Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 12:44 AM

6,386 posts, read 11,914,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
I see, but you have to admit that some of your college grads are paid horribly. The houses I was looking at in San Luis Potosi, Queretaro, Leon and Puebla were small middle class houses with only 3 bedrooms and their monthly charge was $800-$1,500 U.S. dollars a month. That's well beyond the salary of some of your college grads. Teachers, nurses, computer programmers, etc all of which are middle class in the U.S. but in Mexico they seem to be part of the working class; so what type of jobs would you need in Mexico to be middle class?
Most "middle class" qualify for an Infonavit house eventually which some live in, while others illegally rent them out. These houses cost a few thousand pesos a month at most and are priced based on one's salary. Add to that these professions you worry so much about usually have cars and can pay some amount of money for their kids tuition means they are far from impoverished. After all these aren't the people by and large illegally working in the US. For as bad as the salary might seem it generally provides a decent life for these professions except maybe the teachers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2011, 01:26 AM

1,200 posts, read 1,608,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Most "middle class" qualify for an Infonavit house eventually which some live in, while others illegally rent them out. These houses cost a few thousand pesos a month at most and are priced based on one's salary. Add to that these professions you worry so much about usually have cars and can pay some amount of money for their kids tuition means they are far from impoverished. After all these aren't the people by and large illegally working in the US. For as bad as the salary might seem it generally provides a decent life for these professions except maybe the teachers.
Apparently nurses as well seeing how they make even less than teachers according to the following site which lists average monthly salary of Mexican jobs:

Monthly income (pesos):Mexico Average Salary Income - Job Comparison

Teachers: 8,146
Nurses: 6,310
College Professors: 13,877
Computer Programmer: 10,582
Engineer: 11,427
Accountant: 10,689
Airline Pilot: 36,389

Now the link axixic2 gave me for homes had one 3 bedroom middle class house which was 14,000 pesos a month most of the professionals I listed above wouldn't be able to afford it unless they're accepted to the program you mentioned.

Here's the link of the house; Hermosa casa en renta en Miravalle

Old 07-10-2011, 07:14 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,347,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canaan-84 View Post
Now the link axixic2 gave me for homes had one 3 bedroom middle class house which was 14,000 pesos a month most of the professionals I listed above wouldn't be able to afford it unless they're accepted to the program you mentioned.

Here's the link of the house; Hermosa casa en renta en Miravalle
That house is also almost 3000 sq.ft. which is larger than most teachers would rent in the U.S. A house like that in the same type neighborhood up North would probably rent for $3000 a mo.

I rent a new 3000 sq.ft house in the Lake Chapala area for less than $5000 MXP a month. From what I can tell by the pictures, mine is a nicer house but I didn't find it advertised on the internet.

As I understand it, deductions are automatically made from paychecks for homeownership. It's not voluntary.

Once someone has a house, property taxes are very affordable. People are not paying additional taxes and insurance if they have a house payment. On a $100,000 USD home, the annual property tax is about $100 USD. People don't have fire insurance because houses here don't burn. They might have other types of insurance but I've never heard of it.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:29 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio84 View Post
I don't get many people. They are uncomfortable and very vocal about the illegal immigration from Mexico, and then when the tide is clearly turning, they seem to also be uncomfortable with that too.

What the hell?

Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I'm glad Mexico is progressing (and so is Brazil and Chile and Panama and Colombia and Peru and China, but not the U.S. or Spain or Italy or Greece or Japan. Do you see a pattern here?)

The world has changed, people need to learn to accept this.
I don't think that's the case. I think it's the pro-illegal side that doesn't want to accept that Mexico is a good and liveable country and that many people love Mexico and never want to leave it. That is counter to everything they are trying to claim.

Remember, it's the pro-illegal side that likes to portray Mexico as a nation of starving and dying children, where no opportunity exists. Lies of course.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:33 AM

70 posts, read 129,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I don't think that's the case. I think it's the pro-illegal side that doesn't want to accept that Mexico is a good and liveable country and that many people love Mexico and never want to leave it. That is counter to everything they are trying to claim.

Remember, it's the pro-illegal side that likes to portray Mexico as a nation of starving and dying children, where no opportunity exists. Lies of course.

yeah, more than 40,000 deaths in less than 6 years of calderon's failed war is proof that Mexico is going in the right direction...

people join the drug cartels because there are no jobs, no opportunities in education, etc...

and liveable? oh yeah sure, like not being able to travel on many of the state highways thanks to FeCal

and yes I love Mexico and I hate FeCal and his unpatriotic government

Last edited by yosoy1; 07-10-2011 at 09:41 AM..

Old 07-10-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yosoy1 View Post
yeah, more than 40,000 deaths in less than 6 years of calderon's failed war is proof that Mexico is going in the right direction...

people join the drug cartels because there are no jobs, no opportunities in education, etc...

and liveable? oh yeah sure, like not being able to travel on many of the state highways thanks to FeCal
And the USA has over 9% unemployment while Mexico's is about half that - people here don't have work. Our national debt is sky high - and you think things are going in the right direction here?

Most of Mexico does not have a high homicide rate, the high homicide rate is at the border. People join the drug cartels because they admire the drug lords and want to strut around like them, they like the easy and big money, but the unemployment rate in Mexico is one we in the USA can envy.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Quote:

and yes I love Mexico and I hate FeCal and his unpatriotic government
And you don't love Mexico if you are lying about how bad it is there and trying to destroy it's whole image.

Why not tell the truth about it's growing middle class and how there actually are schools in Mexico? Public schools available for all, and Mexico has a national health care system with affordable health care, it's got some fine universities and many people who stay in school, don't have children they can never afford live a perfectly good and happy life in Mexico.

The drug cartels are pure scum and their deaths are no loss.

Old 07-10-2011, 09:46 AM

70 posts, read 129,701 times
well, I don't live in a Mexican tourist resort, so I see and live things that don't even get published on the news....

Old 07-10-2011, 09:52 AM

Quote:
well, I don't live in a Mexican tourist resort, so I see and live things that don't even get published on the news....
There is a lot that happens in the USA that doesn't get published on the news.

Really the homicide rate of Mexico City, Puebla and many Mexican cities is considerably lower than those of Los Angeles, Houston, Phoenix, Chicago and others. There is no denying that Juarez and the border towns are bad because of cartel greed.

Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,347,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And the USA has over 9% unemployment while Mexico's is about half that - people here don't have work. Our national debt is sky high - and you think things are going in the right direction here?

Most of Mexico does not have a high homicide rate, the high homicide rate is at the border. People join the drug cartels because they admire the drug lords and want to strut around like them, they like the easy and big money, but the unemployment rate in Mexico is one we in the USA can envy.
I am prevented from giving you another rep point right now.

Exactly right. The kids who join the cartels do so for the same reasons kids join gangs in the U.S., because it's cool. They can find jobs that might not pay very much but are moral and don't hurt anyone.

What if Calderon wasn't fighting the cartels? Yosoy thinks traveling some roads is dangerous now, there wouldn't be any traveling without Calderon pushing back against the cartels.

Ninety-nine percent of all the murders have been gang against gang. Maybe they will kill each other off. As soon as Calderon gets his plan in place to replace local police with federal police, hopefully we will see real results.

Calderon's fight against the cartels did ramp up the violence but it's reported that the government is beginning to win the fight and without the government fighting the cartels, Mexico would become another Afghanistan.

Because of my lack of Spanish I can't keep up like I'd like with Mexican politics but I think Calderon is a great president and too bad he can't serve another term.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico