Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:48 AM

276 posts, read 747,123 times

Advertisements

Made it through day one! No sleep tonight...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2010, 01:25 AM

160 posts, read 865,150 times
5 years ago and don't feel any crave for a smoke or anything like this. I can't even stand the smell of people who just had a cigarette. It's not so bad, believe me. But no patch or gum, that's not quitting, as somebody else said.
You can do it, girl!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:07 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
Made it through day one!
Good for you. One down and a lifetime to go!

Old 02-23-2010, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elisaa View Post
I had my last ciggy last night and I'm using the patch! So much for the patch...the cravings are stronger, at least for now. Anyone who has quit or thinking of quitting share your experiences and thoughts. I've been really tempted to light up
elisaa, I quite about 15 months ago. I did it cold turkey and I still miss it some. The good news is, after awhile the smell if you go somewhere there is smoking will make you realize why you quit.. the only side effect and it seems to affect women more is a slight weight gain. I gained about 8 lbs which I needed like a hole in the head, it is now coming off..

The one thing that helped me was I had no one around me that smoked. If I had of it would have been a lot harder..I tried many times before I was successful..

Hubby quit in the mid 80s and took of gum chewing, I don't which is worse?? He has given it up now as well...thank GOD!!!!

Good luck, hang in there and if my good friend in NM who is 81 and had smoked for 65 years (2 packs a day) can quit, so can you.

Nita

Old 02-23-2010, 05:43 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Nope! No patch. That's trading one nicotine delivery system for another. To me it seems rather counter-intuitive. The info was from various sources. I smoked for just over 40 years and quit on Nov. 30, 2007. I used the prescription drug, Chantix.
that is one reason why I didn't use the patch. I felt the same, it is trading one for another. When I was in the hospital about 2 years ago the doctor asked if I wanted the patch while there. I said no and being in the hospital I was fine, just a little more antsy than usual. I am glad I didn't depend on it.

Nita

Old 02-23-2010, 11:47 AM

2,497 posts, read 7,474,533 times
Well luckily I never really get heavily addicted to them. At times, dependent a little. I can go days or weeks without one then if it sounds really good I'll let myself have one. If I'm ultra mega stressed I may go through a pack in a week and half. I don't need one after dinner, I don't freak out if I don't get one.
I was not always this way. In my teens and early 20's I was a chain smoker. I learned self control and how to be the master of it, not vice versa.
I do smoke alone though and I never smoke in crowds or in my car/home. I try not to expose anyone to it.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:51 PM

Well I'm into day two and it's nice to see the contributions. However I have to disagree with regard to NRT's. NRT's are used for those who have long term addictions and not able to use other types of medications that may cause the following ( suicide, severe depression, seizures, liver disease, kidney failure etc. So when speaking of cold turkey or Champix etc. Please remember that everyone's situation is unique to them just as their reasons for smoking. The purpose of the thread is to share your experience NOT criticize the methods or experience of others!

Old 02-23-2010, 08:15 PM

1,688 posts, read 4,297,963 times
Hi.

Did you throw the lighters away?
I use to keep the cigarettes for awhile just to hold one. It seemed to sooth the tactile satisfaction I missed but I threw out the lighters. I ended up just throwing the cigs away when I was so frustrated that I couldn't lite one. Gum became a passion.
Do you drink coffee? I know coffee is a huge trigger for a smoker but when someones trying to kick the nicotine thing they shouldn't tackle the caffeine thing as well.
Hope your doing well as now this thread is a thread of hope and support.

Look into the computer screen and read my words out loud:
I don't need a cigarette I don't need a cigarette

Did it work?
Good-luck to you.

Old 02-24-2010, 12:01 AM

317 posts, read 1,750,753 times
I quit 3 years ago, cold turkey, after smoking 22 years. It was tough, I felt like I had the flu for 3 days. BUT- when you get past 72 hours, you begin to feel better... really. I made it with support form my family, and the American Lung Association's Freedom from Smoking Program.

Totally free, and wonderful. I got great support from there- 24 hours a day people are in and out of the message boards with encouragement and stories of success. They had great tips to help you quit and stay smoke free.

I really believe I did it with the combination of serious desire to quit and the Lung Association and family support. Check it out, and best wishes!!

Home Page

Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyvin View Post
Hi.

Did you throw the lighters away?
I use to keep the cigarettes for awhile just to hold one. It seemed to sooth the tactile satisfaction I missed but I threw out the lighters. I ended up just throwing the cigs away when I was so frustrated that I couldn't lite one. Gum became a passion.
Do you drink coffee? I know coffee is a huge trigger for a smoker but when someones trying to kick the nicotine thing they shouldn't tackle the caffeine thing as well.
Hope your doing well as now this thread is a thread of hope and support.

Look into the computer screen and read my words out loud:
I don't need a cigarette I don't need a cigarette

Did it work?
Good-luck to you.
Thanks that's really neat. I haven't thrown away the lighters. I use them to light my candles. Day three and staying with it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Mental Health