Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 09:44 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
Why do you dodge my question? I asked if they have any foreign language class in school in Mexico.

In China, for example, foreign language (usually English) is compulsory from grade 3 to grade 12 in most places. Before the 2000s, it was from grade 7 to grade 12 in all of China.
I did answer the question in a subsequent post. Mexican schools teach English as a second language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 10:18 AM

Quote:
So in Mexico, you don't need to know a foreign language to graduate from college? It's impossible in any Asian country.
I don't think that's a given in most of the rest of the world. You will run into English (to some degree) in the science or medical fields for example, but for the most part if you're studying to become a lawyer or a nurse or an engineer, you study in the language of the university you're going to, and that's it. There aren't usually any foreign language requirements related to your degree.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:25 AM

8,869 posts, read 8,454,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I don't think that's a given in most of the rest of the world. You will run into English (to some degree) in the science or medical fields for example, but for the most part if you're studying to become a lawyer or a nurse or an engineer, you study in the language of the university you're going to, and that's it. There aren't usually any foreign language requirements related to your degree.
Yeah that is true, though the schools here do have foreign language requirements if you want to graduate, but those requirements mean nothing because college graduates still don't speak **** English. It's pathetic.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greysholic View Post
Yeah that is true, though the schools here do have foreign language requirements if you want to graduate, but those requirements mean nothing because college graduates still don't speak **** English. It's pathetic.
You know Asia better than me, but in most countries I believe the requrement for a foreign language in order to graduate generally ends after high school (or equivalent to high school).

In university the language requirement is totally dependent on the field you're studying in. If you're doing an International MBA then yes you'll have to learn/know English. But the vast majority of other post-secondary fields won't require it.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:39 AM

2,639 posts, read 1,996,419 times
I looked at the title of this thread and thought maybe because the local language is Spanish?.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:51 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,902,967 times
I've always thought the US should press English language requirements into our free trade agreements. English should be compulsory for 4 years in any country we have free trade agreements with us. Why we haven't pressured Latin America to teach English in schools is beyond me. Travel to every other continent in the world, Europe, Asia, and Africa and it's entirely possible to get around with only English. It's always good to know some of the local languages, but almost everywhere uses English for trade and tourism.

But I've traveled around Mexico quite a bit and more and more young people do know some English, but it's not on par with even somewhere like China or Vietnam.

Old 07-19-2017, 10:52 AM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Randal Walker View Post
I looked at the title of this thread and thought maybe because the local language is Spanish?.
And maybe most young people in the world speak a bit of foreign language in 2017? Especially when you live near the border?

Old 07-19-2017, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
I've always thought the US should press English language requirements into our free trade agreements. English should be compulsory for 4 years in any country we have free trade agreements with us. Why we haven't pressured Latin America to teach English in schools is beyond me. .

: think::t hink:

Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM

16,588 posts, read 27,403,081 times
Quote:
And maybe most young people in the world speak a bit of foreign language in 2017? Especially when you live near the border?
The incentive just isn't there especially when so many people on the American side of the border speak Spanish. For those living in TJ who don't ever cross the border, there's little reason to speak English. The exceptions will be a lot of the nightclubs and shopping areas on Revolucion where a huge part of their business are Americans. And again, there are a lot of people in Tijuana who do speak good English but they tend to work on this side of the border. There's a reason why our border crossing wait can be three hours long at times.

It's also class related. Most poor and others we might consider lower class tend to be monolingual.

Old 07-19-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post

But I've traveled around Mexico quite a bit and more and more young people do know some English, but it's not on par with even somewhere like China or Vietnam.
Are you serious? The percentage of people who can speak English in Mexico is probably 10 times higher than it is in China. Maybe more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico