Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 03:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Again, americans and their vast knowledge of Mexico, without even having put a single foot here. Where did you get this info?
Actually I saw how Mexico treats its black population first hand in Guerrero and Oaxaca
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 03:46 PM

73,013 posts, read 62,607,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
Actually I saw how Mexico treats its black population first hand in Guerrero and Oaxaca
Please explain it.

Old 08-20-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Please explain it.
The black population is concentrated in poor, isolated villages that don't have power and electricity, and Mexican cops mess with Afro-Mexicans like you wouldn't believe ; they are often assumed to be illegal aliens and there have been federales who've forced Afro-Mexicans to sing the Himno Nacional just to prove they're not illegals crossing through Mexico from Central America or the Caribbean en route to the US. Afro-Mexicans are treated like they have no rights in Guerrero and make up a disproportionate amount of Acapulco's beggar and prostitute population.

And I'm not even going to get into how the Mexican government depicts Father Morelos, one of the greatest heroes of Mexican history who got the common population behind the cause of independence from Spain (Hidalgo was speaking more to the criollo elite), as a white man, and Mexican schoolchildren were long taught that he wore his scarf because he was bald (in reality it was to cover up his African hair) and that both of his parents were white. If you see portraits of Morelos from his time, you can see he was mixed race with significant African ancestry. He's not depicted that way on Mexican currency, however, nor in all the official pictures of him found throughout Mexico.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:25 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,499,454 times
Here is another one:

Kat Von D was born to Mexican parents René Drachenberg and Sylvia Galeano in Nuevo Leon, Mexico in 1982. At age four, she and her family emigrated to the United States, settling in Colton, California. Von D is of German and Mexican-Italian descent.
http://behindtheink.com/famousink/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/kadvond3.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-20-2009, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The black population is concentrated in poor, isolated villages that don't have power and electricity, and Mexican cops mess with Afro-Mexicans like you wouldn't believe ; they are often assumed to be illegal aliens and there have been federales who've forced Afro-Mexicans to sing the Himno Nacional just to prove they're not illegals crossing through Mexico from Central America or the Caribbean en route to the US. Afro-Mexicans are treated like they have no rights in Guerrero and make up a disproportionate amount of Acapulco's beggar and prostitute population.

And I'm not even going to get into how the Mexican government depicts Father Morelos, one of the greatest heroes of Mexican history who got the common population behind the cause of independence from Spain (Hidalgo was speaking more to the criollo elite), as a white man, and Mexican schoolchildren were long taught that he wore his scarf because he was bald (in reality it was to cover up his African hair) and that both of his parents were white. If you see portraits of Morelos from his time, you can see he was mixed race with significant African ancestry. He's not depicted that way on Mexican currency, however, nor in all the official pictures of him found throughout Mexico.
No one has ever told me that.

Old 08-20-2009, 09:36 AM

972 posts, read 3,925,664 times
Quote:
No one has ever told me that.
Maybe because is a lie or exaggeration...

Old 08-20-2009, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_inombrable View Post
Maybe because is a lie or exaggeration...
I don't know everything that goes on. It wouldn't surprise me if any of that stuff mentioned is going in Mexico, especially with the police doing stupid stuff.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
I don't know everything that goes on. It wouldn't surprise me if any of that stuff mentioned is going in Mexico, especially with the police doing stupid stuff.
I did see it for myself in Mexico besides having read and heard Mexicans discussing the situation of Mexico's black population. As I was not online yet when I was in Mexico and didn't save every article or book I read nor did I document every conversation I had. However:

"They tend to suffer rejection and discrimination for their skin color. A UNAM study about communities of African descent demonstrates that 73.9% have no right to medical services."

Los invisibles, la comunidad de afromexicanos - El Universal - Los Estados

For more: Afro-Mexican - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-24-2009, 04:57 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,556,692 times
Somebody just 'repped' me on this thread and asked me a question...but I don't know who you are. If you want to 'PM' me, I'll be glad to answer.

Anyway, thanks for the rep...

Old 08-25-2009, 12:40 PM

22 posts, read 339,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Macmeal you are full of suprises! I had no idea Linda Ronstadt was part Mexican. Those are all good, it is pretty neat how religion has brought so many Irish and Mexicans together.
Linda Ronstadt mother was born in Sonora, and john Gavin's mom too was born in Sonora.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico