Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 12:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 5,057,754 times

Advertisements

I came across a youtube video I would like to share with you. It shows a contrast between Mexico today and the our indigenous cultures. It describes the current corruption in Mexico and it encourages us to return back to our indigenous roots when we were wise, artists, humble. It is very interesting perspective. Please share your thoughts.

YouTube - Contraste con nuestro bello pasado indigena del Anahuac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 07:55 AM

972 posts, read 3,934,348 times
Indian culture itself is corrupt ...

Back to that? back to back? never!

Old 01-12-2009, 01:03 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,458,600 times
First please define what of the thousands of cultures that settled here.

I say that we have a lot to learn from the Mayas specially, thankfully a lot of knowledge that was lost is starting to be recovered again, the mayan alphabet was finally deciphered and people are learning about their ancient knowledge.

Yucatan has declared maya the official language of the state together with spanish and they have translated the constitution to Maya, me thinks it's a good start

Indian culture corrupt? well corruption is a condition of mankind, which culture isn't corrupt? you can't say that the usa is an example of integrity but why focus on the negative when the positive about indian cultures is huge, that's why I admire India, it is one of the few countries in the world that didn't loose her culture even though they were conquered first by muslims and then by english, the knowledge of the ancients is far more advanced than our own, specially in terms of spirituality.

So yes, we should embrace the wealth of knowledge and culture that our ancients left, it's our legacy as much as what the spaniards left too, in my opinion most people should return to the ancient religions as well.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:20 PM

19 posts, read 65,997 times
Hell I would. I have Aztec roots I would love to return to those roots.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:24 PM

1,434 posts, read 3,976,892 times
Quote:
Hell I would. I have Aztec roots I would love to return to those roots.
What Mexican doesn't have Aztec roots. Extremely few Mexicans can draw their entire ancestry back to Europe.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:33 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,292,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
What Mexican doesn't have Aztec roots. Extremely few Mexicans can draw their entire ancestry back to Europe.
Most. Few Mexicans trace their roots back to the actual Aztecs.
There were many more tribes in present day Mexico than the Aztecs and the Mayans.

Also, the majority of Mexicans can trace back ancestry to Europe. The vast majority of Mexicans have some kind of European blood in them. Even those that are dark complected and have strong indigenous features.

Actual full blooded Amerindians are a very small minority in Mexico.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:05 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,976,892 times
Quote:
Also, the majority of Mexicans can trace back ancestry to Europe. The vast majority of Mexicans have some kind of European blood in them. Even those that are dark complected and have strong indigenous features.
Can you not read I said entire ancestry. Do you know what that means ?

Old 01-13-2009, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
Can you not read I said entire ancestry. Do you know what that means ?
why the obsession with race? and what has this to do with the OP?

Old 01-13-2009, 10:30 AM

972 posts, read 3,934,348 times
friends, the permanence = the decline, the great cultures Aztec, Zapotec and Mayan fulfilled its function in a timely manner, bringing them back is unrealistic and impractical, better make a new Latin American culture, we are better and move forward, the pre-Columbian cultures were exclusionary, violent, superstitious, really want to go back to that?

Old 01-13-2009, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
friends, the permanence = the decline, the great cultures Aztec, Zapotec and Mayan fulfilled its function in a timely manner, bringing them back is unrealistic and impractical, better make a new Latin American culture, we are better and move forward, the pre-Columbian cultures were exclusionary, violent, superstitious, really want to go back to that?
we don't know that for sure, remember we were conquered by the "Good" catholics, who defeated the "Evil" Prehispanic cultures who worshipped forbidden gods, that in the eyes of the spaniard conquerors, so what we know about this cultures is very limited and biased, specially with mayans, toltecs and olmecs.

Mayans knew more about our universe than we do, so taking some of their wisdom in our advantage couldn't hurt, besides due to the difference between our age and his, it would be unrealistic, to recreate the ancient culture, but that doesn't mean we can create a new identity based on all the beautiful legacy we inherited from the prehispanic cultures and the spaniards too

I would recommend anyone who lives in Mexico city or plans to visit to go to the Museo de antropologia e historia, and see for themselves the amazing wisdom of our ancient forefathers
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico