Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 09:47 AM

8,377 posts, read 30,903,465 times

Advertisements

As much as Miami sucks, I hope you realize that the sky is the limit down here, and you can up your standard of living as much as you want. Yeah, sure, its for "the rich", I know, but if you move away from the central core, guess what? Your standard of living is as high as anywhere else in the country, just like any OTHER expensive American city. Lets see, Coral Springs is America's 27th best place to live(and America's 10th safest), Boca Raton was right behind it at number 30. Also making the top 100 fourtine list are Pembroke Pines and Miramar. So, you can complain about how much Miami sucks all you want, but the fact of the matter is, just like any other AMERICAN city, you live outside of the core to enjoy living here, just like any other city. I am not saying that Miami does not have problems unique to Miami, like extreme inequality, and the poor attitude of the locals, but what exactly brought all of you to Miami (and Dade County proper) in the first place?

MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2006: Top 100 26-50

Also, Miami is really dangerous, but look at Fort Lauderdale, quite a few steps below the state average (But above national average, I admit).

http://www.morganquitno.com/met05a.pdf
Compare Fort Lauderdale to State Average-Worse than national Average (like most of the largish cities on here, but still much below our state average)
http://www.morganquitno.com/CR07sam2.pdf

Point is, Miami sucks, so do something to improve it! If I lived in Miami-Dade, I would! But don't go generalizing South Florida because you live in Miami or a crappy part of Fort Lauderdale.Yeah, the cost of living is high, wages are low, but that is the state of the American city right now. I can't wait for some of the responses.

Last edited by compelled to reply; 07-06-2007 at 10:07 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 10:04 AM

98 posts, read 307,131 times
The flaw in your argument: Coral Springs, Boca, Pembroke, Miramar...all NOT Dade County cities. Miami is a different beast and still sucks and is nothing like any other American city I have seen!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston_in_the_Pines View Post
The flaw in your argument: Coral Springs, Boca, Pembroke, Miramar...all NOT Dade County cities. Miami is a different beast and still sucks and is nothing like any other American city I have seen!
Well, you are absolutely correct. But my suggestion is to stay and improve, and maybe run for office (especially if you are of Latino descent,rather than threaten to leave and whine), and to not bash South Florida as a whole as a Dade resident. Guess how New York turned around? Sure, it was a totally different animal, with a group of immigrants willing to assimilate, but...reform in the education system can bring the first generation of the current bunch there to assimilate, just as the first wave of Cubans did, instead of this bilingual education that is occurring there now. Boost teacher pay enough so the district can attract good teachers from the United States and can go rent a small condo in Broward (so they want to stay as Americans), let them enjoy it long enough to stick around and bring some improvement (starting at the elementary levels, with EFFECTIVE programs pushing assimilation and nonviolence), and the slow process becomes a slow process of improvement. This is something that could be done. Have any of you considered running for school board? The same, of course, could not be said for things like transportation.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:11 AM

98 posts, read 307,131 times
Honestly? I wish I felt like I could stay and do something but Miami continues to sink with no signs of pulling out of it. It has to come from the grassroots level and that is basically the immigrant community. And without insulting them as a whole, they are ultimately responsible for what has happened here.

As someone who has moved in and out and visited in and out of the area for 25 years (since I was a pup), the downward spin is plainly evident. Also, I am not Latino so does that give me at least a little bit of license to leave and whine?

Old 07-06-2007, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weston_in_the_Pines View Post
Honestly? I wish I felt like I could stay and do something but Miami continues to sink with no signs of pulling out of it. It has to come from the grassroots level and that is basically the immigrant community. And without insulting them as a whole, they are ultimately responsible for what has happened here.

As someone who has moved in and out and visited in and out of the area for 25 years (since I was a pup), the downward spin is plainly evident. Also, I am not Latino so does that give me at least a little bit of license to leave and whine?
I suppose, but remember, you live in Broward County, where most people speak English and have (Somewhat) assimilated. What particular dissatisfactions do you have with your community?If I lived in the Pines, mine would be schools. Not that it matters, you already have your home waiting for you in Melbourne. I say enjoy Melbourne, then.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:20 AM

564 posts, read 1,900,699 times
Good links, f.l. <-not sure what else to call you

Florence, SC worse than Detroit for violent crime per 100,000 people??? Wow!

Old 07-06-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Good links, f.l. <-not sure what else to call you

Florence, SC worse than Detroit for violent crime per 100,000 people??? Wow!
Thats my stopover point when we go to NY on 95, as well as the stopover point for SO many others. That makes it a hotspot for drugs, and thus, violence. It is a lot like how Miami is a stopover point for Latin American drugs, except, of course, Florence is at a MUCH smaller scale.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fort lauderdale View Post
Thats my stopover point when we go to NY on 95, as well as the stopover point for SO many others. That makes it a hotspot for drugs, and thus, violence.
Good point. My gf and I stop there between here and PA.

Kinda scary, though.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eufo View Post
Good point. My gf and I stop there between here and PA.

Kinda scary, though.
Absoultely. Regardless, to get back to the point of Florida, I actually do not have many complaints about my community, and I live in SOUTH FLORIDA, IMAGINE THAT.

Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Default Sorry for the hijacking

Its nice to see that some South Florida cities are recognized for what they are: great places to live.

Did anyone else notice something?

27. Coral Springs, FL
30. Boca Raton, FL
51. Pembroke Pines, FL
81. Miramar, FL

Not only did 4 South Florida cities make the list, but they were the ONLY Florida cities to make the list.

<sarcasm>Life must be terrible here!</sarcasm>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami