Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2009, 10:59 AM

3 posts, read 26,356 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are retiring in the Rosarito/Ensenada area next April or May and have just returned from Rosarito. We didn't have much time to look around and would love to hear from people who have decided to retire in that area. We are considering that area for obvious reasons, mostly cost of living and quality of life. Any information about housing (ocean view) condo or house, groceries, gas, utilities and so forth would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2009, 08:32 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,923,139 times
Hi Eva and David; Answered your DM before I saw this post.
Looking at the exchange rate today 13.10 pesos to the Dollar.

Electricity 1600 t0 1800 pesos depending on my use of a electric room heater...one small 5 gal propane bottle.
House land phone $42-$50 a month (internet included 18.80 pesos)
Mexican cell (phone card (100 or 200 peso) every two months) do not use it much...mainly for emergency. Have used it to call my sons house in Redding Calif (about 750 miles from my house) no problem to call the states. Loaned it to an American friend to call his mother on mothers day in Mich...so they work real fine in that respect.
A 5 gal of propane bottle cost me $8.40 to refill.
98% of the meat in the Two large grocery chains in Rosarito is all Calif or US beef etc.
One chain is owned by a very large American chain...see the trucks going to Ensenada with the Logo on the side.
More later on...Steve

Old 06-26-2009, 02:28 AM

98 posts, read 391,929 times
Exclamation I Love Rosarito!!!!

I have been going to Rosarito for 35 years, and have spent a year going down and researching retirement down there. Direct email me and I will be glad to fill you in.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:32 PM

1 posts, read 18,254 times
I am frantic trying to find a relative: mark Dempsey AKA Jim Dempsey. i anyone knows of him, last know to be living in ensenada: Please write me

Mod edit: Personal info removed, use DM instead please

Old 12-09-2009, 07:08 PM

1 posts, read 18,172 times
Hi ife you need any thing this is my email mod editersonal info removed use DM instead acculy me and my husband we live in Rosarito oceone front, and hear many houses oceone front or view for cell and in this area we are close to Golf course so any whay nice.

Last edited by Travelling fella; 12-10-2009 at 01:11 PM..

Old 12-16-2009, 04:05 PM

1 posts, read 17,967 times
Smile Baja Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva & David View Post
My wife and I are retiring in the Rosarito/Ensenada area next April or May and have just returned from Rosarito. We didn't have much time to look around and would love to hear from people who have decided to retire in that area. We are considering that area for obvious reasons, mostly cost of living and quality of life. Any information about housing (ocean view) condo or house, groceries, gas, utilities and so forth would be appreciated.

Hi David & Eva.... I have lived most of my life in California and have recently moved to Ensenada after owning homes in the US and Mexico. I moved into Ensenada nearly two years ago and I love it here. I have my home in Palm Desert, Ca for sale now and will move here permanantly ASAP. I have owned five properties in Mexico and this really is the perfect paradise. I am very familiar with the real estate in this area as I am an AMPI member (the mexican equivalent of the NAR). Prices are really discounted and now is an excellent time to invest.

Old 12-25-2009, 10:13 PM

144 posts, read 494,072 times
If you want to move to that area consider going a little further south of la linea.
I second Ensenada if you want proximity to the border and cooler Pacific temperatures.
I wouldn't even think about Rosarito with all the BS going there.
I live in San Diego and we have a place in Bahia de Los Angeles and we have spent significant time in all the border zones and we won't even stop there anymore.
Call me paranoid or call me prudent, frankly, I don't care but I would live in Ensenada if I were to choose a relatively close border city over Rosarito Beach any day.
Consider Punta Banda or Estero Beach area.
Plus, in Ensenada you are very close to some very cool stuff and awesome destinations further south.
0n edit look here: http://www.talkbaja.com/index.php
Those people are doing it and also very helpful and cool.

Old 12-29-2009, 11:51 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,870,120 times
The Sea Of Cortez side of Baja (S.Felipe, even Mexicali) is awesome, I don't understand why people are so attracted by Ensenada and the much more urbanized Pacific side, is it because it's easier to commute to S.Diego from there?

Old 01-05-2010, 08:48 PM

4 posts, read 32,371 times
Rosarito is just fine, many housing choices available to choose from, I STRONGLY suggest you be very careful selecting a "realtor" down here, many "say" they are but don't know their heads from their tails let alone the so called laws to protect investments, believe me we own 3 homes in the Rosarito area and live here full time. The fear factor has been overplayed by the media and you alone will make the decisions based on what you are looking for. Feel free to contact me for info. Elec. is paid by-monthly here, the price will vary upon what you use, cooking LP and gas dryers the tanks are appr. $40.00US each and again the amount can last a week or several months depending on useage, we also use wireless internet at $45.00 US per month, your living expenses will be far less than the states, but will be determined by your factors. You will find everything you need in Rosarito to include Home Depot, Wal-Mart, GNC, Applesbees, etc... plus the more enjoyable local stores that you can mingle and meet the locals..
http://baja4ems.com/

Last edited by noproblemo; 01-05-2010 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 01-23-2010, 08:26 PM

2 posts, read 38,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noproblemo View Post
Rosarito is just fine, many housing choices available to choose from, I STRONGLY suggest you be very careful selecting a "realtor" down here, many "say" they are but don't know their heads from their tails let alone the so called laws to protect investments, believe me we own 3 homes in the Rosarito area and live here full time. The fear factor has been overplayed by the media and you alone will make the decisions based on what you are looking for. Feel free to contact me for info. Elec. is paid by-monthly here, the price will vary upon what you use, cooking LP and gas dryers the tanks are appr. $40.00US each and again the amount can last a week or several months depending on useage, we also use wireless internet at $45.00 US per month, your living expenses will be far less than the states, but will be determined by your factors. You will find everything you need in Rosarito to include Home Depot, Wal-Mart, GNC, Applesbees, etc... plus the more enjoyable local stores that you can mingle and meet the locals..
baja4ems.com - Index
Hi,
Enjoyed your comments. I have just reached retirement age 62. I want to find a good, safe rental in Rosarito really a bit lower would be better Potpola I think it is called. Spelling? Can you tell me a website or a newspaper that I might find that would give a list of rentals near Rosarito?
Appreciate it.
Jonathan
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico