Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2007, 09:02 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,440,037 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It seems to me that Mexico is a great country for the wealthy who live there -- whether they are Mexican upper class or Americans with money to retire in another country.

But as far as where Americans get their impressions -- we see the Mexican refugees who tell us they came because people are starving to death in Mexico, cannot find work, and are robbed by the police and so on.

Mexicans trekking through the desert with little more than the shirt on their backs, willing to risk 110 degree heat, or Mexicans drowning in the canals and rivers. It seems that Mexico does very well for some, very poorly for others.

And the first thing those about to be sent back will say -- they're terrified to have to go back. Not good advertisement you must admit.
This is true but I don't really know why people migrates, there are pooor people really poooor people that stays, and usually those who go aren't really that poor, they are in the borderline between poor and middle class
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2007, 03:32 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,358,076 times
As if we didn't have poor starving people in America, but here in America there is no other place to go.

Old 11-26-2007, 10:20 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,440,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
As if we didn't have poor starving people in America, but here in America there is no other place to go.
This is so true Jessaka, I've seen lots of homeless people in American cities, I felt bad about that

Old 11-27-2007, 04:25 AM

We just hide them better by moving them off the streets in some towns and cities. They are not allowed to panhandle in some areas, which is a shame because that is the only way they can help themselves at that moment in time. You have to have an address in order to get food stamps, etc. or at least that is what I have thought.

Old 12-01-2007, 10:07 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,636,274 times
President Calderon inaugurated Mexico's first Hybrid auto factory. He thanked GM which employs over 12,000 direct jobs and over 40,000 indirect jobs in the state of Guanajuato where the plant is located.

Mexico - Presidency of the Republic | Press Room (http://www.presidencia.gob.mx/en/press/?contenido=32856 - broken link)

It looks like he may turn out to be Mexico's greatest President since Benito Juarez (1860's) if the middle class and infrustructure continue to improve under him. Just my take though.

Old 12-01-2007, 02:22 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessaka View Post
There really aren't many starving people in either country.

For starving you have to go to Ethiopia or somewhere like that -- both countries of Mexican and the USA have more the opposite problem -- obesity and the health related effects of that.

Many Americans envision Mexico as a country where people are literally starving to death and dying on the streets because that's what illegals try to claim is their reason for sneaking in and not wanting to go back. It's Mexicans themselves who make the wildest negative claims about Mexico -- although it doesn't look too good when so many are also willing to risk death to escape.

Many Americans never go to Mexico - they just hear how the illegals came because their families were starving and they just came to feed them and so on.

Old 12-02-2007, 04:19 AM

There are hungry people in both countries. I read a non-ficton book called The Devil's Highway, and some Mexican are trying to scrape by on just corn tortillas. And many children in America go to school hungry. I volunteer for a food pantry in Oklahoma, and there are people that don't eat but one meal a day and only if the pantry has food to give to them.

Hunger In America Rises By 43 Percent Over Last Five Years

Fighting Poverty and Hunger in Mexico :: Freedom from Hunger

Old 12-02-2007, 04:23 AM

I hope you are correct 6 Foot 3. That is also my feelings about the man.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:54 PM

7 posts, read 23,939 times
I am Mexican and agree everything Traveling fella says :]

I agree that our people need to stop migrating to the USA.
Even though my parents brought me here years ago im dying to go back and try to change how people think in Mexico :/
The violence, gangs, and corruption are a huge problem that hold Mexico back... and I wanna help to stop that. Mexico is a great country and a beautiful and I am very proud to be a Mexicano !! :]
I am really glad to hear that Mexico is progressing and that it is more prosperous now since 1994.
I kinda agree also that the culture keeps us Mexican back a little too. Machismo ( it is getting less and less popular everyday ) is another subject ot slowing Mexico from achieving things that help the country... but its going away so thats good :]!
It makes me sad and a little mad when Americans say things about Mexicans because immigrants just want a better life and support themselves because they are from a poor state or area where theres not that much opportunities. Many Mexicans are trying REALLY hard to help stop migration like starting their own companies and finding a way and employing.
i really want to be a part of the change in Mexico !!

VIVA MEXICO!

Old 02-26-2008, 10:05 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,755,570 times
I hope you can become part of a needed change in Mexico. A handfull of farmers and ex Brits once demonstrated here in this country, change can happen with just a few great minds. Best of luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico