Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2016, 05:23 AM

7,150 posts, read 4,920,670 times

Advertisements

If you drive across the border you need to buy MXN car insurance....your US coverage is no good there and if you have an accident however minor, the authorities will ask to see insurance policy. If you don't have one that is written for MX, they can confiscate your car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2016, 08:05 AM

3,282 posts, read 3,804,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmax View Post
I have traveled the United States extensively but have never visited another country. I want to visit Mexico but am fine just visiting a border town. I'm just wondering which one is the best for a day trip...somewhere where I can experience a bit of shopping, dining and culture in general.
If this is your first time visiting and driving in Mexico, I would suggest visiting Ensenada through Tecate, Mexican scenic road #3. This is all near San Diego. It's a cute little port town with history (you can visit some old historical buildings turned into museums, and go to the bar where the Margarita was invented), and you also have wine country near by (Valle de Guadalupe). You can also stop by Tecate on your way there, a very small little city that has a few touristy places to eat and people watch. This is a calmer part of Baja California, less chaotic than Tijuana. The border crossing is usually better too.

I feel that for people who have never driven in Mexico, Tijuana may be overwhelming and it is not the best designed city. You can easily get lost. I don't suggest you drive into Tijuana unless you know someone familiar with it, that's just my personal opinion.

And yes, always get Mexican car insurance, available in many little kiosks at the border, or online.

Another nice city to visit is Monterrey near Texas- that is a beautiful city.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,625 times
Best place to visit would be Monterrey, Nuevo Leon! Monterrey is one of the largest cities in Mexico and is relatively safe especially in the Monterrey Institute of Technology area (considered to be the top university of Mexico). I purchased my ticket to Monterrey about a week ago and you can't believe how much it came out to, $220 after taxes from Dec 12-Jan 13. If you're young you can visit the clubs where they play mostly house music (I didnt know Mexican's like house either) and after you can enjoy some tacos! What more could you possibly ask for?

Old 11-07-2016, 08:31 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,239,785 times
Quote:
I wouldn't be flying. My husband and I take cross-country driving trips twice a year, so we would be driving.

I thought about visiting El Paso and Ciudad Juarez when we were traveling in Texas in July, but it was sort of a last minute decision, so we didn't have enough time to get passports.

I like the idea of visiting San Diego and then Tijuana.

Thank you for the input, everyone!
Is more convenient to visit Monterrey, it is two hours from the border at Laredo or McAllen, It has many attractions and nearby is the city of Saltillo one of the oldest in Mexico.

Another option is visit Tijuana - Ensenada.

Old 11-07-2016, 11:57 AM

Lots of heat in the plaza right now in TJ, Rosarito and other points on the way to Ensenada. Best to watch and wait until the cartels settle down again.

Old 11-07-2016, 04:46 PM

3,125 posts, read 3,033,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
If you drive across the border you need to buy MXN car insurance....your US coverage is no good there and if you have an accident however minor, the authorities will ask to see insurance policy. If you don't have one that is written for MX, they can confiscate your car.
Thanks for the tip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosa surf View Post
If this is your first time visiting and driving in Mexico, I would suggest visiting Ensenada through Tecate, Mexican scenic road #3. This is all near San Diego. It's a cute little port town with history (you can visit some old historical buildings turned into museums, and go to the bar where the Margarita was invented), and you also have wine country near by (Valle de Guadalupe). You can also stop by Tecate on your way there, a very small little city that has a few touristy places to eat and people watch. This is a calmer part of Baja California, less chaotic than Tijuana. The border crossing is usually better too.

I feel that for people who have never driven in Mexico, Tijuana may be overwhelming and it is not the best designed city. You can easily get lost. I don't suggest you drive into Tijuana unless you know someone familiar with it, that's just my personal opinion.

And yes, always get Mexican car insurance, available in many little kiosks at the border, or online.

Another nice city to visit is Monterrey near Texas- that is a beautiful city.
Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a very nice little route.

Do you need a visa to visit Monterrey? I know you don't need one if you stay a certain number of miles within the border...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinConcordia5 View Post
Best place to visit would be Monterrey, Nuevo Leon! Monterrey is one of the largest cities in Mexico and is relatively safe especially in the Monterrey Institute of Technology area (considered to be the top university of Mexico). I purchased my ticket to Monterrey about a week ago and you can't believe how much it came out to, $220 after taxes from Dec 12-Jan 13. If you're young you can visit the clubs where they play mostly house music (I didnt know Mexican's like house either) and after you can enjoy some tacos! What more could you possibly ask for?
Oh wow! I bet you are excited!! Enjoy your trip!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorChip View Post
Is more convenient to visit Monterrey, it is two hours from the border at Laredo or McAllen, It has many attractions and nearby is the city of Saltillo one of the oldest in Mexico.

Another option is visit Tijuana - Ensenada.
Another vote for Monterrey, I guess!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Lots of heat in the plaza right now in TJ, Rosarito and other points on the way to Ensenada. Best to watch and wait until the cartels settle down again.
This is something that I worry about. I definitely want to be safe when we visit, wherever we choose to visit.

Again, thanks everyone for the input.

Old 11-07-2016, 08:25 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,429,908 times
San Diego/Tijuana

Old 11-08-2016, 08:37 AM

4,098 posts, read 3,743,910 times
If you're visiting Mexico as a tourist you don't need a visa, but you do need a tourist card, which you can get on arrival by completing an immigration form available at border crossings or on-board flights to Mexico.

A US citizen can stay up to six months in Mexico as a tourist without a visa.

Old 11-08-2016, 09:25 AM

6,517 posts, read 7,578,358 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tip! That sounds like a very nice little route.

Do you need a visa to visit Monterrey? I know you don't need one if you stay a certain number of miles within the border...
No, but you cannot drive your vehicle there freely as it exceeds the zona libre, you must get a vehicle permit to drive beyond Nuevo Laredo.

Old 11-08-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
No, but you cannot drive your vehicle there freely as it exceeds the zona libre, you must get a vehicle permit to drive beyond Nuevo Laredo.
Yes you will need visa turista (visa tourist).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico