Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM

13 posts, read 40,363 times

Advertisements

Hello,

First-time poster here! I would like to know which areas of South Florida might appeal to a professional, early-30's femme lesbian couple from New York City. Our two requirements would be 1) gay-friendly and 2) located in a reasonably entertaining/cultural area. We are considering both Ft. Lauderdale and Miami areas.

To elaborate:

1) gay friendly - Of course I'm aware of South Beach, but we don't require the crazy nightlife, dance clubs, etc., that would likely appeal to the younger, gay male scene. I don't want to live in a 24/7 party zone (I wonder if am I guilty of stereotyping South Beach? Please let me know!). However, I also don't care about being in a predominantly lesbian neighborhood, either. I am more interested in places with an arty, open-minded kind of vibe, a reasonable degree of "outness," and where there may be some gay parents raising children.

2) entertaining/cultural - I don't expect anywhere in South Florida to replicate New York City, and I'm not really looking for that. We currently live in "brownstone" Brooklyn, and I enjoy the pace better than in Manhattan. I am not looking for a place that is always "on." However, I also don't want to be bored out of my mind and I don't want to live in an area of vast stretches of strip malls. I would like to live close to or along the waterfront. Also, having the ability to walk to some local stores, restaurants, and bars, in a downtown type of area would be a plus, but I know that there are no true "walking cities" in Florida. I would be okay with driving to the general downtown area, if eating, drinking, etc. can be accomplished on foot once I get there. I don't care about things like Broadway shows and museums -- I am more into live music, bars, and having a variety of options in terms of cuisine.

Although we were originally only interested in Miami, Ft. Lauderdale has been increasingly on our radar and we are very interested in the perceived differences between these two cities, especially in terms of gay life. We would probably rent for a while before deciding to buy something, and can spend up to (but hopefully less than) $2500/mo.

Thanks so much for any insight!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2011, 12:17 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,942,015 times
//www.city-data.com/forum/flori...l-lesbian.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQ4c_vOUA0c

Old 07-04-2011, 09:10 PM

3,848 posts, read 9,324,090 times
Really, most places you'd be fine in both Miami and FTL. There are some exceptions... Hialeah would be a nasty place to relocate (although that's the same case regardless of whether you're gay or straight )

If you're going to rent for a bit before buying, go with Brickell. You can walk to many restaurants, shops, services, etc. You can take Metromover (free) throughout Brickell, Downtown and the south tip of Midtown (which is where the Arsht Center is, i.e.- shows, concerts, etc) You also have convenient access to Metrorail which gets you to great places like Dadeland (mall, big box retail, restaurants, etc) as well as South Miami (same as Dadeland, mall, big box, Whole Foods, restaurants) and other places like Coconut Grove, and Coral Gables (Merrick Park is right outside the Douglas Road station) should you not want to fight traffic and drive.

On your other thread, the difference between Wilton Manors and Las Olas is access to things like restaurants, shops, etc. Wilton Manors is still developing and is not polished like Las Olas. I would highly recommend Las Olas over Wilton Manors.

Overall, Brickell will give you the best city atmosphere (but not craziness like Manhattan) and things to do. I think you'll find it to be a nice place to live.

Old 07-04-2011, 10:30 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,033 times
Wilton Manors fits you perfect

Old 07-05-2011, 06:06 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,267,078 times
i second wilton manors

Old 07-06-2011, 10:57 AM

350 posts, read 1,522,291 times
In the Miami area, I suggest Coconut Grove for the artsy vibe. Also, for some reason, Miami Springs seems to attract lesbian couples with children. I know of at least 5 couples there and they are upstanding members of the community. There are plenty of artists in Miami Springs, but the city has more a feel of a small northern Americana town or Miami 20 years ago rather than an artsy vibe. But it is full of creative, artsy people - painters, sculptors, local theatre actors - I guess they just showcase it in a more conservative way. Oh and a well-known American folk musician lives there too with her partner. Make that at least 6 couples. As for waterfront, there are lakes and canals, and there are a few restaurants and bars, all with a small-town feel. Maybe not exactly what you set out for, but maybe worth a look.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicsma2002 View Post
In the Miami area, I suggest Coconut Grove for the artsy vibe. Also, for some reason, Miami Springs seems to attract lesbian couples with children. I know of at least 5 couples there and they are upstanding members of the community. There are plenty of artists in Miami Springs, but the city has more a feel of a small northern Americana town or Miami 20 years ago rather than an artsy vibe. But it is full of creative, artsy people - painters, sculptors, local theatre actors - I guess they just showcase it in a more conservative way. Oh and a well-known American folk musician lives there too with her partner. Make that at least 6 couples. As for waterfront, there are lakes and canals, and there are a few restaurants and bars, all with a small-town feel. Maybe not exactly what you set out for, but maybe worth a look.
Thanks for the suggestions! I hadn't considered either location, but I will now look into it.

Old 07-06-2011, 08:40 PM

Thanks to all so far for your input. If you ever need any info about NYC or Long Island, let me know!

Old 07-07-2011, 05:01 PM

4,968 posts, read 10,196,322 times
WILTON... MANORS

ftw
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami