Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 11:01 AM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,263 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I recently moved from Vancouver Canada to Florida. Right now as a dual citizen. Im staying with family in Orlando area. I have an MBA ( with additional course work in Finance and Marketing) and 2 bachelors degrees, altough Im somewhat of a new grad can you give me some suggestions for the job hunt? I havent been looking that long but I want to look at actual company websites as opposed to career builder and monster etc. where can I find a good list of companies to check out their websites directly

I have spent allot of time in Florida in the past so I am familiar with the state. Im looking to go move to the south florida area. It has been a goal of mine for a long time

thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2011, 11:03 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
How much time have you spent in the south florida area?

Old 01-19-2011, 11:09 AM

1,946 posts, read 5,386,098 times
You might want to try Indeed.com to search for jobs. It will link you directly to the job postings on a company's site (though some Careerbuilder stuff will come up too, but it's still pretty good).

Old 01-19-2011, 12:33 PM

888 posts, read 887,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan Dive View Post
Hi everyone, I recently moved from Vancouver Canada to Florida. Right now as a dual citizen. Im staying with family in Orlando area. I have an MBA ( with additional course work in Finance and Marketing) and 2 bachelors degrees, altough Im somewhat of a new grad can you give me some suggestions for the job hunt? I havent been looking that long but I want to look at actual company websites as opposed to career builder and monster etc. where can I find a good list of companies to check out their websites directly

I have spent allot of time in Florida in the past so I am familiar with the state. Im looking to go move to the south florida area. It has been a goal of mine for a long time

thanks
Maybe you could research on-line to acquire a list of companies. Then when you compile a suitable comprehensive list, you then follow your strategy of visiting all of the company's websites. I'm sure with your MBA experience, you should have no problem to be able to customize an awesome list to start off your search.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:37 PM

1,626 posts, read 3,899,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynwood View Post
Maybe you could research on-line to acquire a list of companies. Then when you compile a suitable comprehensive list, you then follow your strategy of visiting all of the company's websites. I'm sure with your MBA experience, you should have no problem to be able to customize an awesome list to start off your search.

well I hope so, thought to ask some locals incase anybody may know something. I used to be a personal trainer and then I worked in the travel in resorts. I just recently finished my MBA so I have limited experience. I need to break out, the economy has me scared

I will check out Indeed, any other suggestions from anyone

Old 01-20-2011, 06:59 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
The news last night reported Miami has the one of the worst employment outlooks in the country (in the top 10 worst job markets in the country), they said it would take probably 5 years till we are back to where we were. They said Broward County was a little better than Miami Dade, but Palm Beach had a good outlook which surprised me.

Old 01-20-2011, 07:04 AM

2,217 posts, read 4,268,861 times
well there really are fewer and fewer companies down here. for the most part if someone wants a latin american presence they just have a small satellite office down here.

Old 01-20-2011, 08:08 AM

1,209 posts, read 2,420,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
The news last night reported Miami has the one of the worst employment outlooks in the country (in the top 10 worst job markets in the country), they said it would take probably 5 years till we are back to where we were. They said Broward County was a little better than Miami Dade, but Palm Beach had a good outlook which surprised me.
thats true. the jobs seem to be little upnorth. I see fellow RNs have more luck getting jobs in Palm Beach and Fort Lauderdale hospitals

Old 01-22-2011, 04:27 PM

535 posts, read 1,411,484 times
To be honest, it's really bad down here.... I was lucky to find two jobs that pay me minimum wage after 7 months of being unemployed... I'm not a high school dropout or anything, I have an A.A. and this is all they want to pay, same wage as a high school dropout... I have friends with Bachelor's degrees that are getting paid $8 an hour and others that are totally unemployed.... very sad...

Old 01-22-2011, 07:49 PM

683 posts, read 1,469,300 times
You have an A.A. in what???

Minimum wage??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami