Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 07:56 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I'm in Tijuana, Mexico now. I'm surprised by the low level of English prificiency ordinary people have here, considering it's only 10 minutes away from the US border.

When I went to McDonald's to order some nuggets and fries, the service girl could not even say words like medium, large in English. And she could not repeat the price in English either. So I had to pretend and guess all the time.

When I had some trouble exiting the garage, the security guy (in early 20s) could not understand any English.

Yes there are people speaking very good English, such as the ones in my hotel. However, I wonder if English is compulsory in schools here? Or any foreign language?

It is not to blame them. Just curious.
Wouldn't it be common courtesy to speak the Language of the country you are in? At least have the respect needed and learn a few basic every day words. Tit for tat.l
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 07:57 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
I mean they neighbour the most powerful country that speaks the most important language in the world. Therefore it's self-evident that being able to speak English is a no-brainer if you wanna have any success in life.
I dunno. If you wanna be a high school principal or a lawyer in Mexico you likely don't need much English at all and that's a way better job than working at McDick's or as a security guard in Tijuana.

Old 07-19-2017, 07:59 AM

26,882 posts, read 38,032,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HumbleMerchant View Post
That's where school should come into play. Don't McDonald's employees and security people go to school or they don't teach English or what? .

Of course English is taught as a second language in Mexican schools. But as evidenced by the second language results in countries all over the world (including in Anglosphere countries, usually with Spanish or French ), just because you are taught a language for X minutes a week, doesn't mean you will acquire any skills in it. For whatever reason some people never retain much at all.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:08 AM
AFP

7,412 posts, read 6,898,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
And why would you eat at McDonald's in Mexico?
That's what I was wondering lol I'd want to try something different McDonalds is disgusting food.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:17 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brymed View Post
In Houston I often run into Mexicans or other varieties of Latinos that do not speak English. They work in entry level jobs like McDonalds, etc.

When I lived in McAllen, Tx I encountered people that spoke English but communicated in Spanish. Their English was excellent. But, they refused to speak English unless it was necessary, like when they had to speak to me, a Latino who only speaks English. They also looked down on me and were insulted because I don't speak Spanish.
^^^This. This behavior can be rather common.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:23 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,758,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Wouldn't it be common courtesy to speak the Language of the country you are in? At least have the respect needed and learn a few basic every day words. Tit for tat.l
It's not what I'm asking. Read my post.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:26 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
For whatever reason some people never retain much at all.
For the same reason most people don't play the violin, or some other musical instrument, despite having some mandatory exposure to it in grade school.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I'd be really surprised if that many staff at McDonald's in China speak English. Even where I live not all of the McDonald's staff speak English. And we're 10 minutes away from "English Canada" and 100 km from the U.S. border.

Why would you eat at McDonald's in China anyway?
Why do you dodge my question? I asked if they have any foreign language class in school in Mexico.

In China, for example, foreign language (usually English) is compulsory from grade 3 to grade 12 in most places. Before the 2000s, it was from grade 7 to grade 12 in all of China.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFP View Post
That's what I was wondering lol I'd want to try something different McDonalds is disgusting food.
Because McDonald's is cheap and clean. I don't want to go to a "real" restaurant three times a day.

Old 07-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Quote:
I dunno. If you wanna be a high school principal or a lawyer in Mexico you likely don't need much English at all and that's a way better job than working at McDick's or as a security guard in Tijuana.
So in Mexico, you don't need to know a foreign language to graduate from college? It's impossible in any Asian country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico