Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Miami?
Rude people 64 44.14%
Lack of Diversity 25 17.24%
Crime 43 29.66%
Drug problems 32 22.07%
Schools 22 15.17%
Bad Economy 32 22.07%
Boring/Nothing to Do 12 8.28%
Distances too far 16 11.03%
Not easy to stay thin 6 4.14%
Cost of Living 38 26.21%
Low Income 29 20.00%
Traffic 38 26.21%
Insufficient Public Transportation 16 11.03%
I actually like it here 41 28.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2010, 05:35 AM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times

Advertisements

I don't agree that Americans act as the "Ugly American" anymore. We receive a lot of Americans in Barcelona and most of them get around in Spanish.

The most impervious people to foreign languages are the British, we have tourists that have been coming to Spain during the last 50 years and they mispronounce "cerveza" (the only Spanish word they know).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,803,481 times
For those keeping count on the poll:
1. Rude people
2. Cost of living /Traffic (tie)
3. Crime

Old 12-27-2010, 06:32 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,078,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
For those keeping count on the poll:
1. Rude people
2. Cost of living /Traffic (tie)
3. Crime

Have not we all seen this and mentioned this countless times on this forum .... man this Miami forum is a bore .

Old 12-27-2010, 07:14 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Well buddy, it's not going to be "economics" forever. As countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia continue to evolve and become superpowers themselves, it may come to a point where either Chinese, Spanish or Portuguese become the main language. Yes it is arrogance and reeks of disrespect when many Americans flat out refuse to learn another language, even if abroad (often the same people who complain about Mexicans not knowing English). Just because you know English, why should you be exempt from having to learn a second language? Besides, it broadens the mind. I have great respect for people who are truly bilingual and as much as I dislike Miami, I respect the fact that many people here can fluently converse in both English and Spanish - same cannot be said for other parts of the US.

See, it's also about respect. Americans travel an awful lot, but many don't try to speak the language of the countries they visit: they just assume that it's all good to just speak English, because Jean-Pierre the foreigner will know. The damn English are just as guilty (been to Spain and seen it).

English is only the de facto language because of the British Empire. As time passes, the influence of the British Empire will continue to dwindle, including the use of the English language. When that happens, I hope that future Americans are prepared and don't read your posts on this subject!
"Well buddy, it's not going to be "economics" forever. As countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia continue to evolve and become superpowers themselves,"

Funny how you mntion that, I speak Russiaan and Hindi(Urdu also) fluently.

I have traveled for pleasure and business all over, and I can say, English continues to be on the rise as the language of business.

Want to deal in China? Depending on where and what, it will be Russian or English. In India, the language of the government is English, so everyone with an education knows it, everyone who wants to engage in business will know it. I have not ever ecountered anyone in India doing business with me who did not know English (which makes me wonder why my job requirement even listed Hindi being needed).

In Russia, it is more convient forme to use Russian, but everyone will know English of some sorts, English is taught as the second language and is the second language desired by most people.

"Yes it is arrogance and reeks of disrespect when many Americans flat out refuse to learn another language, even if abroad (often the same people who complain about Mexicans not knowing English)."

Now you are drawing a fallacy. The topic was needing to know a second language, you did not state nor imply about it being becaause an American resides outside this country. I am fully for a person knowing the primary language of the country they are residing in, or at least making an effort at it.

The only reason most people know two languages is because their first one is cultural, second one (English) is for economics. Our cultural language here is English, andit serves its purposes for economics as well. If you and I were in Italy, our first language would be Italian, and I bet our second language would be English.

"English is only the de facto language because of the British Empire."

The reasons do not matter, for as much power as China has, few outside China know Mandarin compared with English, but many in China know English. Same with hindi, India has hundreds of millions that know Hindi, yet few outside India do (excluding immigrants from India). But in India, many know English, English is the language of government and the language of business to the point that many conduct business among each other in English.

During Soviet times, Russian was the dominate language in the 15 SSR's, but even now Russian is being pushed out as a second language by English.

So again, you state Americans should know a second language, why and which one? For the heck of it? What use would it really be? Do Americans really need to learn a language to order a beer in Mexico? There is a huge difference between learning a few phrases, and learning a language. I seriously doubt anyone needs to take on years of study to go on a two week vacation somewhere.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:17 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,826,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolón View Post
I don't agree that Americans act as the "Ugly American" anymore. We receive a lot of Americans in Barcelona and most of them get around in Spanish.

The most impervious people to foreign languages are the British, we have tourists that have been coming to Spain during the last 50 years and they mispronounce "cerveza" (the only Spanish word they know).
That is pretty sad, heck, I have even learned a few Spanish terms in the short couple of months I have lived here to converse with my condo valet and building attendant.

Back to subject:

I love Miami!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:10 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I have lived in four other countries, traveled to all fifty states, and lived in six others, I have plenty of traveling under my belt thank you.

Yes, I use to live in Chicago as well.

Now back to Miami, the subject. Having people pretend to care or be interested in other cultures is worst than just not caring in my opinion. If you take a look where many of the people of Miami are from, they have little regard for other customs and cultures besides their own, to the point of not even learning the primary language of the country they reside.

So while it will be neat and cool to have a little interest in something besides Cuban here, I think it would be even more pitiful to pretend to have interest in something else (of course always led by your liberal elite) when in fact there is no true interest.

This is not a Miami thing, many cities in the world are like this, the primary culture is the dominate force, and seldom are cities on the level of NYC and London, which are more exceptions than the rule.
what does this have to do with having cultural diversity in terms of activities down here?

Old 12-27-2010, 09:15 AM

16,259 posts, read 43,206,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
As countries like China, India, Brazil and Russia continue to evolve and become superpowers themselves, it may come to a point where either Chinese, Spanish or Portuguese become the main language.
I'll preface with saying that I do think it is a good idea for Americans to learn a second language.

BUT...I don't think Chinese, Hindi, Portuguese or Russian will replace English as the world's main language. I think something profound has to happen well and beyond just another country gaining economic prominence.

For example, if the Chinese (or whoever) began to produce the world's most popular music and movies, and their tv shows, foods, music produced became household names around the world. Then, maybe.....maybe. However, I just cannot imagine that happening. Then you have the Chinese writing system that takes decades to master. I don't see other people in, say, Portugal, spending a decades just to teach their kids basic Chinese characters. (Those things take decades to learn, even for native Chinese/Japanese).

The problem with Russia is that if Russia did become huge, it if later falts, it's just one country. Outside of the previous Soviet Union, there just isn't Russian in a ton of various countries spread out on differnet continents.

Spanish is really the ONLY language that has a remote chance, and I really think it would be through the U.S. As the States has more and more Spanish-speakers, it's greater world influence occassionally creates interest. But generally I think an Asian student who successfully learns English first, later generates interest in Spanish due to Spanish's minor influence in the States.

Old 12-27-2010, 12:45 PM

2,226 posts, read 5,110,674 times
Tiger

Maybe some sort of Pidgin chinese, with some English and Spanish...
Just like that language they speak in Blade Runner.
Some sort of Tagalog...

Old 12-27-2010, 12:54 PM

8,289 posts, read 13,568,938 times
What do I hate the most about Miami? The "haters" who come onto a Internet forum and complain about Miami yet still manage to live there regardless of their constant whining & complaining!

Old 12-27-2010, 03:01 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,130,993 times
I really like the diversity found here - the people, the food, music, entertainment. What I don't like - and I am sure it is not limited to this area - the corruption -politicians, companies (repair work, etc.). The sad thing is that people vote for corrupt politicians! Many are just out to make a buck any way they can, no matter who they hurt in the process.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami