Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 02:42 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,789,404 times

Advertisements

Thailand is probably better than the US at this point in dentistry. Mexico is improving. There is a place right across the border in Nogales that only does root canals. About 200. There is also Dental Laser clinic in Nogales, which was actually Costco Tucson's Business of the Month for January. Dental Laser- Nogales -* Home Page They told me 50 for cleaning witgh the ultrasound machine--I paid 17 in Thailand. SS Dental Clinic Chiang Mai ¤ÅÔ¹Ô¡·Ñ¹µ¡ÃÃÁÊØ¢ÀÒ¾¿Ñ¹àª Õ§ãËÁè | ¨Ñ´¿Ñ¹ ¶Í¹¿Ñ¹ ÃÑ¡ÉÒÃÒ¡¿Ñ¹ ÃÒ¡à·ÕÂÁ ¿Í¡Êտѹ à¤Å×ͺ¿Ñ¹ ÍØ´¿Ñ¹ ¶Í¹¿Ñ¹ ãÊè¿Ñ¹ àªÕ§ãËÁè They are University Professors at Chiang Mai University Dental School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 PM

42,554 posts, read 87,128,165 times
This is a more specific question than previously discussed.

My impression is that Mexican "dentists" might not have anything like the rigorous training and certification that American dentists have. But that doesn't mean they are less competent, because good dentistry can be attained through a) experience and b) a caring attitude about diligently trying to really help the patient, without a certification board applying theoretical standards without ever looking in the mouth of a treated patient. My Mexican dentist beat the hell out of any American dentist I've ever consulted on item b), and I admit that I might have just been lucky.

I'd go back to my Mexican dentist in a minute, unless what I needed was a specialization that she does not have.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:11 PM

972 posts, read 3,929,373 times
To be a certified Medical Dentist in Mexico you have to study for 5 years minimum in a university and then have your professional id, and you are by the supervision of Secretaria de Salud, so dont think you can take just a few months study to become a Dentist in Mexico.

But if you are not confident with this, then why take risks? Go to a dentist in the USA.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:18 PM

5 posts, read 41,723 times
You probably aren't looking for this kind of answer, but I've had both good and bad experiences with dentists in Mexico. My work was just to have cavities filled and both dentists were in neighboring towns. The first was a mistake. I felt uncomfortable going in because all the equipment looked out dated. She did not use any novicain until my body lept a foot out of the seat when she touched a nerve. Even then she did not wait for me to go numb before diving back in.

For the second guy, he was recommended to me by my dad. I can't remember if my dad was able to save his own front teeth or if he got replacements after having them knocked out during a robbery. This guys office was simple, but very well maintained. His mannerisms were so careful and gentle that I did not need novacain. My neighbors also had wisdom teeth pulled by this guy and had very successful recoveries. Id go back to him if I still lived there.

Old 05-03-2011, 04:24 PM

950 posts, read 1,517,885 times
You live in the U.S and you want to go to a dentist in Mexico, lol. That is like somebody in the Dominican Republic wanting to go to a dentist in Haiti or somebody in Argentina wanting to go to a dentist in Bolivia.

Old 05-07-2011, 08:20 AM

1,285 posts, read 3,345,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Blood View Post
You live in the U.S and you want to go to a dentist in Mexico, lol. That is like somebody in the Dominican Republic wanting to go to a dentist in Haiti or somebody in Argentina wanting to go to a dentist in Bolivia.
Not even a close comparison. One can take a vacation package, fly into MX, stay in a nice hotel, have extensive dental work and still save thousands over what the same dental work is in the U.S. There are some bad dentist in MX but I bet people who have had dental care in the U.S. and Mexico will have fewer complaints about MX dentists. This is definitely true for MX medical doctors who give far superior care to patients than U.S. doctors.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:37 PM

351 posts, read 667,924 times
Default Dental

I live in Phoenix and went to the Dentist today and with AmeriPlan which is a discount and not an insurance they want about $10,000 and get this $2,000 to clean my teeth but with AmeriPlan it's only $1,250. I got a printout of my xrays and don't know if I need a digital copy. I'm retired and I don't have insurance so I am thinking of going to Algodones for my dental work but I know know anything about it.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:34 AM

4 posts, read 10,548 times
Getting into Algodones is pretty easy. There is parking right next to the entrance. Going during "snow-bird" season will cause you to wait to get back across the border, and make sure you have your passport with you.

As far as the actual dentists go, there are hundreds and you are inundated with signs the second you cross through the gates. Check out Dr. Iniguez at Dr. Isaias Iniguez Dentist Yuma Algodones Mexico. I lived in Yuma for 5 years and both he and my wife went to him on numerous occasions. He has a large clean office and has been doing this for years. If I'm not mistaken, he's also the only dentist in Mexico accredited by the AACD, which is one of the reasons we originally went to him.

We moved to Texas 2 years ago, and have yet to find a dentist we liked as much as Dr. I.

As far as costs go, you won't see any numbers even remotely in the same area code as the ones you mentioned above.

Old 10-14-2011, 10:51 AM

4 posts, read 10,548 times
I know I'm reviving an older thread here but referrals and licenses are key. Also, many dentists along the border have also studied or have been accredited by organizations within the US. These accreditations for the dentist to uphold a higher standard than one that has only trained and been practicing in Mexico.

As for my personal experiences, I lived in Yuma for 5 years and took my wife and I to a dentist in Algodones (much less crime compared with TJ and Juarez). It was on the recommendation of friends that we visited him the first time, and on our own confortability factor with him that we kept going back. One of the things that drew us to him was the fact that he speaks nationally (U.S.) at different conferences and is also accredited with the AACD. (The only dentist in Mexico that is).

We have since moved to Tx and I have yet to find anyone as like Dr. Iniguez. His website is Dr. Isaias Iniguez Dentist Yuma Algodones Mexico.

Old 10-18-2011, 07:36 PM

684 posts, read 1,124,030 times
Better then the UK's, you can be assured of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico