Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What do you hate most about Miami?
Rude people 64 44.14%
Lack of Diversity 25 17.24%
Crime 43 29.66%
Drug problems 32 22.07%
Schools 22 15.17%
Bad Economy 32 22.07%
Boring/Nothing to Do 12 8.28%
Distances too far 16 11.03%
Not easy to stay thin 6 4.14%
Cost of Living 38 26.21%
Low Income 29 20.00%
Traffic 38 26.21%
Insufficient Public Transportation 16 11.03%
I actually like it here 41 28.28%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 145. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 PM

932 posts, read 1,178,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Geez! You all are doing a fine job of taking Miami off my list of destinations to retire to when the time comes. My family and I spent two days there in 2003 during a Florida vacation. We enjoyed our brief stay. Unfortunately, what I read here today confirms what I've heard from a Miami resident friend.

I live in Los Angeles and also confront some of the negative ilks mentioned herein. Fortunately, they seem to be easily avoidable out here. From the sounds of it, there is a form of segregated diversity in Miami. By that I mean, diverse groups of people have segregated themselves into enclaves based on their countries of origin. That also occurs out here to some extent. But, I dare say most areas are culturally and ethnically integrated. It's not always a good thing, but for the most it is.

The community I reside in is predominantly Asian, including people from India. But there are also Hispanics (me being one), African-Americans, and Anglos. It's a relatively peaceful community with the exception of certain "ghetto" areas.

Thanks, you guys! Miami is officially off my list!
What attracted you to Miami in the first place? Although Miami is not for everyone, many people here do enjoy it. It really just depends on you, as an individual. One man's hell can be another man's heaven.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2010, 01:25 PM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glasvegas View Post
What attracted you to Miami in the first place? Although Miami is not for everyone, many people here do enjoy it. It really just depends on you, as an individual. One man's hell can be another man's heaven.
As stated, I was there once during a Florida vacation. I do not live in Miami. I live in Los Angeles. However, I have toyed with the idea of moving to Florida (particularly Miami) upon retirement given it's proximity to my homeland. But, after reading this thread (which directly lines up with my friend's impression of Miami) I am inclined to scratch it off my list of post-retirement destinations.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:03 PM

2,113 posts, read 5,079,932 times
Quote:
As stated, I was there once during a Florida vacation. I do not live in Miami. I live in Los Angeles. However, I have toyed with the idea of moving to Florida (particularly Miami) upon retirement given it's proximity to my homeland. But, after reading this thread (which directly lines up with my friend's impression of Miami) I am inclined to scratch it off my list of post-retirement destinations.

Look 45 - 60 minutes north in Broward or Palm Beach County .... more real diversity than Miami ... more relaxed .

Old 12-31-2010, 10:13 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,409,916 times
Quote:
Geez! You all are doing a fine job of taking Miami off my list of destinations to retire to when the time comes. My family and I spent two days there in 2003 during a Florida vacation. We enjoyed our brief stay. Unfortunately, what I read here today confirms what I've heard from a Miami resident friend.

I live in Los Angeles and also confront some of the negative ilks mentioned herein. Fortunately, they seem to be easily avoidable out here. From the sounds of it, there is a form of segregated diversity in Miami. By that I mean, diverse groups of people have segregated themselves into enclaves based on their countries of origin. That also occurs out here to some extent. But, I dare say most areas are culturally and ethnically integrated. It's not always a good thing, but for the most it is.

The community I reside in is predominantly Asian, including people from India. But there are also Hispanics (me being one), African-Americans, and Anglos. It's a relatively peaceful community with the exception of certain "ghetto" areas.

Thanks, you guys! Miami is officially off my list!

Considering that you only gave Miami a two day chance and are willing to base your opinion of it on merely what is written in a forum, instead of your own experience and the evidence of your own eyes, perhaps Miami isn't for you. If you come to Miami with these negative preconceived notions it will only serve to reinforce your own biases and all your experiences that do not conform to those biases will go unrecorded by your memory. You will literally create your own hell. Miami is a very karmic place that way! As was brilliantly stated by another poster called TGEL on another thread, embrace Miami and Miami will embrace you back. Give respect and you'll get respect. You reap what you sow, and comeuppances come quicker in Miami!

Old 01-01-2011, 10:36 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,397,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
Considering that you only gave Miami a two day chance and are willing to base your opinion of it on merely what is written in a forum, instead of your own experience and the evidence of your own eyes, perhaps Miami isn't for you. If you come to Miami with these negative preconceived notions it will only serve to reinforce your own biases and all your experiences that do not conform to those biases will go unrecorded by your memory. You will literally create your own hell. Miami is a very karmic place that way! As was brilliantly stated by another poster called TGEL on another thread, embrace Miami and Miami will embrace you back. Give respect and you'll get respect. You reap what you sow, and comeuppances come quicker in Miami!
Sure. You're right to point out that I should not base my opinion by what's written on a forum. However, I previously mentioned that what's been written here solidly confirms what a Miami resident friend of mine repeatedly says about Miami. Her primary complaint is people's rudeness. Lack of diversity seems to rank high on her list. Lastly, she tells me that her former "nice" neighborhood has quickly turned into a third world basket case of people not willing to adapt or assimilate to the customs of the USA.

So, between her POV and that of posters on this thread, I will keep Miami off my post-retirement destination list.

Last edited by chacho_keva; 01-01-2011 at 11:02 AM..

Old 01-01-2011, 10:51 AM

932 posts, read 1,178,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptoid Humidian View Post
I'm sorry, but I'm not going sit back and let comments like this simply slide for the sake of keeping the peace. What you've posted really isn't the truth. Although there are exceptions, generally respect is very hard to come by in Miami, even if you treat others with respect. When I first came here, I tried to make an effort with people and ended getting taken advantage of. Miami will not embrace you, even if you embrace it. I am not "bashing", but rather expressing what so many others have expressed from their own personal experiences in living in Miami.

The advice that some of you give those thinking of moving to Miami is potntially dangerous. By making Miami out to be something it is not (karmic for example), you are reinforcing the misconceptions of Miami that many who have never lived here already have in their minds. As for reaping what you sow, just be prepared to do more sowing and less reaping. It is never as simple as that, especially in a place with so many snakes, frauds, generally sketchy people and con artists, or perfectly decent people who just choose to remain within the circles of their own ethnic enclaves.

Why not just be truthful, even if Miami is your favorite place on earth? Explain what you like about Miami, but also explain the pitfalls and that Miami really isn't for everyone (this applies to Miami more than most US major cities).

For the record, maybe chacho should consider spending a bit more time here, but I get the impression that other parts of Florida would be far more suited to his needs.

Old 01-01-2011, 11:34 PM

4 posts, read 7,492 times
Several here wrote that Miami is deeply divided sectarian city (among other things that suck in Miami) and kind of forgot to mention Jersey Shore transplants/snowbirds as another group of people that add to that perception that people in Miami suck.
People here suck compared to which other major city? I don't think you can expect the level of polite and nice that smaller communities north have. Miami is a city of people in transit, many that live here are actually "in transit" to somewhere else. Since in transit, to some people it seems ok to be rude, it's not likely they will see you ever again.
If you haven't made your money somewhere else and consider Miami as your new home, look at the ever- rising cost of living vs. shrinking income and be prepared to grow dissapointed.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:52 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Rock Newman
Quote:
more real diversity than Miami
No ...
Quote:
more relaxed
thats one way to put it.

Old 01-02-2011, 10:19 AM

2,113 posts, read 5,079,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Style View Post
Rock Newman No ... thats one way to put it.

Not sure what message you are trying to convey .... you do not think Broward is more diverse than Dade ..... I sure think that it is .. in fact much more ... again please explain if I am misunderstanding your post ?

Old 01-02-2011, 10:29 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,373,482 times
Rock Newman
Quote:
Not sure what message you are trying to convey .... you do not think Broward is more diverse than Dade
no
Quote:
..... I sure think that it is .. in fact much more
nope, more WASPS? yes, more diverse
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami