Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 08:32 PM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times

Advertisements

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQ90LRaEIt0&ob=av2el

Love this song.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 08:41 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
haha. entertaining freak show and the song was pretty decent too.

Old 01-19-2011, 08:46 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Default Re: Foal-Miami

I just went to youtube to watch that! Hilariously grotesque!!!!!!

Jeez!!! Don't those people just scare the hell out of you?! The gangstas in the donk were the most approachable people in the whole vid. Yes, if I had been there I would have had to run to the gangstas for help!!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,405,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
Guayaberas. I can dig it.

I just buy mine at Valsan!! how are the prices at Guayabera World? (Guayabera vs Guayavera, Tomatoes vs Tom-aaaahhh-tooosss, yes, that old chestnut)

Old 01-19-2011, 09:02 PM

Haven't bought any yet but been considering getting some.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:01 AM

203 posts, read 428,201 times
To reinforce the assertion that there's a significantly large number of rude people in Miami -

I have a dog and I walk him 3x-4x a day, mornings, lunch, afternoon and the evening. 9 out of the 10 people I walk past, either don't make eye-contact, say a simple "hello" or even make any acknowledgement that there's another human being passing only 2 feet away. I, on the other hand, will always either smile or just say a simple "hello" because that's the kind of person I am.

What is it with these people? Did I catch them on a bad day (which seems to be everyday)? Even if I'm not walking my dog and I'm simply in transit, there's absolutely no air of friendliness. It could be the fact of my location (Brickell Ave) but I'm sure that doesn't provide reasonable justification.

I just don't really get it. It is a part of the culture (hispanic, latino, cuban) here?

As mentioned above, I come from a hard city full of personalities but I've found it surprising that people, more often than not, are friendly and aren't afraid to have a simple interaction.

I've come to the conclusion, in my short time here, that Miami is just not for me. It may be for some people (and I'm happy for you) but unfortunately your reputation, which I refused to accept prior to moving down here, has been fully agreed upon.

You have beautiful weather in the winter and I'm gratefully thankful for that.

Old 01-20-2011, 06:13 AM

888 posts, read 885,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
9 out of the 10 people I walk past, either don't make eye-contact, say a simple "hello" or even make any acknowledgement that there's another human being passing only 2 feet away. I, on the other hand, will always either smile or just say a simple "hello" because that's the kind of person I am.

What is it with these people? Did I catch them on a bad day (which seems to be everyday)? Even if I'm not walking my dog and I'm simply in transit, there's absolutely no air of friendliness. It could be the fact of my location (Brickell Ave) but I'm sure that doesn't provide reasonable justification.

I just don't really get it. It is a part of the culture (hispanic, latino, cuban) here?
Seriously, what does it matter to your quality of life if strangers talk to you or not? You don't know them personally, so why would you care? Are you looking to make friends/companions from these impromptu meetings? You have no other motive than just whimsical superficiality?

Old 01-20-2011, 06:31 AM

nyc, neither i nor my girlfriend make eye contact. i think its a west coast thing but people shy away from eye contact there. maybe its the asian influence? its too intense. the not saying hello thing is something we learned here. we find its better just to not invite a conversation and be invisible. you dont know who youre talking to, they could be dangerous. its the same reason none of my neighbors know each other.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:07 AM

932 posts, read 1,176,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cixcell View Post
nyc, neither i nor my girlfriend make eye contact. i think its a west coast thing but people shy away from eye contact there. maybe its the asian influence? its too intense. the not saying hello thing is something we learned here. we find its better just to not invite a conversation and be invisible. you dont know who youre talking to, they could be dangerous. its the same reason none of my neighbors know each other.
I personally don't make eye contact. It's nothing rude. I'm just not comfortable with it.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 AM

911 posts, read 1,712,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC809 View Post
To reinforce the assertion that there's a significantly large number of rude people in Miami -
Let me try to help rather than lambaste you.

I'm going through an adjustment period too. Few on this board have spewed more venom about living in Miami of late. I'm with you on your assertions but after banging my head on the wall from being discouraged here, I have decided to take a new approach to Miami.

I'm going to do the things I wanted to do when I came here. If you don't enjoy the things that Miami offers more than the hassle of living here, then Miami is not for you.

Many of us who come from other cities expect similarity with our home cities. I have been to other cities and while each has nuances, Miami presents a new set of challenges because of the ethnic makeup. Unless you come from an area that the majority of it's population is Cuban and black Caribbean you simply won't be accustomed to their cultural ways.

I lived in southern Mexico for two years. Cubans are different than Mexicans but both Hispanic. We have plenty of African Americans in Dallas. Black Caribbean people are different in Miami. People say here all the time, it's Hispanic and Black here and you think you are prepared, but once you arrive you see it's not what you expected unless you have direct experiences with those two specific cultures.

The other part of this is Miami itself and past the cultural differences is that Miami has it's own way of dealing with life here. People are generally wary here, keep to themselves as Miami is one of the highest crime cities in the country.

The people of Miami assume you are guilty and you have to prove you're innocent before they will open up. That is what you are seeing on the street and like you've experienced in 9 out of 10 cases, not 10 of of 10.

To see a stark contrast, simply go 10 miles north. As an social experiment, go to Hollywood beach early in the morning and walk the boardwalk. People say good morning up there before you can get it out of your own mouth. You can find friendly people in south Florida but not usually on the streets of Miami.

You and I don't live in Hollywood or Miami beach, you and I live in the city of Miami and in the belly of this beast and that requires us to be more diligent in our pursuits of happiness.

Ask yourself this, why did I come here and am I doing what I came to do? Then ask yourself, if living with the issues I have with Miami is worth what I gained. That will give you your answer to stay or leave.

I came here for one reason, to play in the water and enjoy the weather. If this place had no windsurfing, Kayaking, fishing, snorkeling etc, I would not be here. I really think you MUST do the things that make you happy here or else the rest of this mess is just not worth it.

You and I have the same problem with Miami, the lack of civility based on where we came. Miami will be rude long after you and I leave nor can we change it, so we have to change the way we approach our time here.

Sure we wish Miami was NYC with 80* temps in Jan. but clearly it's not. Moving to Miami, you loose good public transportation and gain better fauna. Depending on what's more important to you will dictate how much you love or hate Miami.

I'm out too and asap for the very reasons you are, but I'll be damned if Miami will keep me from enjoying as much as I can until I leave. You and I moved 1000's of miles to get here and I'm not about to let the rude people here keep me from having fun. You're a NYer, so man up and take Miami for what it's worth to you, rather than ask for what Miami has to offer.

Here's a tip I do to help me cope. Go sit on the bay, watch a sunrise, from Brickell, travel over the Rickenbacker to Hobie Beach and watch the windsurfers for a while. You'll be reminded why you're here and it may help you cope with those things you find objectionable.

Miami is a city with significant trades offs, and only you can decide to trade. If Miami had no Tarpon, I might as well live in Topeka so I'm going to fish regularly to make the rest of this more palatable until I leave.

I hope that helps, PM me if you want to talk more.

Last edited by Jmlacysr; 01-20-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami