Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 09:37 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,060,894 times

Advertisements

I believe a lot of this discussion could be better served by replacing "return to our indigenous cultures..." with "honor our indigenous cultures". Meaning, a modern person would only add to his/her life as they know it by enriching their cultural side. They'd learn the tongue of their heritage, read about and practice their historical religion (insofar as it doesn't interfere with modern laws- ie, sacrafice), and dress in cultural styles. By the way, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing this... Many people live this way every day in Mexico.

Also, I think the Africa example was a good one.

Have you guys heard of the Genographic Project? https://genographic.nationalgeograph...hic/index.html

Last edited by cabolissa; 01-19-2009 at 09:52 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2009, 11:20 AM

211 posts, read 545,330 times
well I tried to listen to it but its all in spanish and I cant understand it. but I believe that the people of mexico should be just plain tired of the coruption in Mexico and the people, all the people should rise up and revolt about it, ban together and make a stand against all of it and fight for your country and the right to live free and make money and take care of your famillies. Its your country
Get rid of the Drug Lords and all of there sick ways. Too many of you are dying becasue of them. Stand up and fight them for what you beleive in. When you get a politian that is good and clean ban with him, plan a revolution like your ancestors did.
Take your country back.!!!!!!!

Old 01-19-2009, 12:04 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,060,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennel View Post
well I tried to listen to it but its all in spanish and I cant understand it. but I believe that the people of mexico should be just plain tired of the coruption in Mexico and the people, all the people should rise up and revolt about it, ban together and make a stand against all of it and fight for your country and the right to live free and make money and take care of your famillies. Its your country
Get rid of the Drug Lords and all of there sick ways. Too many of you are dying becasue of them. Stand up and fight them for what you beleive in. When you get a politian that is good and clean ban with him, plan a revolution like your ancestors did.
Take your country back.!!!!!!!
I'm going to ignore the simple ignorance of these statements and respond with, I hope, some information to shed some light on what you think is a country of fools who too afraid to fight for a better life for their families.

FYI-
The current drug war that we're seeing in Mexico is, in part, a direct result of the revolution you're calling for. President Vicente Fox Quesada (2000-2006) broke the 70+ year monopoly of the ruling political party (PRI) in Mexican politcs. This began the "unraveling of a longtime implicit arrangement between narcotics traffickers and governments controlled by the Institutional Revolutionary Party (PRI)." He had begun a war on drugs which succeeded in capturing the reigning Arellano Félix Cartel members of which had eluded the USA's FBI 10 most wanted list for years (photo below). That is, until 2002 when the brothers were killed by Mexican officials. The fight to become the next power player began - this is what we're seeing now. These are similar problems that Colombia faces after having taken out the 2 major cartels. Unfortunately, not much more success was accomplished in Mexico in the early 2000's.

In December, 2006, Felipe Calderon was elected President. He vowed to continue the fight against the drug trade. He immediately sent 6500 troops to Michoacan to fight the activity there & to combat the many corrupt police who involved in drug trafficking. Many say that this started the current "war" between the cartel and the government (ala revolution). Today there are more than 25,000 troops involved in the fight. The problem is that it's becoming a blood bath.

In September 2008, grenade attacks in Morelia by suspected cartel members killed eight civilians and injured more than 100. In January 2009, a U.S. military assessment expressed concern that the war could cause a "rapid and sudden collapse" of the Mexican government due to the military strength of organized crime. I'm not sure how they are supposed to handle the problem. How would we handle the problem? You're probably saying that the US would never have such a problem. But you see, it's simple supply and demand economics. Mexican (Colombian, etc) cartels are making TONS of money supplying drugs to satisfy a real demand for them. It's business.

Oh, and by the way... Let's not forget that where all those drugs are headed... That's right, the good ole US of A.

http://www.usdoj.gov/dea/fugitives/sandiego/poster_english.gif (broken link)

If you're interested:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mexican_Drug_War
Ramón Arellano Félix - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mexico's Drug War Death Toll: 8,463 and Counting | | the narcosphere

Old 01-19-2009, 01:12 PM

73,147 posts, read 62,828,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
I came across a youtube video I would like to share with you. It shows a contrast between Mexico today and the our indigenous cultures. It describes the current corruption in Mexico and it encourages us to return back to our indigenous roots when we were wise, artists, humble. It is very interesting perspective. Please share your thoughts.

YouTube - Contraste con nuestro bello pasado indigena del Anahuac
I didn't understand anything in the video, mainly because I don't speak Spanish that well, but the pictures I saw did give me a glimpse between the indigenous culture of the Pre-Columbian days and today. The artistic side and the humility is a good thing. I think everyone as human beings should be more humble and get in touch with their artistic side. I believe that the only good thing brought over from the Old World to the New World is Christianity, which does teach humility and love and to do what Jesus would do. Sadly, the persons who brought that to the New World didn't practice what they preached. Slaughter and pillaging as well as corruption came. Corruption exists everywhere. Not just in Mexico. I personally feel that corruption is a sad part of human nature.. The thing to do in that case is to rise above it. Getting in tune with one's indigenous roots can be a good thing and can be inspiring.
My perspective is that corruption is a sad part of the human condition and one must rise about that influence.

Old 01-19-2009, 11:43 PM

2,381 posts, read 5,052,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
I believe a lot of this discussion could be better served by replacing "return to our indigenous cultures..." with "honor our indigenous cultures". Meaning, a modern person would only add to his/her life as they know it by enriching their cultural side. They'd learn the tongue of their heritage, read about and practice their historical religion (insofar as it doesn't interfere with modern laws- ie, sacrafice), and dress in cultural styles. By the way, there's nothing stopping anyone from doing this... Many people live this way every day in Mexico.

Also, I think the Africa example was a good one.

Have you guys heard of the Genographic Project? https://genographic.nationalgeograph...hic/index.html
And that is exactly my point!
Now to be realistic, it would be imposible to bring back all dialects not to mention the cost. I do believe children in school should have an opportunity to at least learn some basic Nahuatl. We do have a dictionary in circulation of the Nahuatl language. I have one. It is to our benefit to learn the language, learn our real history and teach the real history of our indigenous cultures. We owe it to our ancestors and it is only fair to teach what is real to our future generations. More and more, "danza indigena" is being lost. You see in school children dancing to folklore music such as "rancheras, guapangos" etc but less of indigenous. Only those states that have a larger population of indigenous people practice it. It should be mandatory in the schools.

Last edited by zacatecana; 01-19-2009 at 11:44 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 01-20-2009, 08:24 AM

972 posts, read 3,930,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zacatecana View Post
It should be mandatory in the schools.
It should, really? Why you must bind some one of Veracruz not to dance huapangos, if is still part of this culture, or some one of Nuevo Leon, dance polka? that is not indigenous? of course, because we are a Mestizo Country, not indigenous one...

Old 01-20-2009, 11:14 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,448,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
It should, really? Why you must bind some one of Veracruz not to dance huapangos, if is still part of this culture, or some one of Nuevo Leon, dance polka? that is not indigenous? of course, because we are a Mestizo Country, not indigenous one...
this is true, and that's what makes Mexico special

Old 01-21-2009, 01:37 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,052,379 times
Quote:
I see your point and I should be clear that it does not make sense to learn a dance from a different state. Although it has been done.

In my hometown, polkas are very common to learn in school eventhough it is not the state of Nuevo Leon. However, it does not make sense to learn "la danza de los viejitos" when it originates from Michoacan and I'm from Zacatecas. I think it should be a local tribal dance.

I agree with you and TF, what makes Mexico unique from other countries is that we trully have a different culture in each state and yet we are all Mexicanos. I love that...

Old 01-21-2009, 07:54 AM

972 posts, read 3,930,186 times
^^ lol, when I was a kid, (uuuuuuu!) i dance in the school the ¨danza de los viejitos¨ and I was in Nuevo Leon, I was last year in the night show of Xcaret, and was wonderful see all the dances of all the mexican states, some are indigenous, but the majority are mixed styles european with mexican...as we are...

Old 01-21-2009, 09:05 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,448,984 times
Quote:
^^ lol, when I was a kid, (uuuuuuu!) i dance in the school the ¨danza de los viejitos¨ and I was in Nuevo Leon, I was last year in the night show of Xcaret, and was wonderful see all the dances of all the mexican states, some are indigenous, but the majority are mixed styles european with mexican...as we are...
True, Xcaret rocks huh? do they still perform charreadas?

Let's try and talk about Mestizo culture then.

La virgen de Guadalupe comes to mind, el mole poblano is another example where colonial elements like almonds and sesame seed blend with indigenous elements like chile, chocolate and turkey.

Mexicas didn't drink chocolate (xocoatl) with milk and it was a drink destined to the gods as an offering only, the spaniards were the ones who added milk to the mix, and felt like Gods while drinking it.

regards!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico