Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Miami?
Rude people 64 44.14%
Lack of Diversity 25 17.24%
Crime 43 29.66%
Drug problems 32 22.07%
Schools 22 15.17%
Bad Economy 32 22.07%
Boring/Nothing to Do 12 8.28%
Distances too far 16 11.03%
Not easy to stay thin 6 4.14%
Cost of Living 38 26.21%
Low Income 29 20.00%
Traffic 38 26.21%
Insufficient Public Transportation 16 11.03%
I actually like it here 41 28.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2010, 03:50 PM

810 posts, read 1,578,285 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
That proves my point ... maybe maybe Miami should have more a hole cops like in Miami Springs or Pine Crest and state troopers instead of wannabee body builders out to impress hot latin chicks .. while stopping them and flirting as a Daddy Yankee clone flys by in their purple Honda Civics with a whale tail and are ignored !!!
Rocknewman it's PINECREST, not pine crest, one word not two, Pine crest is some insignificant school in Ft Lauderdale
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2010, 04:42 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock Newman View Post
That proves my point ... maybe maybe Miami should have more a hole cops like in Miami Springs or Pine Crest and state troopers instead of wannabee body builders out to impress hot latin chicks .. while stopping them and flirting as a Daddy Yankee clone flys by in their purple Honda Civics with a whale tail and are ignored !!!
Agreed, but in order for that to happen, there needs to be the will to change. Greater public outrage at the # of hit and runs and towards the awful driving in general would be a good start. Politicians, trust them or not are basically just an arm of the people, the electorate. Regardless of partisanship, if politicians were forced to address the issue because of the will of the people, change would eventually happen (unless what we're living in isn't actually a democracy). I think that in Miami in particular, reckless driving is considered such a norm that many people just don't care or don't care to care. Hit and runs in partiular are disgusting. In other countries, hit and run killings make national news, not some side article in the Miami Herald and the public outrage is already there.

There are good people in Miami, but I wish the good people were more proactive on many levels. If the reckless driving problem was well and truly cracked down on, 65% of my complaints about Miami would instantly vanish into oblivion. This is a problem that has taken too many lives and ruined too many lives.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Rocknewman it's PINECREST, not pine crest, one word not two, Pine crest is some insignificant school in Ft Lauderdale
Don't rag on the man for a simple mistake. If I didn't live in Miami, I would also assume that Pinecrest is 2 words.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:47 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,125,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
Agreed, but in order for that to happen, there needs to be the will to change. Greater public outrage at the # of hit and runs and towards the awful driving in general would be a good start. Politicians, trust them or not are basically just an arm of the people, the electorate. Regardless of partisanship, if politicians were forced to address the issue because of the will of the people, change would eventually happen (unless what we're living in isn't actually a democracy). I think that in Miami in particular, reckless driving is considered such a norm that many people just don't care or don't care to care. Hit and runs in partiular are disgusting. In other countries, hit and run killings make national news, not some side article in the Miami Herald and the public outrage is already there.

There are good people in Miami, but I wish the good people were more proactive on many levels. If the reckless driving problem was well and truly cracked down on, 65% of my complaints about Miami would instantly vanish into oblivion. This is a problem that has taken too many lives and ruined too many lives.

Very good points. I agree with you. Enforce the laws. I hear there will be lots more red light cameras appearing. Reckless driving and just plain lack of regard for laws and decency (sp?) is all too common here.

Old 12-29-2010, 04:48 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
"I will say one thing for the Spanish speaking people in Miami - most of them are actually bilingual, even though Miami is seen as a place where no English is spoken (this I disagree with)"

For having most of them bilingual, there sure are a heck of a lot of jobs requiring Spanish and English, signs in Spanish, menus in Spanish, government papers in Spanish, etc....

Old 12-29-2010, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
Very good points. I agree with you. Enforce the laws. I hear there will be lots more red light cameras appearing. Reckless driving and just plain lack of regard for laws and decency (sp?) is all too common here.
That's another issue - cameras. I am not altogether fond of them and the city's intentions when it comes to installing them are really not good intentions concerning our safety (more like let's generate some more $$$), but let's face the painful reality: they are literally a necessity in a city like Miami, where so many drivers run red lights without shame or consideration for other human beings. Any loss of freedom or infringements on our beloved Constitution have been enabled by *******s who have been abusing the privilege of driving for many years now. Thanks to them, we are going to have to suffer the Orwellian BS, although there really is no privacy on a public highway

Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,074,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
"I will say one thing for the Spanish speaking people in Miami - most of them are actually bilingual, even though Miami is seen as a place where no English is spoken (this I disagree with)"

For having most of them bilingual, there sure are a heck of a lot of jobs requiring Spanish and English, signs in Spanish, menus in Spanish, government papers in Spanish, etc....

You have to remember though that Miami receives hundreds of thousands of Latin American tourists every year and is considered the gateway to Latin America .. as well many US multinationals have their LA offices based in Miami .. last much of the high end real estae is sold to wealthy Latin Americans who use these as either second homes or investments .. its what it is .... I do not care one bit about the Spanish .. especially now that I understand much of it .. it is rudeness . third world attitudes and refusing to learn English on the part of some arrivals that bothers me .. when you go to a place like The Dolphin Mall or even the Sawgrass Mall up in Sunrise .... the Spanish that you hear is overwhelmingly from LA tourists which does not bother me one bit ... it is attitude from some of the Hispanic service employees that can be annoying ... if people were more considerate and just plain friendlier .. the Spanish would not be an issue .. actually it makes Miami and So Fla unique and frankly cool ... not all cities can be Raleigh or Minneapolis ... that would be very boring .

Old 12-29-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Don't rag on the man for a simple mistake. If I didn't live in Miami, I would also assume that Pinecrest is 2 words.

Thanks Glasvegas !!!

Old 12-29-2010, 05:11 PM

Quote:

You know I never thought of it that way .... but my biggest gripe about Miami is the obscene driving ... I could probably overlook the other issues that I did not like if not for the maniacal drivers .

Old 12-29-2010, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hialeah_Rules View Post
Disculpa ( ooops ) my bad .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami