Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 10:04 PM

69 posts, read 333,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Yes, an article from the American media and it's bias towards Mexico, until you haven't gone to Mexico and experienced Mexico you can't have an opinion of it.

more people should do it

It's interesting that the people who have the most negative opinion of Mexico are Mexicans (who don't know what they have because they were born with it) and Americans that live in their bubble. But other countries find Mexico amazing!!

Well, I have lived in Mexico, I am Mexican. I don't know the whole situation in La Costa Chica first hand but i have read about it. It's amazing just how African they look.

I am from Veracruz, It is also known to have an Afro-mexican/Afro-mestizo/Afro Cuban population that is a bit more racially mixed population. The thing that I noticed was this... I didn't not notice "race" when I lived in mexico. I knew some ppl were darker than others but nothing much, we were all mexicans as far as i was concerned.i lived in Canada for many years and that's where i as a teen realized... hey! my family consists of ppl ranging from blond blue eyed to dark with tight hair.

this sparked an interest in me and by asking my grandparents and so on, i have found out that I am indigenous, spanish, african, Italian, Jewish, Afro-Cuban and who knows what else, because ppl there are very very mixed. my father remarried and they moved to Cancun, when they were driving there and crossing state borders, they were stopped and asked for ID's and asked to sing the national anthem and questioned because my dad's wife and and her children looked "black"

I am brown skinned and my husband is african american, and my son came out white skinned, green eyes, light brown-to blondish hair.... my daughter looks black...it goes to show....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The black population is concentrated in poor, isolated villages that don't have power and electricity, and Mexican cops mess with Afro-Mexicans like you wouldn't believe ; they are often assumed to be illegal aliens and there have been federales who've forced Afro-Mexicans to sing the Himno Nacional just to prove they're not illegals crossing through Mexico from Central America or the Caribbean en route to the US. Afro-Mexicans are treated like they have no rights in Guerrero and make up a disproportionate amount of Acapulco's beggar and prostitute population.

And I'm not even going to get into how the Mexican government depicts Father Morelos, one of the greatest heroes of Mexican history who got the common population behind the cause of independence from Spain (Hidalgo was speaking more to the criollo elite), as a white man, and Mexican schoolchildren were long taught that he wore his scarf because he was bald (in reality it was to cover up his African hair) and that both of his parents were white. If you see portraits of Morelos from his time, you can see he was mixed race with significant African ancestry. He's not depicted that way on Mexican currency, however, nor in all the official pictures of him found throughout Mexico.

there are a lot of poor indigenous populations in that area also, who live in the same poverty as them, but i hear they don't get along that well??

i just replied to another post where my step mother and step bros and sis were asked for their ID's and asked to sing the national anthem because of their black appearance. we are from veracruz. they were trying to speak very proper spanish also, because ppl often say we speak with somewhat of a cuban accent...

that is also very true about Morelos, I saw a picture of Morelos some years back on the internet where he was standing beside his sister who was without a doubt of african descent, and the article spoke of how he was always depicted as being lighter skinned than he really was.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayana9 View Post

that is also very true about Morelos, I saw a picture of Morelos some years back on the internet where he was standing beside his sister who was without a doubt of african descent, and the article spoke of how he was always depicted as being lighter skinned than he really was.
ooops, i don't think it was morelos that i saw a pic of i just can't think of his name right now.......

Old 08-27-2009, 08:32 AM

3 posts, read 10,563 times
Quote:
The black population is concentrated in poor, isolated villages that don't have power and electricity, and Mexican cops mess with Afro-Mexicans like you wouldn't believe ; they are often assumed to be illegal aliens and there have been federales who've forced Afro-Mexicans to sing the Himno Nacional just to prove they're not illegals crossing through Mexico from Central America or the Caribbean en route to the US. Afro-Mexicans are treated like they have no rights in Guerrero and make up a disproportionate amount of Acapulco's beggar and prostitute population.

And I'm not even going to get into how the Mexican government depicts Father Morelos, one of the greatest heroes of Mexican history who got the common population behind the cause of independence from Spain (Hidalgo was speaking more to the criollo elite), as a white man, and Mexican schoolchildren were long taught that he wore his scarf because he was bald (in reality it was to cover up his African hair) and that both of his parents were white. If you see portraits of Morelos from his time, you can see he was mixed race with significant African ancestry. He's not depicted that way on Mexican currency, however, nor in all the official pictures of him found throughout Mexico.

As i recall Morelos wore his scarf really tight since he suffered from intense head aches....

Because no other Mexican figures of either black or indigenous descent have ever been covered up , like mexican president Benito Juarez or Revolutionary Emiliano Zapata, just to name a few...

Old 08-28-2009, 12:40 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,649,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Franco View Post
As i recall Morelos wore his scarf really tight since he suffered from intense head aches....

Because no other Mexican figures of either black or indigenous descent have ever been covered up , like mexican president Benito Juarez or Revolutionary Emiliano Zapata, just to name a few...
Juarez and Zapata were proud of their indigenous descent and generally someone having indigenous ancestry in Mexico isn't something to be ashamed of (not to mention that Juarez is one of Mexico's greatest heroes, comparable in historical stature and high regard to his contemporary Abraham Lincoln in the USA)The majority of the population has some indigenous ancestry, like I have to tell anyone that - and, in favor of Mexico, Mexico has never held to the one drop insanity that long possessed the US. The indigenous heritage is a key part of Mexico's heritage and acknowledged as such. OTOH the African heritage seems to be completely denied except when it's too obvious, and then it's derided....

