Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2009, 11:25 AM

466 posts, read 928,539 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGowdog View Post
I'm not gonna get into the addiction/disease argument anymore.

I'm sick of it. I was trained by professionals that alcoholics are different than addicts of other "addictive" mind-altering drugs. I've been in this field for 25 years and counting. If you want me to elaborate more about it or any specific questions about it, I'll gladly do so.

Alcoholism is a very selective affliction and if you don't have it, hats off to ya. I cannot and never could "handle" my booze. I could handle my drugs pretty well though, but once I solved the "spiritual malady" in AA, I didn't want or need the drugs. I was able to just quit. Plus it was a waste of money and it's illegal. You can quit too. Just don't do it for long enough and you'll no longer be an addict. Get a job, some responsibility and grow up. Move out of your parents' basement.

Cigarettes are a joke. They give you sort of a buzz, the nicotine has some mild effect, they're hard to quit, they smell nasty, they put a funk on your breath and teeth, they're a waste of money and again, they're hard to quit. If you're gonna smoke, get some weed and make it worth your while.

Coffee is good for you. You should bathe in coffee. Coffee is your friend.

Tobacco is a natural MAO inhibitor (mono-amine oxidase inhibitor). It keeps serotonin from breaking down quickly and produces feelings of elevated moods.

Unfortunately cigarette manufacturers have added so many other deadly chemicals to thier products that cigarette smoking is just plain dangerous.

Coffee also contains a small amount of MAOI. BUT ! ! caffeine blocks the absorption of most of the nutrients in foods and supplements that work to keep anxiety and nervousness in check. B vitamins, Magnesium, Manganese, Taurine to name just a few.

Caffeine ingestion, by blocking magnesium uptake, can lead lead to spasms anywhere from simple hiccups to heart attacks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 PM

18,009 posts, read 27,453,889 times
Coffee may be bad for addicts.

Coffee and certain drugs are addictive.

Alcohol is not addictive.

Only about 10% of the human population develops what is called an allergy to alcohol. I have it, do you?

Someone else here gets it! Someone who's like me, finally!

Quote:
Originally Posted by someone besides me! Yay!
One thing that separates alcohol from alot of drugs and nicotine.

Alcohol is not an addictive substance.

I know this does really answer the question beacuse addiction is a very complex matter as we all know.
I'm not the only recovered alcoholic behind the keyboard! I found others! Yay! This is what they sound like:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Other Recovered Alcholics besides me!
"But why shouldn't we laugh? We have recovered, and have been given the power to help others." One of the most powerful sentences in the entire book and it entirely negates the thread "Recovering vs. Recovered." The book is either true or it isn't, you either believe it or you don't. This life isn't about a false modesty and a pretended humility. It is about living with power and purpose and intent. It is to be an intelligent agent, a spearhead of God's ever advancing creation. It is to be a living, walking demonstration of the power of God, to be a city on a hill, a lamp unto the feet of men, it is to be the salt of the earth. It is about living a life of joy. Emmett Fox said that misery can hidden, but that you can't hide joy anymore than you can hide garlic and that if you cultivate joy, you can't help but to help and inspire everyone you meet.

And again, it is about living with power in my life. There is a big difference between believing in God and believing in the power of God. Live like you've tapped into that hidden resource of power that is unlimited. The same power that holds the planets in orbit flows in you. All the power that God has is mine, and all I have to do is claim it and use it for what it is for. Power is for one thing-to help others, and to misuse it is a waste of spirit. Ask yourself this question: "What are you gonna do with the power God gave you?" If I use for any other purpose than for what is given, it will destroy me and hurt others.
Isnt' that a beauty?

All I'm trying to do is carry this message that's been given to me. You know, they were gonna name the Big Book "The Way Out."

So having an open mind... this may clear some things up for some that don't agree with me specifically in here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another take on alcoholism vs alcohol addiction
Alcohol Addiction isn't different from other addictions. Alcoholism is something altogether different. If you have a problem with drinking and you quit, your problem is solved, if you are an alcoholic and are not treating it, your problem has just begun. AA teaches us that alcohol was merely a symptom of a bigger problem.
That's rather interesting, is it not? Would that not describe the difference between the hard drinker and the alcoholic?

Last edited by McGowdog; 04-21-2009 at 01:11 PM.. Reason: add; there's hope in the Universe yet!

Old 04-21-2009, 02:59 PM

804 posts, read 1,964,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
Tobacco is a natural MAO inhibitor (mono-amine oxidase inhibitor). It keeps serotonin from breaking down quickly and produces feelings of elevated moods.

Unfortunately cigarette manufacturers have added so many other deadly chemicals to thier products that cigarette smoking is just plain dangerous.

Coffee also contains a small amount of MAOI. BUT ! ! caffeine blocks the absorption of most of the nutrients in foods and supplements that work to keep anxiety and nervousness in check. B vitamins, Magnesium, Manganese, Taurine to name just a few.

Caffeine ingestion, by blocking magnesium uptake, can lead lead to spasms anywhere from simple hiccups to heart attacks
Great info! The cadmium (toxic metal) from smoking also displaces zinc, which can trick the brain into replacing one craving for another since drinking alcohol depletes zinc in the body.

Old 04-21-2009, 03:23 PM

All recovering alcoholics and some hard drinkers are addicted! They get addicted to all kinds of things! Sex, gambling, cigarettes, coffee, even alcohol!

But recovered alcoholics or maddog alcoholics or "real" alcoholics don't. They suffer from a spiritual malady of which the AA Program is their best hope.

Here's what one of my recovered peeps says,

Quote:
Originally Posted by one of my Recovered peeps
Unless you are of the hopeless variety as I surely was. I had two choices:

1. Drink myself into eternal rest.
2. Accept spiritual help

Glad I chose what's behind door number 2
The funny thing is this; for the real alcoholic, they have to think about it?

Old 04-21-2009, 03:58 PM

Actually sex is not an addiction. Sex is a VERY natural tool that mankind NEEDS to continue the existance of animal life.

I find that when I'm not drinking I can actually HAVE the sex that I'm addicted to. LOL

Old 04-21-2009, 04:02 PM

8,292 posts, read 26,670,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyT View Post
I've been to several AA meetings and one rehabilitation facility and what I noticed was that before the meetings, breaktime, and after the meetings - the times when people congregate - nearly everyone of them is smoking. Even the therapists running the meetings couldn't wait to get outside to light up. What is the connection?
I'm guessing most of them were heavy smokers as well as alcoholics. So not smoking would increase the difficulty of recovery, since they'd be trying to recover from two addictions at once.

Also, the addictive personality is not apt to be stuck on just one single addiction.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:08 PM

I think addicts are just wussies, but that's strictly opinion. For some people, cigarettes and coffee is food.

Because... they don't know that we know they know we know.

But recovered alcoholics eventually quit smoking like I did, but continue to have sex, but don't have to brag about it.

Old 04-21-2009, 06:12 PM

That was a joke !

you need to relax and have a drink and a smoke.

Old 04-21-2009, 09:53 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,606,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anxiousannie View Post
Sorry to tell you this, but alcoholics ARE INDEED addicts!
You are mistaken. That's why they are called alcoholics rather than addicts.

Old 04-21-2009, 11:47 PM

Thank you! Just ask Alice! When. She's. Ten. Feet. Tall!!!!!!!!

Notice how her reps just went up by four? Because she's cool, smart, and she doesn't lie. Neither did Dr Bob!

Any Dr Bob fans in here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Bob
If you think you are an athiest, an agnostic, a skeptic, or have any other form of intellectual pride which keeps you from accepting what is in this book, I feel sorry for you. If you still think you are stong enough to beat the game alone, that is your affair. But if you really and truly want to quit drinking liquor for good and all, and sincerely feel you must have some help, we know that we have an answer for you. It never fails if you go about it with one half the zeal you have been in the habit of showing when getting another drink.

Your Heavenly Father will never let you down!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health