Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you are American/Canadian, would you go to Mexico at THIS TIME?
Yes 48 63.16%
No 28 36.84%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 01:30 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
It also scrambles out to be the Spanish word for feces.
The first 3 letters in your name is the action of a criminal. So obviously you're a felon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2013, 02:12 PM

217 posts, read 640,334 times
i try to go to isla mujeres or playa del carmen annually, yes, in the spring (before hurricane season) living in texas it's the same time zone and a two hour flight from Houston. i've always felt safe in the Yucatan and have friends who intend to retire there (at around 1500 a month i've heard (?)). i also have friends that go to the Pacific coast to Surf, they flew there last year and took a bus, and i think this year they drove an old beater down there. yes, without a doubt, i would go back this year if i could. i'm hearbroken that i don't have vacation funds this year or i would already be booked. little sister going to cancun for spring break! also - every flight from Houston is always full. If you miss your flight, you will NOT get on the next one.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:38 PM

2,007 posts, read 6,831,029 times
I lived close to there for a year and I had a great time. I guess if you stayed in the safe areas you would be o.k. But don't go wandering around on your own, with all the crime. I know mexican citizens that can't go home to see relatives because of the drug wars and crimes that go unpunished in general and haven't do so for years and years.

Old 02-24-2013, 10:04 PM

340 posts, read 609,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Really, you can't think of a single thing? How about a vast array of local cultures, customs and languages that do not exist in Florida? How about thousands of years of history? How about mountains, volcanoes, canyons, deserts? This is but a small sample.

I would imagine that the general population in Mexico, which does not own guns, has a much lower rate of gun violence than the general US public. You are trying to compare everyday citizens to drug cartels, which makes no sense and is dishonest at best. The US also has about 9x more total rapes, but do women worry about travelling through the US normally?

The more you write, the more I think that you're just kind of xenophobic.
Well, yeah, he's xenophobic, but he's not American. He is Canadian.

And, yes, we American women do sometimes worry about traveling on our own in the U.S. Especially of we are going long distances on deserted highway roads, especially at night... Which, oddly, reminds me of an article I was reading in Outside magazine about some highway in CANADA where all these women had disappeared...Creepy.

I think, however, that your rape statistics are likely skewed as probably many more rapes in Mexico are never reported.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:33 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
I thought I was done with this thread until I came across this gem:

Quote:
Originally Posted by unnativeelpasoan View Post
Well, yeah, he's xenophobic, but he's not American. He is Canadian.
So not wanting to travel to Mexico given the police corruption, drug war, and general criminal activity that are rampant in the country both on and off the resort makes me a xenophobe now?

It really isn't hard to see why you would choose to visit Mexico, considering Darwin's theory and all that.

Old 02-25-2013, 12:44 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,927,978 times
The thing about visiting a foreign country is the appearance of the tourist....camera hanging down the front or from the shoulder strap....a sure RED flag.

On my first trip to Mexico City I showed those stupities......which changed after living there for a while.....friends gave me the scoop.

Used the Metro a lot. Kept my back against the inside wall so I could check over the people while protecting my wallet in the back pocket. Lost $1000 in the Metro...taught me a important lesson.

Couple of friends (1 a Dentist) would put their wallet in the sock above the shoe.....another down the front of his pants (above his junk).....never any problem there.

I would carry a Jacket/camera etc in a GROCERY bag. Stop and think for a second....how many Tourists shop in a Grocery store when on vacation.

I'm a people watcher of sorts (nothing bad) just curious.....people do strange things at times.

There were many times based upon my standing spot would catch a person eyeing me...was this an Americn (clothes) or a local resident.

Just my personal thoughts based upon my time in Mexico City and other cities I had visited.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:30 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,522,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Really, you can't think of a single thing? How about a vast array of local cultures, customs and languages that do not exist in Florida? How about thousands of years of history? How about mountains, volcanoes, canyons, deserts? This is but a small sample.

I would imagine that the general population in Mexico, which does not own guns, has a much lower rate of gun violence than the general US public. You are trying to compare everyday citizens to drug cartels, which makes no sense and is dishonest at best. The US also has about 9x more total rapes, but do women worry about travelling through the US normally?

The more you write, the more I think that you're just kind of xenophobic.
That poster had a bad trip to Cuba and has basically sworn off all non-European/Western countries from what I could wager from their previous posts.

Old 02-25-2013, 01:47 PM

2,982 posts, read 4,100,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
That poster had a bad trip to Cuba and has basically sworn off all non-European/Western countries from what I could wager from their previous posts.
Pretty much... It was the first time I traveled to a non-first world destination and it was terrible. The travel agent screwed up out reservations, paid for first-class service I never received, Havana was a depressing experience, and I paid for $160 worth of vaccinations before going and still got sicker than I can ever remember being. The honeymoon was in May and my wife still hasn't looked at the pictures yet. We should have just stayed another week in Manhattan following the wedding. We've never had a bad experience there.

After that waste of $2500, I think I'd rather stay in countries that don't have health or crime issues, and adhere to the standards I am used to in Canada. If that makes me a "xenophobe" so be it. Sitting on a beach staring at the ocean gets pretty boring after 2 days anyways. I need something a little more stimulating than that to keep my interest level up.

Old 02-25-2013, 04:15 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,442,098 times
I would not go into the interior of Mexico. It was fun years ago.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
I would go -- but only to the interior. I wouldn't vacation in a Mexican border city, I wouldn't go to Acapulco. I'd go to Puebla, Mexico City, Oaxaca and plenty of other places. But I can get all the Mexican food, language, music and culture I could want right where I'm living so there's not much need to travel and spend money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico