Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 10:12 AM

972 posts, read 3,926,554 times

Advertisements

as you said, while mexico is in corruption mode, there´s no way can improve their development, sadly the political options are equal in corruption, the party in the government PAN now is almost equal that the PRI, and the PRD is an old version of the PRI....

Corruption = More Money = Poverty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2009, 12:30 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,715,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
as you said, while mexico is in corruption mode, there´s no way can improve their development, sadly the political options are equal in corruption, the party in the government PAN now is almost equal that the PRI, and the PRD is an old version of the PRI....

Corruption = More Money = Poverty.
There's only corruption because the people allow it. If there was a mass uprising, rally's in the major cities; I mean big, big rally's 500,000+ rallying against government corruption and narco traffickers, then change would happen. Mexico should be a 1st world country, but the people just seem content to allow corruption to run their lives. This is very sad to me.

Old 01-29-2009, 12:58 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,586,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tono.eslo4 View Post
"While there is significant wealth in Mexico, it is held by a small elite of Spanish light skinned European people. The Spanish people control the government, the media, and business community. The rest the people are poor and most of them are dark skinned Indian."

I don´t know why you think that, but what you said it is not true. I am mexican; I am not white neither of spanish descendence and I am part of the middle class. Most mexicans (80%) are mestizos (Europeans mixed with indians) not dark skinned indians.
Phrases like "In what part of Mexico is Chile located" or "you don't sound like a Mexican so you must be from Brazil..." reveal the ignorance of the average american towards the rest of the world (because it's not only about southamerica or "3rd world countries"). And you expect something better than "a small amount of rich white people are controlling the poor indians"? I talked to an american doctor once and she was surprised about Chile having internet access. She said "but how is it possible. I've been in Mexico [again!] and they just have these poor huts..."

Do I need to continue? You're lucky if they don't call immigration if you have what they call "dark complexion", because they use to think every hispanic is an illegal alien.

Talking about Mexico as a first world country, it would be great, but I don't know. Central and South America are having serious problems with corruption, democracy is relatively new and it's sad to say people just live day after day. It's a completely different attitude compared to the "anglo" countries. It's lucky if some % of the population wants to earn a degree. Even countries like Argentina. Maybe they seem ok, but their economy has not being the best the last years. Let's remember the crisis of "corralito" not long ago.

Old 01-29-2009, 08:10 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonrise View Post
There's only corruption because the people allow it. If there was a mass uprising, rally's in the major cities; I mean big, big rally's 500,000+ rallying against government corruption and narco traffickers, then change would happen. Mexico should be a 1st world country, but the people just seem content to allow corruption to run their lives. This is very sad to me.
There's corruption and there's corruption. Mexicans have always tolerated police and government officials and the mordidas. In fact many Mexicans here when given a traffic ticket think it's ridiculous to pay a $200 fine when back home about $10 worth of pesos could generally get it taken care of.

The thing in Mexico, you can meet the most honest good hearted people who wouldn't rob you if you gave them a key to everything you have, but one of my neighbors from Mexico laughs at the suggestion that Mexico could become uncorrupt. He says that's never going to happen because if you remove one corrupt group in power, the group taking over will also be corrupt, and remove them and the next group will also be corrupt. He said you could keep on going until you got down to the bottom and they'd still be corrupt, and he'll say "all of us are corrupt" yet he really isn't, but when you tell him that, he says it's because he has no power or he would be. It's not part of the Mexican Constitution though because it's not bad.

Old 01-29-2009, 09:48 PM

2,271 posts, read 5,150,005 times
I don't see it in the near future. The illegal Mexicans I've know here are afraid to go back or don't wish to.

Old 01-29-2009, 11:12 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,439,354 times
yes but illegal Mexicans only account for 10% of the population

Old 01-29-2009, 11:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,457,092 times
no they will not. their labor force is here. without a labor force all you got is drug soldiers.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
yes but illegal Mexicans only account for 10% of the population
Even if that is the case, I think 10% is a significant amount (especially in raw numbers) and it's a percentage no matter how you slice it.

Old 01-31-2009, 01:36 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,439,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Even if that is the case, I think 10% is a significant amount (especially in raw numbers) and it's a percentage no matter how you slice it.
yes I agree with all what you said, but 90% is a lot more!

Old 01-31-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
yes I agree with all what you said, but 90% is a lot more!
Yes, you are not a bad math student I see , but as compared to the amount of American citizens living illegally in other countries. it's pretty shameful and sad. If that many people have willfully made the choice to accept the hardships (and the few benefits) associated with life as an illegal immigrant, then obviously there is something wrong. I also know of a large amount of Mexican citizens who have the urge to leave every day, but they are willing to be part of change, instead of just being spectators. Americans are grappling with this difficult situation too (in light of the economy), but I don't think too many of us have jumped into the Atlantic yet, because I think most of us know that for change to happen we have to be part of the process. Trust me, I know there are a lot of nice things and places in Mexico, all I'm trying to say is it's apparent that some of the citizens were not too thrilled about living there.

Last edited by theSUBlime; 01-31-2009 at 07:44 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico