Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2023, 08:05 PM

1,394 posts, read 1,407,240 times

Advertisements

I totally agree with the professional approach. I also used meds for a time. But, I would like to add that exercise and especially outdoor walks or running is so beneficial to my life now. ( I am currently not on any meds, but I do attend group therapy sessions several times a year. My daily run is just like a med to me)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2023, 05:51 PM

17,538 posts, read 39,160,131 times
Just hopping on, because I have suffered from forms of anxiety my entire life; going back to my earliest memories. My mother always referred to me as being "high strung", because I was always nervous and anxious. I never felt like I "fit in" with other people and many social situations made me feel anxious.

I am now 73, my anxiety overall is a lot better than it used to be..... but it's not gone. I have physical issues now, which add to the problem. For some reason I start to get a strong sense of unease when I am going somewhere, even if it's only something like going out to eat with my hubby. It is stronger in the morning, and I am attributing that to coffee; which I think I am going to have to cut out (again).

I am a (Type 2) diabetic and have read that this problem shows up more often in folks with this condition. I have a lot of painful conditions like arthritis, a broken knee, and spinal issues ( to name a few) that make me physically uncomfortable and believe contribute to the anxiety triggers.

To the OP, I am glad you are seeking help - please keep us posted as to what you end up being prescribed/told. I take supplements such as magnesium, valerian and melatonin, and try to avoid excess alcohol (just a little wine) and am now going to cut back on coffee because I believe it is a huge trigger.

My whole life I just wanted to be one of those calm people that never got bothered by anything.... instead I am a hyper-aware worrywort hypochondriac! lol

Old 09-26-2023, 07:14 PM

2,102 posts, read 1,020,627 times
My anxiety has gotten worse as I've gotten older, but it happens more in concentrated episodes rather than 24/7. Usually really bad for a day or two, then mellows out for a while as long as nothing majorly upsets my daily plans.

When I was young and just starting out every day was a massive challenge just to leave my apartment. Just the thought of dealing with people filled me with dread and anxiety. I still have journals/poems I wrote when I was 18-20ish, and I was definitely not having a good time in life. And to think I worked full time as a sales clerk, dealing with customers nonstop for an eight hour shift! No freakin' way could I do that now, I'd have a meltdown within the first couple of hours.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:52 AM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by considerforamoment View Post
1) Deep breathing - try 4/7/8 (look it up) - also "breathe in love (through the nose) - breathe out fear (through the mouth). Breathing in slowly through the nose and slowly out through the mouth will calm you down.
2) Do EFT on it (see Brad Yates for details). Rounds only take a max of ten minutes - it's free, and you can use it anytime you feel anxious or worried.
3) Use essential oils (I like Serenity blend, doTerra, but look up singles for anxiety - Lavender, etc.)
4) If you're in a legal state, microdose cannabis edibles (also great for sleep). Research the endocannabinoid system
5) Try microdosing magic mushrooms (legal in Oregon, decriminalized in others - check your state's laws, which might be changing).
6) Use your intuition to inform you of what's good for you and what isn't (including people). Establish boundaries.
7) Eat healthy - organic - drink filtered water (add lemon).
8) Get enough sleep.
9) Get massages, pedicures, etc.
10) Train yourself to let go of disturbing thoughts. Think "better feeling thoughts" (Abraham Hicks).
Agree with this. 4 weeks ago today I gave up coffee, sugar, dairy, bread, wheat, alcohol and diet drinks. After two days I started having 95% less pain in my body. I still have IT Band issues due to a nasty fall, and it's been tough to deal with. But even that pain has lessened. Anything that creates inflammation and an acid condition in the body is not good for us.

I will say that edibles did not work for me. I never found the right dose, and I don't like the feeling after ingesting them. But mostly, they just didn't work. Everyone's biochemistry is different. I've started using Magnesium Glycinate tablets for better sleep and it works wonders. Magnesium Citrate is good for a lot of things, including depression and anxiety. (I use the powder form.) I have a history of depression due to circumstances - not clinical - but no anxiety.

Self-talk and better thoughts is really important. Giving up harmful foods is easy once your desire for no pain or less pain overrides your desire for the feeling you get from the food or beverages. I find that when I have less or no pain I'm better able to think positively and overall I just feel better.

Old 09-28-2023, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Agree with this. 4 weeks ago today I gave up coffee, sugar, dairy, bread, wheat, alcohol and diet drinks. After two days I started having 95% less pain in my body.
That's intense! And a major change. Interesting to hear your results and I'm considering trying something similar. I can easily give up all of those items and already avoid a few of them, but will definitely miss alcohol. Life seems boring without beer.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:11 PM

I'll post about results in another 4 weeks. So far, I'm doing well with all the eliminations. What I plan to do after 90 days have passed is add things back in once, and one at a time to see what the effect is. But if I add something back in permanently, I will only do it occasionally.

I will say that after 2 weeks I made some basmati rice which is supposed to be healthier for you but it was too soon. I had also put Greek yogurt on as a topping. I woke up the next morning with pain. The last time I ate basmati rice was a week ago and it was much better this time.

Yes, I would miss an occasional glass of wine or beer, and a mixed drink like a margarita. Again, I'll probably do those things occasionally.

One thing I cannot do is drink coffee. I was a coffee addict and I don't think I could drink a cup and not go back.

I now drink matcha tea instead. It's not green tea like usual. It's the full leaf including the stem which popular green tea doesn't include. It's ground extremely fine and very pure. It's from a high quality company online. I really like it; it's rather sweet but not overly so. The trick is to not make it too strong. I did that once and really got a caffeine rush that lasted about an hour. Not good for anxiety.

I find that I like the ritual of having a hot drink in the morning. I didn't think I could give up coffee. I also think that a high quality coffee brewed a certain way is far less detrimental, and more tasty than other brewing methods. My friend uses high quality beans with an espresso machine but doesn't make it strong. Just like regular coffee.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
I find that I like the ritual of having a hot drink in the morning. I didn't think I could give up coffee.
I feel the same way, but I think I could give up coffee for something else, even a hot cup of miso soup or some kind of broth. I suspect coffee & alcohol are the culprits in broken sleep, which only adds to mood problems and anxiety.

Old 09-28-2023, 12:45 PM

Yes, I agree with that. As mentioned, my depression which comes and goes, is situational rather than clinical. I find that I have been able to train my brain to discard negative thoughts more and more quickly with practice. (Have also weathered so many storms that my brain knows "this too shall pass.") But one still has to do the work.

Both diet and brain training are really crucial in treating depression and anxiety.

The matcha tea I'm now drinking is a fine powder that is also made into chai with a creamer of one's choosing, ostensibly with a bamboo whisk, though any whisk would probably do. I tried coconut creamer with coffee recently. I spit it out, poured out the cup and threw the creamer away. Blurgh. Hope I can find something that works for matcha chai.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:24 PM

6,354 posts, read 2,903,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Thank you all so much for your support and kind words

I have an appointment with a psychiatrist on Oct 6th. I am hopeful.
All he will do is give you an SSRI. Don't take it. It's snake oil but the side effects can be very damaging. I saw that a LOT when I worked at a psych hospital. Cognitive behavioral therapy is usually the best solution to anxiety. Find a psychologist - they aren't medical doctors so they aren't so hung up on just pushing pills.

Old 09-30-2023, 04:43 PM

Well there's something we agree on! Don't take the SSRI unless and until you explore all other options, the usual trite stuff: diet, exercise, positive thinking, positive self-talk, counseling, therapy, etc.

The only time SSRI's and the like are warranted is when there is a clinical reason for the depression or anxiety, not situational or circumstantial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health