Old 08-28-2009, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayana9 View Post
there are a lot of poor indigenous populations in that area also, who live in the same poverty as them, but i hear they don't get along that well??

i just replied to another post where my step mother and step bros and sis were asked for their ID's and asked to sing the national anthem because of their black appearance. we are from veracruz. they were trying to speak very proper spanish also, because ppl often say we speak with somewhat of a cuban accent...

There's a portrait of Morelos from his time in Chapultepec Castle. His African features are far more apparent than in later portraits of him. There was a bit of a scandal when Rufino Tamayo was commissioned to paint a portrait of Morelos for the Cuernavaca city hall and Tamayo painted Morelos more accurately than he's usually depicted, so the picture is hidden in a back room inaccessible to the public.

The Enciclopedia de Mexico states (or used to state) that Morelos had no non-European ancestry at all, which was clearly wrong. I understand there is also some controversy about the possible African ancestry of Vicente Guerrero.

Veracruz has one of the most unique mixtures of cultures in all of Mexico, it's something to be proud of IMO.

Old 08-28-2009, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Yes, an article from the American media and it's bias towards Mexico, until you haven't gone to Mexico and experienced Mexico you can't have an opinion of it.
Is El Universal part of the American media? Was the UNAM study referred to in the El Universal article conducted by Americans?

Old 08-28-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Veracruz has one of the most unique mixtures of cultures in all of Mexico, it's something to be proud of IMO.
Yes it is! I remember coming across an article many years ago where it was talking about the racial make ups of ppl around the world and it's scientific name, which i don't remember????? it was the last one on the list and the longest! according to that article it was the place with the most mixture of races who had mixed so much that very, very few people actually knew what they are mixed with because it has been going on for so long.

starting with the olmecs which some may argue had intermarried with africans (because of the colossal heads and certain artifacts dating so far back) and also as it was called the door to the americas where many ships would dock coming from europe. it's said that many of the europeans that were headed to the USA didn't even make it there and stayed in mexico, especially veracruz. Then there's the Afro Cubans that moved there, and going back further were the African slaves (the first free town of runaway slaves is also in veracruz, used to be called san lorenzo de los negros and it is now called Yanga after the man who made it possible back in the 1600's) there are also some people there who can trace back their ancestry to the Filipinos that were brought by the spanish after a law was passed that they couldn't bring african slaves anymore, and another interesting fact was that many of the Creoles from New Orleans when trading goods back and forth in the ships from veracruz to new orleans, also moved to Veracruz after seeing that they didn't have to follow curfews and could own their own businesses in Mexico. The French and the Yankees also had declared Veracruz theirs for short periods in history.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,446,753 times
Quote:
Is El Universal part of the American media? Was the UNAM study referred to in the El Universal article conducted by Americans?
I read the article, and another one related, have you read it well? It says that afromexicans are poor and lack opportunities, to be honest I've met few afromexicans in my life but those who've I met have never complained of being discriminated.

Also Mexico never had schools or places in the buses, etc for white people and schools for other races, mexico never had signs in the stores that said, black people, asians, etc not allowed.

Mexico abolished slavery first than the US, this was one of the decisive factors of the war of independence.

Mexico doesn't have judicial system that gives you a different treatment because of your skin color.

In Mexico (and Brazil) you can say black without it being an offense, because we don't have the trauma that still lives up to this day in the USA.

In Mexico everybody is Mexican, not Afromexican, or Indian Mexican, etc.

Now about what Ayana said about police making their family sing the national anthem, it has happened to me too, because I'm white and supposedly I don't look Mexican, this has happened to me in the airport of Mexico city, and in the Juarez International airport, they've asked me for my passport, etc. But this has more to do with the police being corrupt and trying to make a quick profit of you, than discrimination.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
In Mexico (and Brazil) you can say black without it being an offense, because we don't have the trauma that still lives up to this day in the USA.

In Mexico everybody is Mexican, not Afromexican, or Indian Mexican, etc.

Now about what Ayana said about police making their family sing the national anthem, it has happened to me too, because I'm white and supposedly I don't look Mexican, this has happened to me in the airport of Mexico city, and in the Juarez International airport, they've asked me for my passport, etc. But this has more to do with the police being corrupt and trying to make a quick profit of you, than discrimination.
Yes, that is very true, in Veracruz they call you negro even if you are white as snow sometimes lol I had to make my husband understand this (he is african american) he loves mexico, and the way he was treated there, he said that it was great that everybody got along. at first he kept asking if it was safe because it looked rough, then he realized that it was safe and everyone was friendly. I told him that just because you are poor, doesn't mean you have to be a criminal, yeah, the area looks rough... he also thought it was amazing that a little house made out of stick could be right beside a big nice house where the ppl had money and there was no problem with that.

I also agree about the corrupt police... it's all about making a quick buck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico