Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2009, 10:37 AM

144 posts, read 449,187 times

Advertisements

Going to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen and I'm renting a car so that I can get around town and to the ruins. I tried for search for information on car rental insurance and the type of coverage I need in Mexico? I contacted my insurance company and I am not covered under their policy since I'm out of the country and also I read that the credit card coverage doesn't apply in Mexico?

Does anyone know what is the minimum coverage I should get while there. Thanks in advance for your replies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2009, 01:53 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,434,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culater88 View Post
Going to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen and I'm renting a car so that I can get around town and to the ruins. I tried for search for information on car rental insurance and the type of coverage I need in Mexico? I contacted my insurance company and I am not covered under their policy since I'm out of the country and also I read that the credit card coverage doesn't apply in Mexico?

Does anyone know what is the minimum coverage I should get while there. Thanks in advance for your replies.
As far as I know, when you rent a car you also pay an insurance fee, i'm not sure if it's mandatory or optional though, but just ask for it when you rent a car

Old 06-18-2009, 09:34 PM

1 posts, read 9,676 times
Quote:
Going to Cancun/Playa Del Carmen and I'm renting a car so that I can get around town and to the ruins. I tried for search for information on car rental insurance and the type of coverage I need in Mexico?
Hi, if you rent a car here they will make you buy insurance as well - it is usually about 40 dollars a day. And you want to get the complete coverage!

Hope this helps

Old 06-22-2009, 03:41 PM

1,238 posts, read 4,469,458 times
I have also heard that it can be MUCH cheaper to reserve and rent a car over the Internet than in person once you get there, at least in some parts of Mexico. You might call the rental company, get a quote, then check online.

Old 08-23-2009, 09:14 AM

Renters beware, I thought I got a great deal through Thrifty, $140 for the week for a full size car. Well I had too select insurance coverage because they told me that the Amex special worldwide rental coverage doesn't apply in Mexico? Anyway to be safe I took the coverage. In the end, it cost me $350 to rent a car due to the additional airport tax, etc.

Future renters, try renting away from the airport to avoid the additional taxes or just take cabs around.

Old 08-27-2009, 09:51 PM

15 posts, read 89,773 times
NEVER and I mean NEVER rent a car at the Airport. Take a CAB to the city or town, rent one there.

DO NOT RENT A CAR FROM HERTZ, THEY ARE A RIP OFF CLIP COMPANY, DO NOT RENT FROM AVIS, THEY ARE A RIP OFF COMPANY.

American sounding names like HERTZ and AVIS are NOT connected to the State-side companies. When you get ripped off, the US companies will be very very happy to point that out.

The scam: They get your credit card on file, they know wen you are coming back. When you pull up, they step out leaving you no choice to leave the keys on the desk. Guess what? Your one week agreement just became a three week agreement.

Second Scam: What is that mark on the car? It wasn't there when you took it - now we have to have an adjuster come by and assess the damage, that will take a few hours and ... what??? your plane leaves in an hour? Tough luck tourist, you'll see the charge on your bill, just make sure you are sitting down when you open it.

Best bet? Taxi. If you are just putting around town, or even a short jaunt, a good taxi guy can actually save you money and headaches.

Renting a car in Mexico is taking a HUGE risk. I live in and love Mexico but I learned my lesson, I learned it well.

Country John

Old 08-28-2009, 04:46 PM

69 posts, read 333,427 times
well, about 4 years ago i remember seeing that renting a car down there was around $17 a day... i don't know what other charges applied, since i didn't ask. this was at a car rental company outside of the tourist strip in cancun.

keep in mind that people are crazy drivers down there, you have to be very careful when driving. getting around cancun is very easy and fairly cheap when you use the taxis and buses.

what ruins are you planning to go see?

Old 08-30-2009, 01:31 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
I agree with Country John, my advice about renting a car in Mexico, don't

I rented a car and drove from Playa Del Carmen all the way to Coba and I was lucky that nothing happened and I was fine but I did have to buy insurance whether I liked it or not (if you say that your credit card covers it they are going to laugh in your face and tell you to leave!)

I also had to sign a blank credit card slip to cover "damages" incase anything happened which made me really nervous...I initially refused but they insisted that was the condition otherwise I would not get the car. In the end it all worked out but in retrospect they could've entered any amount they wished, like $5000 and since my signature was on it there would be no way of disputing it. I would NEVER do that again.

This was with Budget Rent a car in Playa Del Carmen.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:30 PM

I'm planning to visit Playa Del Carmen again in the near future, I'll just hop on the bus at the airport for 80 pesos to PDC then cabbing it everywhere.

Old 08-31-2009, 06:09 PM

15 posts, read 89,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by culater88 View Post
I'm planning to visit Playa Del Carmen again in the near future, I'll just hop on the bus at the airport for 80 pesos to PDC then cabbing it everywhere.
Very wise.

Look, in Mexico you love everyone but trust no one. It's just the way it is. Car rental agencies is a great scam for anyone who can afford the franchise fee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Mexico