Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 04:32 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,866 times

Advertisements

On the immigration board, many people are talking about working with Mexico to make it a economic powerhouse like America, Japan and Western Europe. Many people seem to believe that with a little bit of help from America, Mexico will become a strong first world country with a middle class comparable to the United States. While there is significant wealth in Mexico, it is held by a small elite of Spanish light skinned European people. The Spanish people control the government, the media, and business community. The rest the people are poor and most of them are dark skinned Indian.

In my many visits to Mexico I see some very hard working people but a poor infrastructure, little capital available to the average person to set up businesses, a culture that is more concerned with family and today than tommorrow, a lack of interest in education and vocational training, and a laid back culture. Not the things that make a prosperous country.

Do you think this is possible that the Mexican government and economy can be reformed and a strong middle class will form in Mexico with a percapita income similar to Canada or America within the next 50 years?

Last edited by questioner2; 01-10-2008 at 05:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 04:54 AM

433 posts, read 2,357,291 times
I don't see it happening. I think it has become worse as the years go by.

Corrupt. Criminal.

You would think the advantage of proximity to the world's economic powerhouse would rub off on Mexico, but it doesn't. And we in the USA are enablers for allowing America to be Mexico's "safety valve".

Now they are even chasing away the foreign tourists that do go there.

One screwed up place.

Old 01-10-2008, 06:41 AM

15,867 posts, read 21,460,959 times
You must remember that democracy is still a very new thing in Mexico. For 3 generations, there were regular elections but everyone knew it would be the PRI... that's just how it worked.

Unlike Chile and Argentina, the population of Mexico is relatively well distributed. Argentina's economy is growing, but a staggering amount of Argentineans live in Buenos Aires or the suburbs (over half of the country's population if I remember correctly). Mexico has good universities scattered around the country and many sectors of highly educated people. The people you see fleeing to the US are not indicative of the population of Mexico as a whole- it's like the people of Appalachia and Mississippi Delta fleeing to Canada.

The problems are top down. Despite the end of the collective despotism, Mexico's governing class are still vastly corrupt. I can only hope in the future that this will change.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:05 AM

16,259 posts, read 24,779,480 times
It could be if they had a government there that was not corrupt and criminals. It would require a massive program of infrastructure and - yes- population growth controls. But yes, it CAN be done. Look at China. 20 years ago China was poorer than Mexico and it is now becoming a modern country more and more everyday.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:16 AM

419 posts, read 2,019,866 times
There is a history of some countries moving from the third world to the first world. Examples include Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Spain, Italy and Portugal. The European examples were very poor before the second world war, but since they have become modernized they have really changed economically.

All the Countries above have a completely different social culture than Mexico which is not all that interested in education or tommorrow. I think what holds Mexico back is the culture. People live for the day, in most successful cultures-- people live for tommorrow and education is key.

Old 01-10-2008, 07:51 AM

3,955 posts, read 7,203,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by questioner2 View Post
There is a history of some countries moving from the third world to the first world. Examples include Korea, Singapore, Taiwan, Japan, Spain, Italy and Portugal. The European examples were very poor before the second world war, but since they have become modernized they have really changed economically.

All the Countries above have a completely different social culture than Mexico which is not all that interested in education or tommorrow. I think what holds Mexico back is the culture. People live for the day, in most successful cultures-- people live for tommorrow and education is key.
Very well said!

Mexico does not need the help of the USA either! They are getting billions for dollars right now from their oil. I guess most of it is going into Swiss bank accounts.lol

I certainly do NOT want any type of union between the US and Mexico!:-( I know these globalistic lunatics are hoping for this but I pray that it never happens!

Old 01-10-2008, 08:30 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,245,133 times
No they won't. They could become a developed nation though

Old 01-10-2008, 08:56 AM

13,134 posts, read 40,638,438 times
Well president Calderon is trying but it can't be accomplished overnight. I see that just in the last several years Russia is starting to really modernize from the old Soviet Union.

Calderon is putting record number of monies in Mexico's infrustructure.

I was impressed when he mentioned reciently wants to expand BioTech, Pharma Medicines, Alternative Fuels, Nanotechnologies etc,,,as he wants a high tech sector to take hold.

Anyway time will only tell.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/mexic...ng-strong.html City Data Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 10:25 AM

6,202 posts, read 11,461,356 times
If it does, is Mexico City going to be safer (less crime)?

Old 01-10-2008, 10:56 AM

1,828 posts, read 3,792,641 times
Considering how the economy and morals in this country are on the verge of collapse,it is fair to ask if this country will still be a first world country (if it is now) on January 1, 2051?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico