Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2009, 09:31 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,433,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Juarez and Zapata were proud of their indigenous descent and generally someone having indigenous ancestry in Mexico isn't something to be ashamed of (not to mention that Juarez is one of Mexico's greatest heroes, comparable in historical stature and high regard to his contemporary Abraham Lincoln in the USA)The majority of the population has some indigenous ancestry, like I have to tell anyone that - and, in favor of Mexico, Mexico has never held to the one drop insanity that long possessed the US. The indigenous heritage is a key part of Mexico's heritage and acknowledged as such. OTOH the African heritage seems to be completely denied except when it's too obvious, and then it's derided....
-----

Majoun

Yes, the majority of the population have some indigenous ancestry, but a minority doesn't have indigenous ancestry and yes, they believe in the "one drop rule".

I have family in Mexico, they went there during the 30's. They are rich, they live in "colonias" and they hang in their "Centros". They travel frequently to Spain and even their kids in their third generation look Spanish.

We have a lot of Mexican tourists in Spain visiting their ancestral towns, entire regions of Galicia, Asturias and Catalonia are used to their visits. They own many have properties there. They look Spanish all the way, northern Spanish.

They are called gachupines, gueros, etc.

A famous Mexican woman in Spain. Her last name is Catalan.

http://elmismojumo.net/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/genoveva-casanova-fotos-de-la-novia-de-luis-miguel-mexico-casado-arasely-arambula-7.jpg (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2009, 09:16 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,286,567 times
Carlos Irwin Estevez aka Charlie Sheen

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Co...6p.hmedium.jpg

Nicole Richie

http://www.usmagazine.com/files/nic_blog_2.jpg (broken link)

Last edited by Ibginnie; 09-01-2016 at 08:50 PM.. Reason: copyright violation

Old 09-09-2009, 03:45 AM

Estevez is a commie gallego, not Mexican.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:01 AM

95 posts, read 184,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
I read the article, and another one related, have you read it well? It says that afromexicans are poor and lack opportunities, to be honest I've met few afromexicans in my life but those who've I met have never complained of being discriminated.

Also Mexico never had schools or places in the buses, etc for white people and schools for other races, mexico never had signs in the stores that said, black people, asians, etc not allowed.

Mexico abolished slavery first than the US, this was one of the decisive factors of the war of independence.

Mexico doesn't have judicial system that gives you a different treatment because of your skin color.

In Mexico (and Brazil) you can say black without it being an offense, because we don't have the trauma that still lives up to this day in the USA.

In Mexico everybody is Mexican, not Afromexican, or Indian Mexican, etc.

Now about what Ayana said about police making their family sing the national anthem, it has happened to me too, because I'm white and supposedly I don't look Mexican, this has happened to me in the airport of Mexico city, and in the Juarez International airport, they've asked me for my passport, etc. But this has more to do with the police being corrupt and trying to make a quick profit of you, than discrimination.
Are you often taken for a tourist in Mexico because you dont "look Mexican"? I read one of your other posts where you wrote Mexican Americans asked why you spoke Spanish to them, not realizing you were Mexican. I am part Mexican decent, and when I tell Mexican americans this they act surprised. The funny thing is my Mexican grandfather was northern Italian and blond, he was much lighter than me!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:04 AM

95 posts, read 184,490 times
Charlie sheen is 25% spanish decent, not mexican.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:58 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
you are right and it's funny that Americans just someone to have a Latin name to label as Mexican ...

there are many people that their parents have their origin in Mexico but they fully take as Americans come to mind Freddie Prinze Jr. or Tony Romo, you cant say they are mexicans, they are 100% americans.

Old 09-10-2009, 12:02 PM

Old 09-10-2009, 02:46 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
you are right and it's funny that Americans just someone to have a Latin name to label as Mexican ...

there are many people that their parents have their origin in Mexico but they fully take as Americans come to mind Freddie Prinze Jr. or Tony Romo, you cant say they are mexicans, they are 100% americans.
Freddie Prinze Jr. doesn't have any Mexican ancestry at all.

Freddie Prinze Sr. was half Puerto Rican and half Hungarian Ashkenazic Jewish. He played a Mexican on TV but his stand up comedy act definitely focused on his Nuyorican identity. Latino actors often get cast in roles from other Latino backgrounds, e.g. John Leguizamo, who's Colombian-American but who has played Puerto Rican and Mexican characters as well as non-Latino white characters, or Salma Hayek, who played a Dominican political activist in a TV movie even though she's Mexican.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:48 PM

397 posts, read 1,398,803 times
When I was a baby I fell on the beach in Tijuana and cut my cheek, where became lodged a pebble, forever entombed in my cheek. Does this mean I'm part Mexican? ;-)

Old 09-10-2009, 03:02 PM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Freddie Prinze Jr. doesn't have any Mexican ancestry at all.

Freddie Prinze Sr. was half Puerto Rican and half Hungarian Ashkenazic Jewish. He played a Mexican on TV but his stand up comedy act definitely focused on his Nuyorican identity. Latino actors often get cast in roles from other Latino backgrounds, e.g. John Leguizamo, who's Colombian-American but who has played Puerto Rican and Mexican characters as well as non-Latino white characters, or Salma Hayek, who played a Dominican political activist in a TV movie even though she's Mexican.
oK My bad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico