Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2008, 09:56 PM

370 posts, read 863,939 times

Advertisements

we are thinking of trying to fly to havana as we are in cancun for a wedding.

does anyone have any suggestions of how to pre-plan the flight and hotel info? Any things we should look out for?

We are in the US and the wedding is not until October.

thx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2008, 08:05 AM

291 posts, read 649,939 times
You´re forbidden from your government enter to Cuba.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:42 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,337,284 times
You're actually not forbidden to enter Cuba, you're just forbidden to spend money there (what a stupid law). In order to visit Cuba legally (and spend money) you must be a journalist and get some sort of approval from the Department of State. There's another way to do it as well, but I'm not sure of the details.

An acquaintance of mine visited Cuba late last year to do some sort of protest over Gitmo. I'm not sure how she managed it, but she's the kind of person that would enjoy being thrown in jail for some civil disobedience.

Old 08-24-2008, 10:32 PM

3,503 posts, read 19,908,615 times
You can fly to Havana from Mexico. When you get to Havana ask the customs agent to NOT stamp your passport. They will smile and not stamp it. The Cubans want the US Americans to visit and spend money. You can't use a credit card there...take cash. No ATM usage. The US government does not allow travel to Cuba. So no stamp on the passport and it's OK. You have to return to Mexico before entering the US. There are flights from Cancun and Mexico City.
Havana is beautiful and exciting. Hotels are not 5 star but have nice, clean rooms. I can't remember the name of the hotel. the people are friendly and so beautiful. There are internet sights that will tell you names of hotels in Havana. It's safe, and a fun adventure.
Don't forget to go see ernest Hemingway's House, it's a museum now.

Old 08-28-2008, 01:07 AM

42,554 posts, read 87,104,813 times
When I checked, the flights were infrequent---certainly not every day, so you might not be able to schedule conveniently. No need to make advance reservations for lodging in Cuba, there will be plenty of touts meeting arrivals.

I presume you are flying to Cancun, and if so, this is not applicable. But if you drive to Mexico, you cannot fly out without your car.

If the US treasury department knows you went to Cuba, they could arrest you. Occasionally they do, just to make an example. But many Americans are on the charter flights from Toronto to Cuba, and the risk of prosecution is very low if you don't blab it around.

Old 04-04-2010, 08:58 PM

2,145 posts, read 5,077,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
When I checked, the flights were infrequent---certainly not every day, so you might not be able to schedule conveniently. No need to make advance reservations for lodging in Cuba, there will be plenty of touts meeting arrivals.

I presume you are flying to Cancun, and if so, this is not applicable. But if you drive to Mexico, you cannot fly out without your car.

If the US treasury department knows you went to Cuba, they could arrest you. Occasionally they do, just to make an example. But many Americans are on the charter flights from Toronto to Cuba, and the risk of prosecution is very low if you don't blab it around.
when we were in cancun, there were signs everywhere-offering 3 day/two night packages from cun to cuba...i have friends who did this-as mentioned, don't have your passport stamped. no big deal. whatsoever. it is ridiculous that your government can 'forbid' you from travelling where you wish to. what is your passport? does it mean they own you? ridiculous.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:00 PM

758 posts, read 2,243,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaneSA View Post
You can fly to Havana from Mexico. When you get to Havana ask the customs agent to NOT stamp your passport. They will smile and not stamp it. The Cubans want the US Americans to visit and spend money. You can't use a credit card there...take cash. No ATM usage. The US government does not allow travel to Cuba. So no stamp on the passport and it's OK. You have to return to Mexico before entering the US. There are flights from Cancun and Mexico City.
Havana is beautiful and exciting. Hotels are not 5 star but have nice, clean rooms. I can't remember the name of the hotel. the people are friendly and so beautiful. There are internet sights that will tell you names of hotels in Havana. It's safe, and a fun adventure.
Don't forget to go see ernest Hemingway's House, it's a museum now.
If you are a U.S. citizen, the government discourages travel to Cuba, and forbids you to spend money there. Also, if you do go through Cancun or Mexico City, if you get an exit stamp on your passport (I don't remember if Mexico does this to foreigners) and an entry stamp, and don't have another national stamp to verify where you were for that GAP, a very scrupulous U.S. customs agent will quesiton you about it.... but the chances of that happening are slim.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:21 PM

983 posts, read 1,637,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
If you are a U.S. citizen, the government discourages travel to Cuba, and forbids you to spend money there. Also, if you do go through Cancun or Mexico City, if you get an exit stamp on your passport (I don't remember if Mexico does this to foreigners) and an entry stamp, and don't have another national stamp to verify where you were for that GAP, a very scrupulous U.S. customs agent will quesiton you about it.... but the chances of that happening are slim.
Mexico doesn't stamp at exit, but the OP will have two entry stamps to Mexico and could be asked about it.

I'm Mexican and when I visited Cuba they didn't stamp my passport when they realized I had a US Visa... guess it's a "just in case" thing. The guy stamped a green sheet of paper and put it inside my passport.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:20 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,524,355 times
easiest way, go to a Cuban Embassy in Mexico, and for about $3 you can get an entry visa into Cuba, no passport required upon arrival in Cuba.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:13 AM

6,385 posts, read 11,906,535 times
Rumor has it the way they catch people going to Cuba now is to screen flight manifests with passenger lists and anyone going from Mexico or Canada runs a good chance of getting spotted. Supposedly there are flights from Jamaica run by private charter operators which do not list out passengers. No matter how you look at it Cuba is a very expensive trip so you should have more than just a bit of curiosity to go there. The hotels and food are not very good quality but cost more than very nice places in Cancun.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico