Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 07:38 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,934,577 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. Thanks for the link to the Mexperience website! More crazy questions for you?

I can pull off looking like a local walking in Chicago or New York - I probably could pull it off walking in Mexico City - until I reach an intersection and start looking like I don't know what to do or how to cross.

How far outside the bullring would I have to walk to get to a taxi sitio? I would imagine right after the bullfight there will be many street taxis that I would not want to get. If worse comes to worse - could I arrange something with my hotel before I leave to the corrida to have them pick me up?

Taking the Metro - are all the stops/stations above ground?

I think as a backup plan I would use the San Antonio metro. Is there something online that can explain in English the way via San Antonio metro station back to the airport?

Do the onsite airport hotels (and offsite) have ATMs? Would the exchange rate be a lot worse if I exchanged dollars for pesos here in the Midwest USA before my travel?

Can you suggest a really nice hotel in the Polanco section?

I have been to 5 or 6 bullfights in my life - all in Tijuana. The last one I bought the ticket here in the US via online (boletos.com I believe?). I am fascinated with them.
There should be taxis right outside the bullring. If not, there are taxis going up & down the streets constantly. Hail one down.

No, all subway stations are not above ground. Most are below ground. I will look for a decent English website that shows the subway layout and post it here if I find one.

I should think an airport hotel would have an ATM. Any big shopping mall (or Walmart--which are everywhere here) has them. It's not a bad idea to exchange currency before you come. The currrent ATM exchange rate is about 13.3 pesos per dollar.

Check out Camino Real Polanco or Habita for hotel accomodations. Both in Polanco.

GOOD LUCK! I live here, so if you have any other Q's when you're here in January 2015, send a private message and I'll be happy to respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2014, 01:13 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,898,473 times
Quote:
Thanks everyone for your replies. Thanks for the link to the Mexperience website! More crazy questions for you?

I can pull off looking like a local walking in Chicago or New York - I probably could pull it off walking in Mexico City - until I reach an intersection and start looking like I don't know what to do or how to cross.

How far outside the bullring would I have to walk to get to a taxi sitio? I would imagine right after the bullfight there will be many street taxis that I would not want to get. If worse comes to worse - could I arrange something with my hotel before I leave to the corrida to have them pick me up?

I think as a backup plan I would use the San Antonio metro. Is there something online that can explain in English the way via San Antonio metro station back to the airport?

Do the onsite airport hotels (and offsite) have ATMs? Would the exchange rate be a lot worse if I exchanged dollars for pesos here in the Midwest USA before my travel?

I have been to 5 or 6 bullfights in my life - all in Tijuana. The last one I bought the ticket here in the US via online (boletos.com I believe?). I am fascinated with them.
If you have a smartphone you will be fine. Just make sure you have a maps program that either works offline or you save numerous local maps on your phone with Google Maps so they appear offline or line up a data plan for Mexico before you leave and you can always find your way with GPS help. Streets are actually very well marked for the most part, almost every corner has a street sign or in some cases it will be on the walls of buildings on the corner.

The main thing is to just make sure you head in the right direction from when you get off a train or bus. If you use the metro or bus just think in terms of which direction your are heading. If you know you are going south on a train, when you get off keep that in mind and say to yourself which direction you are going when you turn. So you get off a southbound train and the door is on the right, you are facing west as you exit. If you have to make a left turn to go towards the exit you are now heading south. Every time you turn just say to yourself which direction you are now going. Once you get out of the station you should have your bearings and then can be reasonably sure you are going in the right direction. Once again a smartphone with maps would be a huge help as well.

My guess is the first day you will have some little issues with staying oriented, so plan to get there a day or two before the bullfight and go see other sites like the centro where its really hard to get lost for long. As for hotels Polanco is very expensive, but if your budget can handle it go for it as its quite nice and has plenty to see and eat nearby. The centro and many places along Reforma are better values and easier on the budget. My last trip I spent two nights at the Suites Del Angel and found it very nice in a convenient and relatively safe location for a visitor, but there are many other good choices in that general vicinity so do some research. Definitely avoid staying near the airport unless you are arriving late or leaving early.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:38 AM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times
Quote:

I don't think taking the metro is the safest option as you are a gringo with luggage. Take a taxi ONLY FROM the official station at the airport. Do not accept a proposal from the men wandering around the airport.

It's not like LAX. There are a limited number of hotels connected to the airport which are expensive, but there is not a hotel district nearby.

A decent hotel for usually less than US$90 is
NH Mexico City Reforma 4 stars
Liverpool, 155; Zona Rosa. 6600 Mexico City (Mexico)
Tel. +52.55.52289928
Reservations: +34 91 398 46 64
Email: nhmexicocity@nh-hotels.com.

Rather than spring for a lot of money in a hotel in Polanco, stay at NH hotel and walk to TEZKA at AMBERES 78 which specializes in nueva cocina Basque created by Chef Juan Mari Arzac. The yellow tuna in a sweet and spicy sauce, or liver prepared with beer, green pepper, and malt. The starters are exquisite, especially the caldo de xipiron (broth of baby squid). Entrees are between $15 and $30 US dollars.

The Zona Rosa district is a popular tourist district where you can walk around safely. It's a little gay, but that just means the restaurants are good.

Get pesos from an ATM just like in the USA.

It is 3 miles to the bull ring from Zona Rosa. It won't be expensive to take a taxi.

Old 10-22-2014, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I don't think taking the metro is the safest option as you are a gringo with luggage. Take a taxi ONLY FROM the official station at the airport. Do not accept a proposal from the men wandering around the airport.

It's not like LAX. There are a limited number of hotels connected to the airport which are expensive, but there is not a hotel district nearby.

A decent hotel for usually less than US$90 is
NH Mexico City Reforma 4 stars
Liverpool, 155; Zona Rosa. 6600 Mexico City (Mexico)
Tel. +52.55.52289928
Reservations: +34 91 398 46 64
Email: nhmexicocity@nh-hotels.com.

Rather than spring for a lot of money in a hotel in Polanco, stay at NH hotel and walk to TEZKA at AMBERES 78 which specializes in nueva cocina Basque created by Chef Juan Mari Arzac. The yellow tuna in a sweet and spicy sauce, or liver prepared with beer, green pepper, and malt. The starters are exquisite, especially the caldo de xipiron (broth of baby squid). Entrees are between $15 and $30 US dollars.

The Zona Rosa district is a popular tourist district where you can walk around safely. It's a little gay, but that just means the restaurants are good.

Get pesos from an ATM just like in the USA.

It is 3 miles to the bull ring from Zona Rosa. It won't be expensive to take a taxi.
I also advocated for taking taxis and using an ATM. I am happy to see you agree with this.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
I also advocated for taking taxis and using an ATM. I am happy to see you agree with this.
The fact that he wanted to use public transit in Chicago and NYC implies to me he's on a budget and would rather not spend the money for taxis in cases where he doesn't have to and would be as upset at having to pay a total of $7 for a $100 ATM withdrawal as I was. Would be just as easy for him to eschew transit in those cities for taxis as well, but what do I know? He hasn't mentioned if he's trying to do this on a modest budget or if he'll pay whatever to make it easiest on himself.

I'm giving him suggestions which would serve someone on a budget and avoiding the fear mongering about the city which is way too common. I have spent many months living in the city before and had zero problems doing exactly what I suggest.

Old 10-22-2014, 03:11 PM

87 posts, read 164,215 times
PacoMartin, Willy702, TotallyTam - all your infomation is valid. Obviously I would like to know the options from a lower budget point of view - as well as more expensive options - as they may or may not be better options for safety. I may end up doing both taxi and metro - or not. Maybe the Metro will be better tackled on a second visit. But I will plan for both. I will have a smartphone with me - but probably not connected to data/web. However I plan to have maps printed out and folded in my pocket. I am traveling very light - minimal stuff - I will just be carrying one bag - like a gym bag. I will be there on a Saturday afternoon thru early morning Monday.

There is a metro station at the airport, correct. How far a walk form customs?

TotallyTam - if you do see an english website with the MC train layout - that would be wonderful if you could post it!

Thanks again everyone !

Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM

Quote:
PacoMartin, Willy702, TotallyTam - all your infomation is valid. Obviously I would like to know the options from a lower budget point of view - as well as more expensive options - as they may or may not be better options for safety. I may end up doing both taxi and metro - or not. Maybe the Metro will be better tackled on a second visit. But I will plan for both. I will have a smartphone with me - but probably not connected to data/web. However I plan to have maps printed out and folded in my pocket. I am traveling very light - minimal stuff - I will just be carrying one bag - like a gym bag. I will be there on a Saturday afternoon thru early morning Monday.

There is a metro station at the airport, correct. How far a walk form customs?

TotallyTam - if you do see an english website with the MC train layout - that would be wonderful if you could post it!

Thanks again everyone !
Depends on what terminal you arrive in. The old terminal is just a 5 minute walk outside the terminal down a well traveled safe path. If you fly to the newer terminal you need to get back to the older terminal first. There is a monorail that makes the trip but I am not sure how you can get on it as I have never flown into the new terminal. If you have just a gym bag and are arriving on Saturday you will have no problem getting on the metro.

If you would prefer to see the city you have just flown into ride the Metrobus for 30 pesos, it takes you right into the middle of the city through the centro and past the Alameda and Reforma. There is always a uniformed transit police riding on it and lots of cameras and its never crowded because few people want to pay 30 pesos for a bus. It stops in the middle of both terminals and there is a vending machine which sells rechargeable transit cards right next to the door you go out to catch the bus.

For metro and metrobus download an app called "Metro y Metrobus de Mexico" That will be a good test for you as it is only in Spanish. If you can handle that you should be fine traveling as going into the system is no more complicated. It has good diagrams of all the lines and has maps so you can see the surrounding areas of each station. There are some websites that discuss the Metro in English, but the system map is pretty self explanatory and doesn't need to be translated.

Old 10-28-2014, 09:37 PM

14,611 posts, read 17,603,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I'm giving him suggestions which would serve someone on a budget and avoiding the fear mongering about the city which is way too common. I have spent many months living in the city before and had zero problems doing exactly what I suggest.
I liked MC, and I don't think I am a fear monger. I would take the subway without luggage. But as the line from the subway stop does not head toward the center, you will have to board and change trains at least once, and probably twice. Taxis in MC are not as expensive as other metropolitan areas.

I never paid 7% fee on an ATM in Mexico. The normal rate was closer to 1%.

Zona Rosa is safe to walk around, and their are food options at all prices. It isn't far to get to tourist destinations, and I suggested a reasonable price hotel (under US$90).

Last edited by PacoMartin; 10-28-2014 at 09:48 PM..

Old 10-29-2014, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacoMartin View Post
I liked MC, and I don't think I am a fear monger. I would take the subway without luggage. But as the line from the subway stop does not head toward the center, you will have to board and change trains at least once, and probably twice. Taxis in MC are not as expensive as other metropolitan areas.

I never paid 7% fee on an ATM in Mexico. The normal rate was closer to 1%.

Zona Rosa is safe to walk around, and their are food options at all prices. It isn't far to get to tourist destinations, and I suggested a reasonable price hotel (under US$90).
I agree on Zona Rosa. The ATM fee is the fee you pay to the ATM. So if you withdraw 500 pesos they will add a 25-30 peso charge to your withdrawal and then they usually use a fair exchange rate on that. But then most US banks charge $3-5 fee for an international withdrawal. So if you took out around $100, which probably would be plenty for the OP's short trip, he would end up paying around a 7% fee.

As for luggage, the OP said a gym bag. That's not what I'd call luggage. He's not even going to be around for 48 hours. The metro would be fine if he chose to use it.

Alright I'm done arguing with people. All I ask is to stop telling tourists public transit is so dangerous and telling people to live in a mild form of fear when they visit. Thousands of visitors every day do it without problems using just a little common sense.

Old 10-29-2014, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
I agree on Zona Rosa. The ATM fee is the fee you pay to the ATM. So if you withdraw 500 pesos they will add a 25-30 peso charge to your withdrawal and then they usually use a fair exchange rate on that. But then most US banks charge $3-5 fee for an international withdrawal. So if you took out around $100, which probably would be plenty for the OP's short trip, he would end up paying around a 7% fee.

As for luggage, the OP said a gym bag. That's not what I'd call luggage. He's not even going to be around for 48 hours. The metro would be fine if he chose to use it.

Alright I'm done arguing with people. All I ask is to stop telling tourists public transit is so dangerous and telling people to live in a mild form of fear when they visit. Thousands of visitors every day do it without problems using just a little common sense.
Yes, they do... and PacoMartin and I were merely letting the OP know to be mindful and to use common sense. I live in Mexico City and have done so for 4+ years. I would give the same advice to a foreign-born tourist visiting New York City. It is not fear-mongering. I certainly don't walk around in "mild fear" (as you say) in this city. Another reason it is better to use a taxi is the length of time the OP will be here, and the fact that he doesn't speak Spanish. Why spend valuable down-time figuring out the bus routes and subway when he's here for such a short visit? I would rather get in a taxi and get to my chosen destination and back to the airport on time...pronto.

As for the ATM fees---sure, you pay the local ATM fee and the fee your bank charges for using an out of network bank for the withdrawal. The same or similar fees would be charged if you withdrew from an ATM in an out of network bank within the U.S. Plus, the OP will not have to try to communicate his needs to someone who most likely will not speak English. For me, the convenience (and better exchange rate for pesos) of using an ATM here outweighs the 5 bucks you'll pay in fees.

OP: If you use an ATM, look for these banks' ATMs--they charge the lowest ATM fees, in my experience...Santander, ScotiaBank, HSBC, Affirme and IXE Banco. Stay away from Banorte and Bancomer. Most Walmarts have a Santander ATM (fyi).

Last edited by TotallyTam; 10-29-2014 at 07:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico