Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 08:01 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times

Advertisements

I have been reading up on the history of Mexico and de los Aztecas, and I have been getting more and more interested in learning to speak, read and write Nahuatl. I was curious if anyone here actually knows Nahuatl? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions that would be beneficial for me as far as learning it? Or if not, does anyone have any personal experiences with the language while living in Mexico?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 08:10 PM

42 posts, read 214,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Waiboi View Post
I have been reading up on the history of Mexico and de los Aztecas, and I have been getting more and more interested in learning to speak, read and write Nahuatl. I was curious if anyone here actually knows Nahuatl? And if so, does anyone have any suggestions that would be beneficial for me as far as learning it? Or if not, does anyone have any personal experiences with the language while living in Mexico?

I wish I did. Mexico is not the only Hispanic country where it was spoken. This was also the language in El Salvador which was formerly known as Cuscatlan. I don't understand why is it that my country doesn't speak both languages since they are both part of our history. There are some countries that have 2 official languages. I don't even know anything about the culture of the indigenous people. I don't know what religion they practiced, their traditions, and other beliefs. I hear people from my own country speak negatively about the indigenous people while they are half themselves, mixture of Spaniards and Indians. But what's the point of learning the language since you won't be able to communicate with anyone using it? Why must I speak Spanish if I was born in the land where that wasn't the original language? Why should I speak the language of the Spaniards who killed and raped the people in my country?

Old 12-02-2012, 08:20 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
Where do you live in the US? If there are Mexicans in your town, some of them may be Nahuatl speakers. My gardener turned out to be a Nahuatl speaker, so we're discussing trading English lessons for Nahuatl.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:44 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,932,751 times
Quote:
I lived amongst one band of Otomi in central Mexico for fourteen months. I believe Otomi is a derivative of Nahuatl. It was an interesting, tonal language still spoken by most elderly people (especially women). I would think traveling to central Mexico would be the best place to learn the language of las Aztecas. Many languages of indigenous people around the world are dying, so it would be really great if you did learn Nahuatl! Good luck El Waiboi!

Old 12-02-2012, 09:52 PM

65 posts, read 326,626 times
I know a few words, since I'm from la Huasteca Potosina, more specifically Tamazunchale, my father owned some butchershops so I had contact with a lot of fully indigenous people, I could have learned more but they didn't want to teach their languange to "outsiders" wich is weird since I'm not white but mestizo.

Some words I knoe are:

moyolo = heart
amo = no
nica= here
ama= today
kineke= want and/or love
unca= there is/are
kena= yes
totonic= hot
tistoque= we are
chichuca= to cry
zihuapil= girl
ocuizpil= boy
tse= 1
ume= 2
eye (pronounce the Es as in bet)= 3

God, I forgot so many words since I haven't talked in it for a very very long time (I don't live in Tamazunchale anymore)

Well, I hope it helped. XOXO

Old 12-02-2012, 11:04 PM

102,210 posts, read 107,904,670 times
There are Nahuatl loanwords in English. Or--derived from Nahuatl. Anyone know what they are?

tomatl - tomato
ocelotl - ocelot
aguacatl - avocado

Old 12-03-2012, 02:47 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,476,550 times
Quote:
It is a pretty language isn't it. I dont think it was written. Only the Mayans had a full written language in MesoAmerica. I can tell you popo means smoke. Chapul means grasshopper. Tepec means hill. Petl means mountain.

Nahuatl Invocation given at Eduardo Carrillo's Memorial Service in 1997 - YouTube

Old 12-03-2012, 04:32 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,596,094 times
Several years ago we went on a field trip to Tijuana with the Natural History museum for Día de los Muertos. We visited a neighborhood where everyone was speaking Nahuatl. I got the impression that speaking Nahuatl isn't rare in Mexico.

Until you find someone, there are online resources for learning Nahuatl, for example: Nahuatl Language and the Nahuatl/Aztec Indians (Mexica)

Old 12-03-2012, 05:58 PM

606 posts, read 1,606,215 times
Wow, you guys left some great comments!

To answer Ruth, I live in Phoenix, AZ and yes we have a large Mexican population here. As far as Mexicanos who actually speak Nahuatl, I have not met any. The only Nahuatl speakers I have actually met here in the Phoeniquera are Chicanos like me who have decided to research and study their own cultura for the sake of self exploration and education.

I do think it is a shame that so much of our gente have not only turned their backs on our raices, but also as Guelivier says, they actually look down on our indigenous people. I think we as a people should be orgullosos de ser Mexicanos, and that includes taking pride in speaking both Spanish and Nahuatl. I'm sure those of you living in Mexico do not have to experience this but I am saddened and disgusted and how many Chicanos here take pride in the fact that they cannot speak Spanish. Or those who can speak and pretend not to understand.

We as a people need t be proud of our race. And that for me that means both our Spanish and Aztec heritage. When my son was born we only spoke Spanish to him for the first 4 years of his life. I never want him to feel vergonzado about who he is or where his people came from.

I feel inspired by all of you posting your positive messages, and I do plan to continue studying our roots and culture and original language. Thank you all for your support y que Dios los bendiga.

Old 12-03-2012, 07:10 PM

836 posts, read 2,948,386 times
Quote:
Wow, you guys left some great comments!

To answer Ruth, I live in Phoenix, AZ and yes we have a large Mexican population here. As far as Mexicanos who actually speak Nahuatl, I have not met any. The only Nahuatl speakers I have actually met here in the Phoeniquera are Chicanos like me who have decided to research and study their own cultura for the sake of self exploration and education.

I do think it is a shame that so much of our gente have not only turned their backs on our raices, but also as Guelivier says, they actually look down on our indigenous people. I think we as a people should be orgullosos de ser Mexicanos, and that includes taking pride in speaking both Spanish and Nahuatl. I'm sure those of you living in Mexico do not have to experience this but I am saddened and disgusted and how many Chicanos here take pride in the fact that they cannot speak Spanish. Or those who can speak and pretend not to understand.

We as a people need t be proud of our race. And that for me that means both our Spanish and Aztec heritage. When my son was born we only spoke Spanish to him for the first 4 years of his life. I never want him to feel vergonzado about who he is or where his people came from.

I feel inspired by all of you posting your positive messages, and I do plan to continue studying our roots and culture and original language. Thank you all for your support y que Dios los bendiga.
Mexico is not only the Aztecs and the Nahuatl language does not represent the cultural heritage of all Mexico.

On this page is a map with all ethnic groups in Mexico. There you can see the diversity of groups and languages:
http://elhuaracheviajero.files.wordp.../magrupind.jpg

Mexican is not a race, but a mixture of Spanish and Native American ethnic groups at the start, then there are many immigrants from countries that were mixed up what we are today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico