply.

I do eat healthy, take supplements that boost my immune system, and exercise.

Honestly, if I was going to hoard anything, it would be nonperishable food items, but Im not doing that either. I just know that if things are going to get really bad over this, I cant eat toilet paper and hand sanitizer. I do have at least 30 days worth of food in my cupboard, but that's just from following the guidelines of years of Emergency Preparedness training. Beans and rice are going to get boring real fast if I have to eat it for that long.
In times like this you’re better off aligning with your neighbors working to get through something. People hoard stuff like tp, etc because they are scared. Nobody wants to wipe with grass. If the water stops running that’s when you have mass hysteria and huge issues. Well more so than this.

If something bad happens....you can’t be awake 24/7. You can’t go through in a constant high awareness mental state. You’ll be twitching like a crack head jumping at sounds. Btw dogs....first think I would kill is your dogs if I was planning bad things. Then come back later. Attacking people is a choice we make. Some have no issue with it

I have about 60 days of food if I ate three meals a day. We can stretch that out to 120 if needed. After that i guess I’m gonna hunt coyotes and whatever bird is flying to make camp stew.

I read this book called One Second After. Really good book depicting a realistic scenario of food and loss of daily things and what or how people react.

If we get to the apocalypse everyone for themselves you’ll still have people grouping together for protection.

Last edited by Electrician4you; 03-14-2020 at 09:08 AM..

Old 03-14-2020, 12:16 PM

6,150 posts, read 4,519,654 times
Some of you guys watch way too much TV.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:47 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,336,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
But why toilet paper? What makes a person say to themselves OMG, it's Armageddon, the end times, I have to have ALL the toilet paper?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
I don't quite understand the TP thing at all. .
Supposedly only 3% of people infected get diarrhea. I've brought this up before that there isn't any real practical reason to stock up on toilet paper, but it may make people feel a little bit in control of a situation rife with unknowns. That's important, because constant worry may make people more susceptible to the very thing they fear. Long term stress is known to weaken the immune system. The more worried we are, the more vulnerable we are to this disease. The less worried we are because we bought toilet paper, silly as that seems, the more we've reduced our fear and minimized the effects on our immune system.

So, it's basically all psychological why people are hoarding toilet paper, it makes them feel like they have some "control" over the situation and might make them worry less, which is probably good for their immune system.

Old 03-14-2020, 12:57 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Purlin View Post
My neighbor bought mountains of toilet paper. Not me, as I have the usual stock.

But I do have guns, ammo, and two large German Shepherds.

In other words, my neighbor's TP in really my TP, if things get bad enough.
We all need to keep a sense of humor right now while we are keeping things or trying to keep things in perspective.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
But why toilet paper? What makes a person say to themselves OMG, it's Armageddon, the end times, I have to have ALL the toilet paper?

So many of us are thinking the same thing and yet not one hoarder has explained the reasoning behind this.As for water, it isn't like, from now on all our water supply is coming from China and only being packaged by people who are infected. What is wrong with plain tap water in most cases?

Old 03-14-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
I love guys like you who think that because you have a gun you can just come take what you want when you run out. He may have some lead to throw your way when you show up to take what’s his. I know I would have a few lead answers in response. Your dogs may soon be his dogs or in his meat freezer. Maybe he will come visit you first.

If society breaks down that far when you’re killing a friend or a neighbor to get their stuff there is no country or laws. You run out of TP and you go visit your neighbor and the pandemic passes you’re going to jail or prison eventually
OMG, you are nor serious? He was not threatening anyone, just trying to lighten the panic up a bit!!!!

Old 03-14-2020, 01:14 PM

4,004 posts, read 2,083,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Btw dogs....first think I would kill is your dogs if I was planning bad things. Then come back later. Attacking people is a choice we make. Some have no issue with it

I have about 60 days of food if I ate three meals a day. We can stretch that out to 120 if needed. After that i guess I’m gonna hunt coyotes and whatever bird is flying to make camp stew.
Whoa, just hold on there. If anybody's going to be eating my dog, it's going to be ME!

I can always use my stash of TP to barter for things I need.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:37 PM

962 posts, read 612,971 times
Of course I was joking.

Seriously, kill another human? . . . . . . and for toilet paper?

Old 03-14-2020, 02:11 PM

4,921 posts, read 7,691,766 times
Please take five minutes to see how your wonderful neighbors will react to a crisis.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qPtFIJLmrKs

Isn't it a wonderful day in the neighborhood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health