Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2023, 03:32 AM

17,603 posts, read 17,635,928 times

Advertisements

When it hits me first thing I do is try to explain to my wife what’s happening and that it’s not about her. It’s as if I feel guilt or paranoia of anything or everything I ever did wrong from decades past or just imagined wrongs I may have done. Feels like I just did those things and everyone around me is judging me for those things. I take anti anxiety medication along with anti depressants. I have Aspergers (a form of autism), PTSD from things I experienced in the military, and depression since puberty (I’m 54). I know how to use a gun but choose not to have a gun because having one available could be too great a temptation during a bad episode. In the past I use to use headphones that completely covered my ears to play music from select CDs or cassettes or records (through the decades).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2023, 08:44 AM

2,048 posts, read 993,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalWorth View Post
I have found that if I take baby steps, like getting up off the couch & performing at least one simple task, it gets better.
Baby steps, as prescribed to Bill Murray by his doctor in What About Bob. LOL!

It helps me, too, when things get overwhelming. When there's too much to cope with I just pick one thing to accomplish, say, washing the dishes that keep piling up. If you can only do one thing for the day, that's okay...it's better than nothing.

Old 09-18-2023, 10:05 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times
I, too, feel "paralyzed," but it doesn't seem characterized by either anxiety or depression (although it causes a degree of both). It's more a strange ennui and inertia. I know what I should do, but I simply don't do it -- day after day. This is new to me since my somewhat unexpected and unwanted retirement, which followed a year of pandemic shutdown. Before that, I was always very efficient and effective. I'm just absolutely stuck. It's very strange!

Old 09-18-2023, 02:43 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,777,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
^^Thank you for the above post. Though not everyone is spiritually religious, it's good to get some feedback other than the typical canned response of "seek professional help" or "get therapy".

When I read post #2 I thought, "Well, duh..." Pretty sure everyone's aware that mental health care services exist, but that doesn't mean it's accessible or even desirable for everybody.

I try to keep life simple and take the cause & effect approach when I can. If something/someone is causing me repeated anxiety it's my body telling me to eliminate that thing/person from my life.
There seem to be more avenues to reach mental health care than ever before. You just don't know what they are unless you reach out and ask. As for being desirable or not, well, I'm pretty sure most folks would prefer to rely on their own resources as much as possible. However, if self-help isn't helping it's time to try something different. Or not.

It isn't always possible to eliminate the anxiety-promoting thing or person from one's life. Sometimes your realistic option is to learn better ways to coexist with it instead. A counselor can teach you how to disarm the anxiety generator and better coping mechanisms.

Last edited by Parnassia; 09-18-2023 at 02:53 PM..

Old 09-18-2023, 03:06 PM

1,288 posts, read 643,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I feel over-whelmed and stressed to the max. I can't move off the couch. Simple daily tasks and self-care are huge challenges. It's interfering with all areas of my life. Everything is a struggle.

Any tips for me?
YES! It might seem impossible to believe and may take a bit of time but - YOU WILL GET THROUGH IT! Try not to despair and good luck to you..

Old 09-18-2023, 04:27 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,257,511 times
A very knowledgeable counselor once told me that anxiety IS depression. Hope u make an appointment for asap!

Old 09-18-2023, 06:43 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Quote:
I feel over-whelmed and stressed to the max. I can't move off the couch. Simple daily tasks and self-care are huge challenges. It's interfering with all areas of my life. Everything is a struggle.

Any tips for me?
If you are female I'd
1. have my hormones checked then balanced with plant based lotions.
2. And /or try antidepressants for anxiety, lack of control, fear, paranoia, nervousness....even for 6 months.
3. Oh and I forgot herbs, Lemon Balm Herb tincture, and Flower Essences ...but you have to know what you're doing...I was skeptical ...(C'mon, Flower Essences?_)
I'm not anymore!!!

An easy one to change your mind about their efficacy...can be found in any Whole Foods ...the tincture - ''Rescue Remedy'' by Bach Flowers.

But hey, that's ME ---I have done all 3 before, so I know a little...about ME.
Scared to offer much here, people tend to jump on ya. So any ques - message me.

Old 09-19-2023, 08:32 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,697 times
Thank you all so much for your support and kind words

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Oct 6th. I am hopeful.

Old 09-19-2023, 09:12 AM

45,542 posts, read 27,157,256 times
Quote:

Any tips for me?
Is it constant or does it come and go in waves from time to time?

Old 09-19-2023, 09:37 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Is it constant or does it come and go in waves from time to time?
It's chronic...and is characterized by long-term and persistent feelings of unease, worry and fear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health