Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2023, 04:56 PM

2,046 posts, read 990,078 times

Advertisements

Here's another vote for drug-free treatment. Our society is overmedicated, simply because it's "easier" for both doctor and patient, with ill effects. I wouldn't even consider it unless I had exhausted all other options and things were beyond all hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 05:29 PM

10,988 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Yes, sometimes I have to remind myself that zillions of people out there on the roads, in stores, online, etc. are heavily medicated with mood-altering drugs (recreational and pharma) and that it deeply affects their ability to function effectively in the world.

Old 10-05-2023, 05:23 PM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
There seem to be more avenues to reach mental health care than ever before. You just don't know what they are unless you reach out and ask. As for being desirable or not, well, I'm pretty sure most folks would prefer to rely on their own resources as much as possible. However, if self-help isn't helping it's time to try something different. Or not.

It isn't always possible to eliminate the anxiety-promoting thing or person from one's life. Sometimes your realistic option is to learn better ways to coexist with it instead. A counselor can teach you how to disarm the anxiety generator and better coping mechanisms.
Yes, Parnassia, very true. I have OCD, which is an anxiety disorder. It can't be cured, but it can be managed. Knowing what it was that was wrong with me, just being able to identify when I am obsessing or having intrusive thoughts (which admittedly still doesn't always happen right away) and so often being able to figure out the root of the anxiety causing the obsessions/compulsions or intrusive thoughts with skills I learned in therapy has made my life so much better.

Old 10-12-2023, 01:54 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
OP here...I saw the psychiatrist. I like him. Many more appointments coming because there's so much to delve deeper into. I have unresolved childhood issues.
Quote:
Originally Posted by earslikeacat View Post
A very knowledgeable counselor once told me that anxiety IS depression.
Spot on...and they can coexist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mascoma View Post
All he will do is give you an SSRI. Don't take it.
He prescribed 3 meds. It might be a band aid solution but I'm no longer incapacitated.

Old 10-12-2023, 12:54 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
He prescribed 3 meds. It might be a band aid solution but I'm no longer incapacitated.
And the band aid can be temporary, adjustable, and removable. It can provide time and build an emotional buffer zone within which you can do the emotional/mental work that needs doing. IME medication on its own isn't going to solve the problem because it can't address the problem. The person carrying that brain around day in, day out needs to do that. Lots of people label medications a crutch, but IME the word has more than one definition. One is positive, one negative.

Last edited by Parnassia; 10-12-2023 at 01:12 PM..

Old 10-12-2023, 06:09 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
mental health issues can be reversed with gut health -- seen it personally, twice. both had disabling anxiety/panic attacks -- both are now symptom free after working on gut health. there a TON of newer research showing gut dysbiosis as the cause

here's a thread that might help:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/alte...egins-gut.html

edit -- dont expect doctors or psychs to know this stuff. it's not included in their training nor in their procedures - so the ignorance on this topic is pervasive

Last edited by cheka; 10-12-2023 at 06:39 PM..

Old 10-12-2023, 06:15 PM

547 posts, read 326,311 times
just a small sample of scientific papers on gut microbiome/mental health

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37111321/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/33271426/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36941248/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36402501/

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36815632/

Old 10-12-2023, 06:55 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
I feel over-whelmed and stressed to the max. I can't move off the couch. Simple daily tasks and self-care are huge challenges. It's interfering with all areas of my life. Everything is a struggle.

Any tips for me?
I was initially frustrated by the lack of information in your post, but then so encouraged at your willingness to go and talk to a professional.

I just wanted to point out three things:
1) Tons of people are far more stressed in the last few years, what with covid, politics, economic woes - so no reason to feel as if it's a failing on your part.
2) While you're feeling this as mental distress, keep in mind that it may stem from real-world causes, even subtle ones, like being by pressured by work or family.
3) I was interested that you chose a psychiatrist. Do keep in mind that a psychiatrist has a medical degree, and often automatically thinks in terms of medical causes, wanting to immediately start with medication. Keep alternatives in mind - for instance, you might find that what is stressing you out is too much on your plate and is really a matter of setting priorities, or that even changes in your diet may help.

Good luck.

Old 10-12-2023, 07:04 PM

1,824 posts, read 794,851 times
Quote:
OP here...I saw the psychiatrist. I like him. Many more appointments coming because there's so much to delve deeper into. I have unresolved childhood issues.

Spot on...and they can coexist.

I’m glad that you came back to let everyone know how you’re doing. The 3 meds thing is interesting. I took one SSRI after a death in the family & was never really sure if it helped or not, then stopped taking it b/c of side effects. I know someone who is taking 2 SSRI b/c their anxiety-paralysis was endangering their career, & they are doing so much better now. So, everything is different for everyone, no one size fits all, obviously.

I hope you continue to keep everyone posted & I wish the very best for you. ((hug))

Old 10-12-2023, 11:12 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Thank you for the replies. I am taking all your recommendations seriously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health