Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Miami?
Rude people 64 44.14%
Lack of Diversity 25 17.24%
Crime 43 29.66%
Drug problems 32 22.07%
Schools 22 15.17%
Bad Economy 32 22.07%
Boring/Nothing to Do 12 8.28%
Distances too far 16 11.03%
Not easy to stay thin 6 4.14%
Cost of Living 38 26.21%
Low Income 29 20.00%
Traffic 38 26.21%
Insufficient Public Transportation 16 11.03%
I actually like it here 41 28.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2010, 05:08 PM

26 posts, read 50,705 times

Advertisements

What do you hate most?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2010, 05:21 PM

932 posts, read 1,177,400 times
- the drivers
- poor economy, high unemployment
- lack of parks
- too overdeveloped
- poor attitudes
- lack of ethnic, cultural and social diversity
- too many flaky, sketchy and dishonest people
- too superficial, bling oriented
- too many con artists
- totally unpredictable traffic

Old 12-25-2010, 11:03 PM

2,975 posts, read 4,939,956 times
I voted distances too far. Even when I lived in downtown, I found myself driving a half hour or more (without traffic) to a lot of things. If you live near a major attraction, the other interesting places are far away.

Old 12-26-2010, 04:26 AM

911 posts, read 1,713,383 times
Too many con artists would be my number one, closely followed by too many sketchy, homeless, panhandlers, hookers and drug dealers.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,108,426 times
Miami, not Little Haiti

Old 12-26-2010, 07:12 AM

4,968 posts, read 10,195,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmlacysr View Post
Too many con artists would be my number one, closely followed by too many sketchy, homeless, panhandlers, hookers and drug dealers.
Doesn't sound like the Miami I lived for the past 11 years.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:02 AM

798 posts, read 1,460,255 times
*Cuban balseros culture: racism, sectarianism, fraud, parasites, couch potato people, scarce food menu, uneducated people, false proud,no speaking English, having to stand same tedious and uninspiring speech about Cuba is a kind of a continent in every corner, tackiness, covert communism, AND that covered hostility for foreigners including Americans as well as the blatant disrespect for American laws.

*Lack of diversity plans: everything here is about malls and the beach.

*Sectorized neighborhoods: Cuban with Cubans, Haitian with Haitians, Venezuelan with .... u know, there is not real integration here. I remember when I came here someone told not to be in certain neighborhoods because I could be assaulted or bashed just because I was of certain skin color and so on.

*Manipulated media: especially in radio stations where everything is about Cuba or other specific countries. You have to go to the net to find for real news. There is a big bias on politicians on most of that radio stations. And did I mention the big business has become certain christian radio stations asking for money cashing on the charity disguise? oh come on?

*Corruption to the higher levels: Politicians, medicare fraudulent ppl, realtors, some government offices employees etc have carried off the first prize in corruption in the country. It's the Cuban mafia.

*Extreme favoritism: On specific cultures

and etc etc..Of course, most of those things the majority of people are not aware because things are designed to make you appear that everything is ok when is not.

There is an intrinsic evilness in this city where you sometimes become caught up in the system too which is inevitable until this city be cleaned up.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
*cuban balseros culture: Racism, sectarianism, fraud, parasites, couch potato people, scarce food menu, uneducated people, false proud,no speaking english, having to stand same tedious and uninspiring speech about cuba is a kind of a continent in every corner, tackiness, covert communism, and that covered hostility for foreigners including americans as well as the blatant disrespect for american laws.

*lack of diversity plans: Everything here is about malls and the beach.

*sectorized neighborhoods: Cuban with cubans, haitian with haitians, venezuelan with .... U know, there is not real integration here. I remember when i came here someone told not to be in certain neighborhoods because i could be assaulted or bashed just because i was of certain skin color and so on.

*manipulated media: Especially in radio stations where everything is about cuba or other specific countries. You have to go to the net to find for real news. There is a big bias on politicians on most of that radio stations. And did i mention the big business has become certain christian radio stations asking for money cashing on the charity disguise? Oh come on?

*corruption to the higher levels: Politicians, medicare fraudulent ppl, realtors, some government offices employees etc have carried off the first prize in corruption in the country. It's the cuban mafia.

*extreme favoritism: On specific cultures

and etc etc..of course, most of those things the majority of people are not aware because things are designed to make you appear that everything is ok when is not.

There is an intrinsic evilness in this city where you sometimes become caught up in the system too which is inevitable until this city be cleaned up.
+1

Old 12-26-2010, 08:36 AM

932 posts, read 1,177,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelscorpio View Post
*Cuban balseros culture: racism, sectarianism, fraud, parasites, couch potato people, scarce food menu, uneducated people, false proud,no speaking English, having to stand same tedious and uninspiring speech about Cuba is a kind of a continent in every corner, tackiness, covert communism, AND that covered hostility for foreigners including Americans as well as the blatant disrespect for American laws.

*Lack of diversity plans: everything here is about malls and the beach.

*Sectorized neighborhoods: Cuban with Cubans, Haitian with Haitians, Venezuelan with .... u know, there is not real integration here. I remember when I came here someone told not to be in certain neighborhoods because I could be assaulted or bashed just because I was of certain skin color and so on.

*Manipulated media: especially in radio stations where everything is about Cuba or other specific countries. You have to go to the net to find for real news. There is a big bias on politicians on most of that radio stations. And did I mention the big business has become certain christian radio stations asking for money cashing on the charity disguise? oh come on?

*Corruption to the higher levels: Politicians, medicare fraudulent ppl, realtors, some government offices employees etc have carried off the first prize in corruption in the country. It's the Cuban mafia.

*Extreme favoritism: On specific cultures

and etc etc..Of course, most of those things the majority of people are not aware because things are designed to make you appear that everything is ok when is not.

I agree with much of your post, although I am reluctant to name specific ethnic groups when it comes to Miami's ills. I am of the opinion that bad people in Miami come from all ethnic groups present here, rich, poor or dwindling middle class.

The evilness you describe is probably due to the fact that Miami was built on dirty money, more so than any other American city over the past few decades. Miami has been attracting bad people since even before the drug days. Fast forward to present day Miami and you have a vast majority of people who have little or no respect for others, no sense of community and a level of professionalism lower than anywhere else in the country.

Miami attracts people who come here to party, people running away from other states/countries, New Yorkers who expect the same levels of service as
New York, immigrants who choose to live how they lived in their former countries, people who come here to scam, people who like to pose and show off the crap they got in debt to buy and crooked doctors who steal from Medicare. All in all, a bad mix of people. No sense of community? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out why.

The word rudeness is not always a word I'd use to describe people here, because it's not like people yell "**** you" at one another in the street. It's more of an extreme lack of regard for others and self-entitlement that is so deeply ingrained in people, along with lack of morals. Put it this way, I grew up in South Philly and what I see here in Miami shocks me on a daily basis.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:38 AM

Oh, one more thing: the majority of people are not aware of these issues, because the majority are participants of all the negative things you mentioned. They don't see these things as a problem, but as a way of life - it's like everyone in the 305 has been raised in the same house by the same lowlife parents.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami