Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2009, 06:54 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Yeah, and I guess Irish, Italians, Cambodians, Indians, Chinese weren't proud of their homeland when they came here..
If you're very proud of your homeland then why would you permanently move to somewhere else?

I know my ancestors weren't particularly proud of their homelands - they wanted to be in the USA and be Americans and I could not care less actually where they came from. That is -- if I found out one came from some other country than the one I've always believed, it really wouldn't change a thing about my self or my view of things.

I think for most Americans, if they thought some ancestor arrived from France or Germany and were to discover he/she really came from Poland or Sweden instead, it would not be all that devastating. I think most of us are not very tied to some foreign nation some ancestor once lived in.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:02 PM

7,025 posts, read 11,415,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Yeah, and I guess Irish, Italians, Cambodians, Indians, Chinese weren't proud of their homeland when they came here..
In light of the fact that mexico treats their brown people like dirt, they live in poverty in tin foil shanty's and are lucky if they eat, please expound on what exactly it is they have to be so proud of.

The US has done more for mexicans than mexico ever has or will. Yet they march in our streets demanding everything from us despite the fact that illegal aliens are entitled to NOTHING from America. Additionally they have burned, stomped on and desecrated our flag by placing it underneath the mexican rag on a flag pole on American soil. Not only is that a declaration of distress, wars were waged for less.

If they love it so much they need to stay the hell out of the US, stay home and fix "messyco". Despite the fact that messyco obviously doesn't love them back, apparently that is where their loyalty lies and they all need to remain.

Last edited by JDubsMom; 02-08-2009 at 08:14 PM..

Old 02-08-2009, 07:07 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,736,042 times
My view of homeland pride is that those who are truly proud and patriotic don't really wish to live permanently anywhere else, although many like to leave for a while, experience other ways of life but home is where the heart is and their hearts remain in their country.

My view of ethnic pride is that ethnicity is neither something to be proud nor ashamed of. If you're proud that you're this, then would you be ashamed if instead you were that? Ethnicity or race aren't something you actually did for yourself, it's not somethign you accomplished. It's just an accident of your birth, no different than ending up short or ending up tall, it's all just the roll of the dice in a way, no one should be ashamed of being short or tall.

Old 02-08-2009, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
My view of homeland pride is that those who are truly proud and patriotic don't really wish to live permanently anywhere else, although many like to leave for a while, experience other ways of life but home is where the heart is and their hearts remain in their country.

My view of ethnic pride is that ethnicity is neither something to be proud nor ashamed of. If you're proud that you're this, then would you be ashamed if instead you were that? Ethnicity or race aren't something you actually did for yourself, it's not somethign you accomplished. It's just an accident of your birth, no different than ending up short or ending up tall, it's all just the roll of the dice in a way, no one should be ashamed of being short or tall.
Great post and ITA.

Old 02-08-2009, 08:33 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,440,037 times
Quote:

I agree 100% my friend, good post

Old 02-08-2009, 09:09 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,193,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post
In light of the fact that mexico treats their brown people like dirt, they live in poverty in tin foil shanty's and are lucky if they eat, please expound on what exactly it is they have to be so proud of.
If they love it so much they need to stay the hell out of the US, stay home and fix "messyco". Despite the fact that messyco obviously doesn't love them back, apparently that is where their loyalty lies and they all need to remain.
I'm just curious about whether you've ever actually visited Mexico? It is an incredibly beautiful and diverse country filled with history, loads of culture and wonderful, warm and happy people of all classes. The picture you paint is grotesque and certainly not accurate, of course with obvious exceptions - just as in the US, which has its fair share of ghettos and many, many poor underprileged people in all parts of the country.

Certainly, Mexico's indigenous people are not treated well or fairly - just like the American Indian - the U.S's Native Peoples. But to paint with such a broad brush stroke leaves the impression of a totally poverty-stricken land - which it is not.

Mexicans are drawn to the US because they're desperately wanted and needed by business interests of all kinds! (Why do you think so little has been done to stem illegal immigration?) Most Mexicans are incredibly hard-working and industrious - more so than many US workers who 'might could' perform comparable work. As an example, how many young (or old) US workers you know would labor in fields 10-12 hours a day under a blazing hot sun for a pittance? Not many that I know!

Unfortunately (from our experience in business), the work ethic in the US has changed dramatically from the days when folks were willing to take any kind of job to put food on the table. Maybe with the recession, the unemployed will be forced again to return to looking for work of any kind! Maybe then some of them will finally emphathise and realize what it's like not to be able to feed your family - and have to leave your home and the people you love to do so.

From what we've seen and experienced during almost two decades, the Mexican people love their country - and many we've met have returned home after working in the US because - even with the reduction in wages - they believe life in general is much better here. I think you need to visit this country, its cities, rural areas and its coasts to see for yourself, first-hand, all it has to offer and then your perceptions just might change.

Old 02-09-2009, 12:52 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,047,739 times
Quote:
If you're very proud of your homeland then why would you permanently move to somewhere else?

I know my ancestors weren't particularly proud of their homelands - they wanted to be in the USA and be Americans and I could not care less actually where they came from. That is -- if I found out one came from some other country than the one I've always believed, it really wouldn't change a thing about my self or my view of things.

I think for most Americans, if they thought some ancestor arrived from France or Germany and were to discover he/she really came from Poland or Sweden instead, it would not be all that devastating. I think most of us are not very tied to some foreign nation some ancestor once lived in.
Your personal experience does not apply to everyone Malamute. Most Mexicans are proud of their country. Everyone want to fulfill that "self actualization" what ever that means and where ever it is. It has nothing to do with not loving your country or origin. As I told you before, it is VERY posible to love two countries at the same time.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDubsMom View Post

The US has done more for mexicans than mexico ever has or will. Yet they march in our streets demanding everything from us despite the fact that illegal aliens are entitled to NOTHING from America. Additionally they have burned, stomped on and desecrated our flag by placing it underneath the mexican rag on a flag pole on American soil. Not only is that a declaration of distress, wars were waged for less.

Wow, you never stop amazing me with your generalizations of brown people, white people etc,...
First of all, if you have been reading our posts, you would know there is no "brown people", we are a mixed culture. Most people do not live in tin foil shantys as you call it, nor are they "lucky" to eat. We dont have a starvation problem like other countries. So your comment is very uneducated and ignorant at best.

If you cannot discuss intelligent topics without insults i.e. "messyco" then dont comment at all.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:10 AM

Quote:
I think the problem with the Mexicans in the USA is that they are always very quick to proclaim what proud Mexicans they are until someone talks about deporting them. They don't act very proud then when returning to Mexico becomes a possibility. They're the first ones to insist that people are starving to death, they can't go back because they'll die. They paint a very terrible picture of their homeland.

Maybe it's guilt that keeps them from assimilating into the USA, they don't really want to be Americans, but they really don't want to ever go back to Mexico either.
I have no doubt that there are people who claim they will starve to death if they go back to Mexico. However, most people will say that times are tough and it is difficult to find a job to provide for their families. The problem is not with the newly arrivals but with those that have children that are in their teens and know nothing about what it is to live in Mexico. They have never been there so they will refuse to go to Mexico and proclaim they are Americans, while the parent feels helpless.

There has been a lot of generalizations about children born in this country of immigrants...that they dont assimilate when in fact most do.

Old 02-09-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahSal View Post
I'm just curious about whether you've ever actually visited Mexico? It is an incredibly beautiful and diverse country filled with history, loads of culture and wonderful, warm and happy people of all classes. The picture you paint is grotesque and certainly not accurate, of course with obvious exceptions - just as in the US, which has its fair share of ghettos and many, many poor underprileged people in all parts of the country.

Certainly, Mexico's indigenous people are not treated well or fairly - just like the American Indian - the U.S's Native Peoples. But to paint with such a broad brush stroke leaves the impression of a totally poverty-stricken land - which it is not.

Mexicans are drawn to the US because they're desperately wanted and needed by business interests of all kinds! (Why do you think so little has been done to stem illegal immigration?) Most Mexicans are incredibly hard-working and industrious - more so than many US workers who 'might could' perform comparable work. As an example, how many young (or old) US workers you know would labor in fields 10-12 hours a day under a blazing hot sun for a pittance? Not many that I know!

Unfortunately (from our experience in business), the work ethic in the US has changed dramatically from the days when folks were willing to take any kind of job to put food on the table. Maybe with the recession, the unemployed will be forced again to return to looking for work of any kind! Maybe then some of them will finally emphathise and realize what it's like not to be able to feed your family - and have to leave your home and the people you love to do so.

From what we've seen and experienced during almost two decades, the Mexican people love their country - and many we've met have returned home after working in the US because - even with the reduction in wages - they believe life in general is much better here. I think you need to visit this country, its cities, rural areas and its coasts to see for yourself, first-hand, all it has to offer and then your perceptions just might change.
No, I have never been to mexico and after what I have witnessed of mexicans from my side of the border, I have no desire to ever visit. If I only had one or two to gauge my opinions and feelings by that would be an ignorant assessment of them on my part. However, we have an estimated 20 MILLION of their criminal nationals in this country that have created quite the negative yardstick.

The picture that they paint of themselves via their barbaric behavior in the US is well documented and frankly, very grotesque. The MULTITUDE of crimes that the majority (not all of them) perpetually commit on American soil are some of the most heinous in the history of the US. Despite being poverty stricken, their birth rates are astronomical and their determination to gouge the American taxpayer for everything they can while pimping the multitude of children they birth for the soul purpose of doing so, despite knowing that they have no means of feeding themselves or their children, is pathetic. As a mother, IMHO that is about as low as it gets.

About a decade ago I had an office manager that was American of mexican descent who went out of her way to hire as many hispanic females as she could cram into the firm. It didn't matter that they weren't qualified to do the job. Her racist favoritism was all that mattered and was more than obvious. They didn't paint a pretty picture either. They were some of the most unqualified, back stabbing, petty, devious, racist, arrogant, delusionally self appointed princesses I have ever met.

As for why mexicans are drawn to and enter America illegally, IMHO there is no excuse for breaking and entering and demanding from the country you invaded what you are too cowardly to demand at home. I was not born rich or white. I am black a product of the civil rights movement. At the age of 4, I was hosed down in the streets of Chicago while marching with my people for equality in my country. I had more courage then than the cowards squatting here from mexico. They claim to love mexico but are too cowardly to ask for a crust of bread from their own country. Yet they come here demanding everything that they have no right to. Sorry but the woe is me, poor mexican story doesn't fly with me. I've attended several of their marches and watched them pimp their children to carry their signs in English while they are demanding American citizenship, education and preferential treatment in spanish because they are too lazy to learn English. Btw, I witnessed these marches during my lunch hour when they should have doing "the jobs Americans won't do".

I have encountered their children standing at the entrance of my train station on my way to work being pimped for the sympathy of American workers. I have confronted them and attempted to shame them for their disgusting self absorbed actions. So you see, on numerous occasions I have witnessed their delusions of grandeur and arrogance up close and personal. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for criminals and con artists.

Thanks for the invitation but different strokes for different folks. I've seen, read and experienced first hand all I need to read about mexico and mexicans. Besides, I like living. Unless they pass another amnesty in this country, I believe my odds for survival are much better on this side of the border. Should I decide to venture outside of the US, mexico will never be my preferred destination.

Take care

Last edited by JDubsMom; 02-09-2009 at 04:38 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.