Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 09:49 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,474,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Macmeal you are full of suprises! I had no idea Linda Ronstadt was part Mexican. Those are all good, it is pretty neat how religion has brought so many Irish and Mexicans together.
Not much of a fan of religion here, but that particular affinity goes way back:

Saint Patrick's Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 09:53 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Not much of a fan of religion here, but that particular affinity goes way back:

Saint Patrick's Battalion - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Yup, but that was war....we are talking about love (offspring) here

Old 08-14-2009, 02:02 AM

2,381 posts, read 5,044,055 times
Alexis Bledel is part Mexican, part Argentine.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:30 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
Quote:
Macmeal you are full of suprises! I had no idea Linda Ronstadt was part Mexican. Those are all good, it is pretty neat how religion has brought so many Irish and Mexicans together.
Absolutely...You're aware, I'm sure, of "los San Patricios"..regarded as minor heroes in Mexico (where you'll find a few monuments to them today), but as traitors to the US. These Irish-Catholic immigrant 'conscripts', fighting for the USA in the war against Mexico, were convinced to change sides, fed up with the prejudice and discrimination in America (and in the American military) at that time in history.

They went to join the Mexicans, where they were well-regarded. Not sure how they all ended up...a few, I believe, were executed for treason when they were eventually captured by US forces.

Interesting chapter in history.

Old 08-14-2009, 09:32 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,552,765 times
I just noticed my post was a 're-run' of post #11 (above). Still an intersting story, though..

Old 08-15-2009, 07:43 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,122,931 times
Quote:
Santiago Creel----------he is a scion of a 'Irish' family out of Kentucky. And he could not pass for 'Mexican' based on his looks.

Old 08-16-2009, 09:26 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Santiago Creel----------he is a scion of a 'Irish' family out of Kentucky. And he could not pass for 'Mexican' based on his looks.
But that's unfair, I hate when people tell me in the countries I visit, but you don't look mexican!! and I tell them, go to Mexico, it's multicultural, strangely enough in Spain, nobody has told me this, actually people say, you from Mexico? Ostia tio que guay!!! (Wow dude, how cool!!!) Ole!!!

Old 08-16-2009, 02:09 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
But that's unfair, I hate when people tell me in the countries I visit, but you don't look mexican!! and I tell them, go to Mexico, it's multicultural, strangely enough in Spain, nobody has told me this, actually people say, you from Mexico? Ostia tio que guay!!! (Wow dude, how cool!!!) Ole!!!
I know someone whose family is ethnically German and Spanish -- the irony - the father's side is from Mexico but are the Germans descendents, the mother's side was Tejano-Spaniards.

So any "hispanic" appearance the children might have comes from the American side, the German (anglo) appearance comes from the Mexican side.

It's also like the 100% Jewish or Lebanese ethnicty people you some times see who are from Mexico. They are Mexican immigrants just as much as any other but some think they don't "look Mexican". And many think some Lebanese ethnic Mexicans do look Mexican but they can be 100% Arab ethnicty.

Old 08-16-2009, 02:55 PM

408 posts, read 723,598 times
Tony Romo... dallas cowboys quarterback..

seriously didn't know

Old 08-16-2009, 05:19 PM

47 posts, read 128,964 times
There's no such thing as a "Hispanic" appearance, which is why its so dumb that it's on the U.S. census. There are black hispanics, native american hispanics, white hispanics, and yes, even asian hispanics. In different parts of the country, we have different ideas of a Hispanic appearance. For example, in LA, because many Mexicans and Central Americans live here, most people's idea of a "Hispanic" appearance is one that looks indigenous, whereas in New York, where many Puerto Ricans live, it would look different. This is why saying someone "looks" hispanic doesn't mean much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico