Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2010, 08:54 AM

469 posts, read 1,258,828 times

Advertisements

This report by Immigration Watch International, states that the Mexican birthrate is falling rapidly, with major implications.
"According to the World Bank’s 2007 Annual Development Indicators, in 1990 Mexico had a fertility rate of 3.3 children per female, but by 2005, that number had fallen by 36 percent to 2.1, which is the Zero Population Growth rate. That is an enormous decline in the number of Mexican infants per female. The large number of women currently in their reproductive years means that there are still quite a few babies, but as this group ages, the number of infants will decline sharply. If this trend toward fewer children per female continues, there being no apparent reason for it to cease, the number of young people in the Mexican population will decline significantly just when the number of elderly is rising. As labor markets in Mexico tighten and wage rates rise, far fewer Mexican youngsters will be interested in coming to the United States. Since our baby boomers will be retiring at the same time, we could face a severe labor shortage.

What is going on in Latin America? Better education and improved job opportunities for women mean that it has become quite expensive for them to leave the labor force to have more children. The improved availability of birth control technology and liberalization of abortion rules in some countries mean that it is easier for women to avoid that outcome."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2010, 11:22 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
That probably is the case. There are two ways to "better yourself" and one is to become responsible, stay in school, and not leave your country and the other is to head on over to the easy money and where irresponsibility is rewarded. The very high birth rate crowd has apparently come on over because they are reproducing extremely fast in the USA - but there are of course nice rewards like food stamps and free government housing to entice that group.

Survey delves into high birth rate for young Latinas - CNN.com

According to the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy, 53 percent of Latinas get pregnant in their teens, about twice the national average.Consider that fewer than six in 10 Latino adults in the United States have a high school diploma. Latino teens are more likely to drop out than their non-Hispanic counterparts, and of all the children living in poverty, 30 percent are Latino.

"Teen pregnancy is not an isolated issue," Flores said. "It's related to poverty, to dropout rates. That's going to have an impact on our national as a whole."

Flores said 69 percent of Latino teen moms drop out of high school, and the children of teen mothers are less likely to do well in school themselves and often repeat grades.

"That has a big economic impact," Flores said.

It's an impact that is sure to be noticed. The nation's 45 million Latinos constitute the largest minority group in the United States with a growth rate twice that of the general population.

The responsible ones have realized that they can delay the start of their family, stay in school and that their own country isn't a horrible place while the irresponsible head on over the border to the better life of welfare handouts. Without the welfare handouts, the poverty of the USA would be much more apparent.

Old 03-14-2010, 11:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,814,775 times
And - Carlos Slim and other wealthy Mexicans are not the reason that 53% of Latina teens in the USA already have babies, almost all unmarried and without welfare would be no better off than they would have been in Mexico. My belief is welfare makes them worse because they lose the work ethic they had back home.

This is in the USA where no one can blame the Catholic Church or the government -- this is sheer lack of personal responsibility and ambition.

Old 03-15-2010, 05:27 AM

2 posts, read 3,380 times
You know it's nice that this Mexican billlionaire has his claim to fame in Forbes which I'm sure he has framed and mounted somewhere in his 40 room house. While this person obviously collected many billions out of the pockets of every citizen of Mexico what I'd like to know is why doesn't this man who has more money than any one man requires to live and in fact has more money than many countries why doesn't he use his vast wealth to help clear up the terrorism that is currently going on in Northern Mexico... I'm sure this man has more resourses that many of the departments of the Mexican government. So yes it's nice to know that this guy has lots of billions but if he loves the country where he made his billions then where I'd like to see his name is in an article that tells the world what he's doing to clean up the embarassing terrorist situation in Northern Mexico.

Old 03-15-2010, 01:46 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,197,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cndpal View Post
You know it's nice that this Mexican billlionaire has his claim to fame in Forbes which I'm sure he has framed and mounted somewhere in his 40 room house. While this person obviously collected many billions out of the pockets of every citizen of Mexico what I'd like to know is why doesn't this man who has more money than any one man requires to live and in fact has more money than many countries why doesn't he use his vast wealth to help clear up the terrorism that is currently going on in Northern Mexico... I'm sure this man has more resourses that many of the departments of the Mexican government. So yes it's nice to know that this guy has lots of billions but if he loves the country where he made his billions then where I'd like to see his name is in an article that tells the world what he's doing to clean up the embarassing terrorist situation in Northern Mexico.
You know, *that* is a terrific idea! If Senor Slim became Mexico's 'Bill Gates' - the Microsoft man who has personally donated billions to charities around the world, including his own and his wife's - that would make a HUGE statment to the world - and the people he collects money from each month. I wonder what the blowback would be? Probably he's already been threatened with kidnapping and is heavily guarded. His family members would obviously be put at risk, too.
But it would help his country immeasurably to have the financial backing of the richest man in the world in fighting the drug cartels.

Old 03-15-2010, 06:49 PM

37 posts, read 143,245 times
Maybe Bill Gates can use his billions to stop the consumption of illegal drugs in the US, which provide the biggest business to the Mexican drug lords, which in turn fosters the Mexican drug production and Mexico being the pass thru for the South American drugs. Don't put this on Slim.. geez.. he provides many Mexicans with legit jobs, that in its self is huge.

Old 03-15-2010, 07:56 PM

1,452 posts, read 3,197,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla125 View Post
Maybe Bill Gates can use his billions to stop the consumption of illegal drugs in the US, which provide the biggest business to the Mexican drug lords, which in turn fosters the Mexican drug production and Mexico being the pass thru for the South American drugs. Don't put this on Slim.. geez.. he provides many Mexicans with legit jobs, that in its self is huge.
You're absolutely right! He is the employer of thousands of Mexicans and this is good! But how many of Mexico's super-rich have stood up for the safety and security of their country? And, yes, one can't say *that* without acknowledging the huge part drug consumption in the US plays in all this. I think that until some drugs in the US are legalized or until there's full employment in Mexico, this nightmare will continue and many will continue to suffer. How else can it be otherwise?

Old 03-15-2010, 10:19 PM

37 posts, read 143,245 times
I totally agree, both countries have their issues that they need to fix. Unfortunately the Drug Lords can reach anyone, no matter how much money. You don't mess with them or you pay, I am sure Mr. Slim would like to keep his family and extended family alive. It is so sad, a country so rich in culture, I remember walking the street by myself or with friends, to go to the corner store or to go to their house on a playdate, now, I wouldn't let me kids go any where without supervision. It is so sad.

Old 03-16-2010, 12:43 PM

972 posts, read 3,930,186 times
drugs in this topic? I see no relationship.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM

983 posts, read 1,638,740 times
If he's to donate (he's NOT known for doing big donations), he should do it in education, recreation and health; not to fund Calderon's more than failed strategy. This war on drugs will be good for nothing if it's not complemented by good education, healthy recreation and opportunities for our youth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico