Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 10:42 PM

76 posts, read 330,336 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone I am living in Richmond Virginia right now ,I just moved back from FL , I lived in FL for 3 years I moved back here to finish college and be with my parents a bit longer before I got real settled in FL. I love it there but wondered about Kendall. I lived in Fort Lauderdale and Lake okeechobee and always weant to Miami cause I have alot of friends in kendall and it was ok there but just wanted to know more about it. My friend likes it there she just told me to stay away from West Kendall. I am moving to Miami when im done with college. My family is in Real Estate and one of there offices is there in South Beach and I can get a good deal on there condos and apartments but there all in South Beach it is to party hardy there for me. I don't speak much spanish so any thoughts about Kendall?? Thank you very much.

Greg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2007, 12:05 AM

1,770 posts, read 8,252,598 times
I hear Kendall is one of the better areas, but I do not have any experience of it myself. Like you said I heard the Western sections are bad but the rest is supposed to be alright.

Old 06-16-2007, 12:26 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,763,852 times
Kendall goes from Us-1 to the end of development. Generally the homes built before 1980 were in the more desireable areas (east of Turnpike) and you had everything from apartments around Dadeland to beautiful estate homes and everything was very affordable. Crime in Kendall wasn't too bad, but there were shootings at and near Dadeland in the 80's because of drug dealers, and muggings and purse snatchings. Generally residential areas aren't plagued by violent crime. Traffic will be your biggest problem with Kendall, as most 80's and newer developments have winding roads and do not cross-connect so traffic dumps on the main roads, Sunset, Kendall and Killian . Kendall is also divided by the Palmetto expressway, Turnpike, snapper creek, and numerous drainage canals developers do anything to avoid crossing ( too cheap to build bridges). Try and find a place closest to where you travel to the most. Rents are very high and Kendall is way overpriced if you want to buy. Remember there's nothing to do anymore after 10 PM in Kendall.

Old 06-16-2007, 01:02 AM

9,371 posts, read 14,322,182 times
It is not clear from what you wrote, but if you work in South Beach and live in Kendall, your commute will be hellish.

There are several nicer places than Kendall where you could live that are closer to South Beach like Brickell and Roads, certain parts of Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, and nothing further out than Dadeland (more or less the start of Kendall).

Though prices are coming off, just about everything in these parts of Dade is still overpriced, in my view, when you consider the square footage, population density and the overall quality of life, but apparently other people highly value what these areas have to offer, so, in the end, you'll make your own measure.

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2007, 06:40 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,471,332 times
I live in East Kendall. Avoid West Kendall and thing west of the Turnpike. But also avoid living west of the 874 more traffic too. As far as crime, it is up in Kendall (I bet it is up for the whole county this year). Miami-Dade County - My Neighborhood This link you can see the crime in the area in the last month and a half. As far as commuting to South Beach from Kendall, I did it a few years ago and watched my commute get longer over the few years because of the increase in traffic. If I were you I would live as close to South Beach as I could. Brickell, South Beach, Coconut Grove, Key Biscayne, parts of northern eastern Dade (sorry i am not familiar enough to list someone else can chime in I am sure on this one)

Old 06-16-2007, 06:55 AM

Wow ok sounds good , thanks for all of ya'lls help! I will use all that information :-)

Old 06-16-2007, 03:24 PM

37 posts, read 127,503 times
I live in West Kendall. Main thing here is the commute will be hard if you are going to South Beach/downtown. But there are nice developments out here.

Old 06-16-2007, 03:26 PM

172 posts, read 857,441 times
a friend of mine lives in kendall, area seems nice enough. didnt really se anybody causing trouble, or hangin out in the streets etc.

Old 06-16-2007, 06:47 PM

44 posts, read 219,035 times
I have lived in West Kendall for the past 3 years and it's been quiet and nice. The only complaint I have is how far I am from everything else. If you want to have an active nightlife then I'd suggest you look somewhere b/c traffic is pretty bad.

Best of luck!

Old 06-16-2007, 07:42 PM

Yeah I don't want active night life. I heard Kendall is the place cause there is nothing to do at night lol. That I always hear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami