Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2017, 11:26 AM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
He's just asking why they don't want to learn English. We all understand Mexico can do what they want in their country.

Most countries that rely a lot on tourism and trade, make foreign languages a priority in education. Mexico does a lot of tourism and trade.
By and large I'd say that, as in most non-anglophone countries in the world, those Mexicans who need to speak English for reasons of tourism and trade, do indeed speak it.

What we're actually talking about here is Merv and Myrtle from Idaho not being *inconvenienced* by Spanish only speakers if they happen to be travelling in Mexico and need to ask someone for directions, or where the closest McDonald's is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2017, 11:30 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,334,857 times
It's just not the most well educated people working for McDonalds. I guess you would find people working in very simple (education wise) jobs all around the world without foreign language knowledge. Of course, in many countries one foreign language is mandatory, but often it is not really teached intensively, people forget it or just don't care.

I am not sure if shop assistants in China do speak that much better english actually. When I have been to Shenyang, at the airport it was already difficult to find someone speaking proper english. We were looking for the bus or metro connection or taxi, and after struggling with like 10 people who didn't speak english, one young lady working for a bus service company helped us translating. Ordering food in McDonalds Beijing was rather like pointing on the food on the picture and handing over money instead of english conversation.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:13 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
Wouldn't it be common courtesy to speak the Language of the country you are in? At least have the respect needed and learn a few basic every day words. Tit for tat.l
I agree with this completely, and many, if not most Americans can at least 'fake' a transaction in a restaurant in a Spanish speaking country, but it is unusual that some Mexicans who work in a service industry like fast food in a border city cannot translate medio to medium, or doscientos pesos to doscientos pesos.

In my experience, in areas with a lot of American visitors, service workers who can communicate in English do so whether you speak fluent Spanish or not.

Old 07-19-2017, 01:49 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas Dakota View Post
It's just not the most well educated people working for McDonalds. I guess you would find people working in very simple (education wise) jobs all around the world without foreign language knowledge. Of course, in many countries one foreign language is mandatory, but often it is not really teached intensively, people forget it or just don't care.

I am not sure if shop assistants in China do speak that much better english actually. When I have been to Shenyang, at the airport it was already difficult to find someone speaking proper english. We were looking for the bus or metro connection or taxi, and after struggling with like 10 people who didn't speak english, one young lady working for a bus service company helped us translating. Ordering food in McDonalds Beijing was rather like pointing on the food on the picture and handing over money instead of english conversation.
Older Chinese never learned English in school. My parents took Russian. I'm mainly talking about the younger generation.

McDonald's employees in other countries actually are not the least educated one, although mcjob has a bad fame in America.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Natnasci View Post
Fear.
No. For convenience. I sometimes eat it in China too.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:15 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
LOL... First people complain about non natives not speaking English in this country and now they expect people to speak English in their own country. Too funny!

Old 07-19-2017, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
LOL... First people complain about non natives not speaking English in this country and now they expect people to speak English in their own country. Too funny!
Read my post. English is not even my native language.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:28 PM

26,883 posts, read 38,059,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
This is not an attack on you, but the fact that English is not your native language doesn't mean much.

There are plenty of second language English speakers who've learned English and "want to use it everywhere", and wish to impose it upon others.

Old 07-19-2017, 02:30 PM

11,163 posts, read 7,974,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post

So what? You still expect people where English isn't their native language to speak English.... in their own country!

Old 07-19-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
By and large I'd say that, as in most non-anglophone countries in the world, those Mexicans who need to speak English for reasons of tourism and trade, do indeed speak it.

What we're actually talking about here is Merv and Myrtle from Idaho not being *inconvenienced* by Spanish only speakers if they happen to be travelling in Mexico and need to ask someone for directions, or where the closest McDonald's is.
My real question is why many young Mexicans speak no English, especially when they live near the US border.

English class is compulsory in China, and you need to pass exams to graduate from high school and college, so I wonder what the policy is in Mexico.

I understand there are always bad students whatever the schools teach. But having some requirements makes a difference.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico