Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2014, 12:26 PM

87 posts, read 164,331 times

Advertisements

I live in the midwest USA. Will be staying in an onsite Mexico City airport hotel for two nights on a Saturday/Sunday in January 2015. I had Spanish in high school (decades ago) - so I could probably communicate a few simple phrases - but most likely would only understand hearing those phrases stated very slowly to me - which is not normal conversation. Anyway I will be wanting to attend a bullfight at the Plaza De Toros on Sunday. Flying into Mexico City from Anaheim via Southwest. It will be my first time flying into another country from the USA. I have been to Tijuana a few times recently (via tour bus over the border). I have many questions.

What is it like getting off the plane, going thru customs, getting into the main part of the airport? Anything I need to be aware of? I am packing lite - just one carry-on.

Folks that are behind the counter at the airport, as well as other businesses like food places in the airport or the onsite hotels - do they speak English?

Do you recommend trading dollars for pesos? Where in the airport can I do that, and how much should I trade? Are dollars accepted anywhere (in the airport/outside the airport)? I am not there to spend a lot of money or buy things. Just meals, transportation, and the bullfight.

Can I get bottled drinks in the airport and while I am there in Mexico should they be the only things I use for drinking (or rinse my mouth with - or wash my hands with)?

What about offsite hotels near the airport or not so near? They may be a lot cheaper which is a good thing. I may be willing to be adventurous and stay at one of those. What hotels do you recommend?
What is the process to get a taxi from the airport?

Transportation - I pride myself on being able to quickly learn and use local transportation (buses, subways, trains) when I visit other American cities (like Chicago, LA, NYC). However - this is a foreign country and a different language. My thinking is that - when I want to go to the Plaza De Toros - I would just walk thru the airport and catch a taxi. But would you recommend bus or light rail? If so, how and what lines? I want to make sure I do not get lost (which hardly ever happens, but it can) so I am willing to go the slightly more expensive route with a taxi.

How about getting a taxi outside the bullring for the way back to the airport hotel? What is that process?

Do you recommend I join a tour that includes the bullfight? Or do all of this on my own - which I should be able to pull off.

Thanks so much in advance !!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2014, 01:18 PM

836 posts, read 2,950,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell2323 View Post
What is it like getting off the plane, going thru customs, getting into the main part of the airport? Anything I need to be aware of? I am packing lite - just one carry-on.
Same as USA.

Quote:
Folks that are behind the counter at the airport, as well as other businesses like food places in the airport or the onsite hotels - do they speak English?
Yes.

Quote:
Do you recommend trading dollars for pesos? Where in the airport can I do that, and how much should I trade? Are dollars accepted anywhere (in the airport/outside the airport)? I am not there to spend a lot of money or buy things. Just meals, transportation, and the bullfight.
Yes, you can trade in the airport.

Quote:
Can I get bottled drinks in the airport and while I am there in Mexico should they be the only things I use for drinking (or rinse my mouth with - or wash my hands with)?
Yes, you can buy bottled wáter and drinks in all Mexico, you can wash your hands with tap wáter without issues.

Quote:
What about offsite hotels near the airport or not so near? They may be a lot cheaper which is a good thing. I may be willing to be adventurous and stay at one of those. What hotels do you recommend?
What is the process to get a taxi from the airport?
Hotel Roosevelt Welcome to Roosevelt Hotel in Mexico City | Roosevelt Hotel

Taxi´s are easy to find in the airport and they have fare from zone, it´s really easy.

Quote:
Transportation - I pride myself on being able to quickly learn and use local transportation (buses, subways, trains) when I visit other American cities (like Chicago, LA, NYC). However - this is a foreign country and a different language. My thinking is that - when I want to go to the Plaza De Toros - I would just walk thru the airport and catch a taxi. But would you recommend bus or light rail? If so, how and what lines? I want to make sure I do not get lost (which hardly ever happens, but it can) so I am willing to go the slightly more expensive route with a taxi.
You can use the subway, but I recommend a Taxi.

Quote:
How about getting a taxi outside the bullring for the way back to the airport hotel? What is that process?
Is easy, the same thing you do in Chicago, NY or LA you can do it in Mexico City.

Quote:
Do you recommend I join a tour that includes the bullfight? Or do all of this on my own - which I should be able to pull off.

Thanks so much in advance !!!
It´s better to discover things by yourself, but that´s my feeling.

Old 10-20-2014, 01:39 PM

5,652 posts, read 6,997,999 times
Some good taxi advice: Mexico Taxis Taxi Cab Fares Costs Safety. I haven't been to a bullfight since 1994, so not sure about the taxi situation getting back to the hotel. But the linked article tells you what to look for if you want to hail a cab from there.

Personally, since you're going to Mexico City for the first time, why not live it up a little. Don't stay at a vanilla airport hotel. Head over to the Polanco section of town. As a first-time visitor you'll likely feel much safer than if you were staying right downtown (which is itself safe, but somewhat more congested and confusing) and you'll be able to walk around the Polanco area to shops/restaurants. It's a beautiful area. Plus it's on the same Metro line (orange) as the San Antonio stop you'd use to get to Plaza de Toros. The Plaza de Toros is about a 7 block walk due east.

As far as the bullfights go, it's kinda grotesque, but I'll spare you the details. Just know that you're going "offseason" which is sort of like watching minor league bullfighting. And yes they sell bottled water there, but you're also safe drinking soda (no ice) or beer.

As you're concerned about the water, IMO, if you're eating in a better restaurant or decent hotel, the water is fine, and you can eat a salad no problem. I've never gotten sick from it. Might want to stay away from strawberries though. Tough to rinse those thoroughly.

Old 10-20-2014, 02:32 PM

1,275 posts, read 1,935,657 times
Not everyone behind all counters speak English. The airline employees and some customs people speak English. I would not expect English at food counters.

There are currency exchange booths in abundance at the airport. I live here in Mexico City for half of each year, so I have been in and out of this airport more times than I can now count. My friends here warn against doing your currency exchange at the airport (for security reasons). I say use an ATM machine when you get there. The exchange rate at an ATM, believe it or not, is always better than the exchange booths in the airport.

Yes, I recommend bottled water for drinking and brushing your teeth.

Hotels...anywhere in Polanco or near the Angel de Indepencia would be better than the airport area.

Taxis...it is mostly the same as in the U.S. But take only marked taxis, do not take ride offers from cars that do not look like taxis. Also, taxi drivers typically do not speak English. FYI.

There are no bus or rail time schedules here. Nor are the bus routes marked with numbers as they are in the US. Honestly, if you are only here for a weekend, take taxis. They are relatively cheap and it will save you having to know what bus or subway routes to use.

There are taxis galore just about anywhere where tourist are. Just hail one down, or go to the sitio where they are parked.

Plaza del Toros...I have no idea the schedule at the bull ring. But unless you have a bonafide schedule of events, I would not plan on seeing anything remotely like what you have in mind. Of course do what you want, but it is waaaay more interesting to visit the historical center of Mexico City.

Old 10-20-2014, 06:04 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,904,390 times
Its a very easy process to get to the bullfights, nothing that difficult at all. Take the metro to Insurgentes station and then change over to a Metrobus there and go to Ciudad de Los Deportes stop. Or you could just take the Metro to the San Antonio station and walk about 6 blocks further. With basic Spanish skills you'll figure out the machines pretty quickly, best thing is to buy a rechargeable fare card when you first arrive at the airport and then use that for your trip adding value if you need to at windows in metro stations. Since its a short trip you will hopefully pack light and you can take the Metrobus into the city for just 30 pesos, an amount which won't even get you off the airport property if you take the authorized taxis there.

Sunday afternoon the metro will be reasonably busy, but not rush hour busy so you should be fine. A taxi will cost you quite a bit, especially if you do a radio or sitio taxi (not hailed from the street) you are looking at around 150-200 pesos from the centro and more from the airport. A ride on the metro is 5 pesos and metrobus is 6 pesos.

When you get there you will see the signs with the categories of seating and prices. Bullfights are mostly empty these days, or so I hear, so never a problem getting a ticket. Its an interesting experience, something to do once in your life. I went once 8 years ago and feel no urge to return.

As for exchanging money, I suggest doing it at the airport. There is intense competition there, the best rates you will find in the city as there are dozens of exchangers operating. Just be sure you do it after you leave customs because the rates before you walk out of customs are horrible. ATM will give you just a slightly better rate, but you'll have to pay a $3 fee in most cases at the ATM and then a $3 or more fee from your bank so in the end I doubt you'll be better off with the ATM.

Old 10-20-2014, 07:13 PM

Willy702 has decent suggestions. However, I suggested taking a taxi to the bullfight for two reasons. 1) Taxi fare is cheap, in my opinion. 150-200 pesos is not that much money to drive across this town (200 pesos= about $15). Taxi rates are quite low in this big city--take advantage of it to travel in relative comfort. Busses are extremely uncomfortable and often so overcrowded to the point of having to stand the whole way to your destination. The bullring is further away than it looks on the map--especially given the crazy layout, driving and road conditions in this city. Navigating on busses and subways in a city this crowded and congested will be challenging (even on a Sunday) for someone who has never been here, and speaks very little Spanish. I doubt the OP will be able to ask people on the street for directions if he gets turned around, or understand the response he'll get if he does try to ask. 2) It will be safer to take a taxi. Someone who looks like a tourist, speaks no Spanish, etc. is an easy target. Not that I think anything will happen---but this is one of the most populated cities in the world, and it doesn't have a great reputation for public safety, police protection, etc.

My ATM suggestion also had to do with security. Sadly, MC airport is a hot spot hang-out for scoundrels watching who goes to the currency exchange booths (and then follow you out to rob you of your cash). Of course, someone could also do this at an ATM, but if you use ATMs in a shopping mall, the hotel, or a Walmart, etc., the chances of someone specifically hanging out at the ATM to rob is much less. There are oodles of security guards in malls and such, but not at the exchange booths at the airport. True. Better safe than sorry, I say.

Old 10-20-2014, 08:35 PM

6,385 posts, read 11,904,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TotallyTam View Post
Willy702 has decent suggestions. However, I suggested taking a taxi to the bullfight for two reasons. 1) Taxi fare is cheap, in my opinion. 150-200 pesos is not that much money to drive across this town (200 pesos= about $15). Taxi rates are quite low in this big city--take advantage of it to travel in relative comfort. Busses are extremely uncomfortable and often so overcrowded to the point of having to stand the whole way to your destination. The bullring is further away than it looks on the map--especially given the crazy layout, driving and road conditions in this city. Navigating on busses and subways in a city this crowded and congested will be challenging (even on a Sunday) for someone who has never been here, and speaks very little Spanish. I doubt the OP will be able to ask people on the street for directions if he gets turned around, or understand the response he'll get if he does try to ask. 2) It will be safer to take a taxi. Someone who looks like a tourist, speaks no Spanish, etc. is an easy target. Not that I think anything will happen---but this is one of the most populated cities in the world, and it doesn't have a great reputation for public safety, police protection, etc.

My ATM suggestion also had to do with security. Sadly, MC airport is a hot spot hang-out for scoundrels watching who goes to the currency exchange booths (and then follow you out to rob you of your cash). Of course, someone could also do this at an ATM, but if you use ATMs in a shopping mall, the hotel, or a Walmart, etc., the chances of someone specifically hanging out at the ATM to rob is much less. There are oodles of security guards in malls and such, but not at the exchange booths at the airport. True. Better safe than sorry, I say.
Do you walk around in total fear there? Do you think the criminals can smell your fear? Besides what do you think criminals will think if they see someone who looks like a foreigner and is walking out of the airport? They will think he has money. He does not need to go to an exchange place or ATM to convince them of it.

I don't tell people to be mindless of their surroundings, but the harder you try to hide what you are and what you are doing, the more obvious it will be. Mexico City isn't an inordinately dangerous city as long as you stay out of the bad sides of town. No need to think oh my goodness, everything is unsafe. The OP said he had no fear of figuring his way around Chicago and NYC transit, this won't be terribly different. Its fun and interesting anyways to see the city by transit on Sunday and anytime outside of rush hour.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:56 PM

10,116 posts, read 19,433,050 times
Its been a long time since I've been there, but the bullfights are more of a "lower-class" type of entertainment. If you do go, pop for the most expensive seats, at least you won't be waaaaaaay up top, and the most expensive seats really aren't that much more.

I would suggest your time better spent going to the top of the Latin American Tower, the tallest building in Latin America. It takes 2 elevators to get to the top! I believe there's a small charge, just to keep people from riding the elevator all day for kicks The view from the top is spectacular, especially at night all lit up. There is---or was--- a bar and restaurant up there.

Old 10-21-2014, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy702 View Post
Do you walk around in total fear there? Do you think the criminals can smell your fear? Besides what do you think criminals will think if they see someone who looks like a foreigner and is walking out of the airport? They will think he has money. He does not need to go to an exchange place or ATM to convince them of it.

I don't tell people to be mindless of their surroundings, but the harder you try to hide what you are and what you are doing, the more obvious it will be. Mexico City isn't an inordinately dangerous city as long as you stay out of the bad sides of town. No need to think oh my goodness, everything is unsafe. The OP said he had no fear of figuring his way around Chicago and NYC transit, this won't be terribly different. Its fun and interesting anyways to see the city by transit on Sunday and anytime outside of rush hour.
I most certainly do not walk around in fear, Mr. Willy. I have lived in this city for four+ years, and have lived and travelled in many other big international cities in my life. I walk, take busses, subways and taxis around MC all the time, practically every day. But I speak Spanish--so that makes a big difference. I have done the same in LA, NYC, London and Paris. This includes the "not so great" neighborhoods in all of these cities. Nothing has ever happened to me---and nothing will probably happen to tourists when they come here. I even said that in my last post. I was merely letting the OP know that MC is very lax about public safety, and police protection here is nearly nil. You can't argue with that, can you?

Old 10-21-2014, 05:55 PM

87 posts, read 164,331 times
Thanks everyone for your replies. Thanks for the link to the Mexperience website! More crazy questions for you?

I can pull off looking like a local walking in Chicago or New York - I probably could pull it off walking in Mexico City - until I reach an intersection and start looking like I don't know what to do or how to cross.

How far outside the bullring would I have to walk to get to a taxi sitio? I would imagine right after the bullfight there will be many street taxis that I would not want to get. If worse comes to worse - could I arrange something with my hotel before I leave to the corrida to have them pick me up?

Taking the Metro - are all the stops/stations above ground?

I think as a backup plan I would use the San Antonio metro. Is there something online that can explain in English the way via San Antonio metro station back to the airport?

Do the onsite airport hotels (and offsite) have ATMs? Would the exchange rate be a lot worse if I exchanged dollars for pesos here in the Midwest USA before my travel?

Can you suggest a really nice hotel in the Polanco section?

I have been to 5 or 6 bullfights in my life - all in Tijuana. The last one I bought the ticket here in the US via online (boletos.com I believe?). I am fascinated with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico