Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2011, 08:17 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times

Advertisements

No place gets hit by hurricanes all the time. But it only takes one bad storm to mess a city up for years Look at New Orleans its last major hurricane was in 1969 before Katrina in 2005. Look at Miami. The city of Miami was not hit hard by Andrew but the suburbs were and the last hurricane that did bad damage in Miami before Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was the Great Miam Hurricane in 1926!! Really there are going to be a few bad storms a century and the rest wont be that bad. The last decent storm was Wilma in 2005 I think it was. Nothing terrible, but it was annoying not having power for 5 days and there were some roofs destroyed etc.. But nothing that effected the city for more then a a few months overall. Miami I will say will usually get one storm a year or so. But the vast majority of those storms are cat 1's or tropical storms and really do not do much damage.
You can also see this stat on how messed up some stats and perceptions are. South Florida is actually one of the most active tornado areas in the country but no one see's or thinks it is. That is because the vast majority 99% of the tornados which form in the South Florida area are weak Tornados, F0-F1 so not wide spread damage if any damage at all but they are still tornados.

However Miami is still the most likely city in the US to be hit by a Hurricane but its all numbers and luck. Is that hurricane strong, is it going to hit etc.. A hurricane has a whole entire gulf coast and atlantic coast line to move around in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 08:23 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
hurricane zones are an evolution in building materials. what doesnt get blown away usually gets replaced with something stronger and the process repeats every so many years. after enough iterations we'll be like the japanese working through minor earthquakes.

Old 06-16-2011, 08:25 PM

2,217 posts, read 4,265,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
No place gets hit by hurricanes all the time. But it only takes one bad storm to mess a city up for years Look at New Orleans its last major hurricane was in 1969 before Katrina in 2005. Look at Miami. The city of Miami was not hit hard by Andrew but the suburbs were and the last hurricane that did bad damage in Miami before Hurricane Andrew in 1992 was the Great Miam Hurricane in 1926!! Really there are going to be a few bad storms a century and the rest wont be that bad. The last decent storm was Wilma in 2005 I think it was. Nothing terrible, but it was annoying not having power for 5 days and there were some roofs destroyed etc.. But nothing that effected the city for more then a a few months overall. Miami I will say will usually get one storm a year or so. But the vast majority of those storms are cat 1's or tropical storms and really do not do much damage.
You can also see this stat on how messed up some stats and perceptions are. South Florida is actually one of the most active tornado areas in the country but no one see's or thinks it is. That is because the vast majority 99% of the tornados which form in the South Florida area are weak Tornados, F0-F1 so not wide spread damage if any damage at all but they are still tornados.

However Miami is still the most likely city in the US to be hit by a Hurricane but its all numbers and luck. Is that hurricane strong, is it going to hit etc.. A hurricane has a whole entire gulf coast and atlantic coast line to move around in.
funnel clouds here are a dime a dozen and its a damn shame nobody seems to notice them except me.

Old 06-16-2011, 09:22 PM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Hurricanes are extremely rare. No major hurricane has hit the city of Miami in my lifetime, in fact the last good one was in 1926. If I had my way, there would be at least a cat 1 hurricane every 10 years and a cat 5 every 50 years. It would clean house and refresh the area.

Old 06-16-2011, 10:10 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,001,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
Hurricanes are extremely rare. No major hurricane has hit the city of Miami in my lifetime, in fact the last good one was in 1926. If I had my way, there would be at least a cat 1 hurricane every 10 years and a cat 5 every 50 years. It would clean house and refresh the area.
Well I could care less about a CAT-1 CAT ones are jokes. We could take 4 cat-1 a year and not really care much. But any CAT-5 is terrible. Never want to see one in the area. We saw one in the Metro area in 1992 of course.

Old 06-17-2011, 11:27 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,739,729 times
Quote:
Well I could care less about a CAT-1 CAT ones are jokes. We could take 4 cat-1 a year and not really care much. But any CAT-5 is terrible. Never want to see one in the area. We saw one in the Metro area in 1992 of course.
Miami was lucky that Andrew did not hit it directly. I was in kendall for Andrew and while it was intense, it was not full cat 4 status there, maybe 2. The destruction would have been far more exciting if it had followed the forecast track over Miami Beach and through Coral Gables.

Old 06-17-2011, 12:44 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,937,844 times
Quote:
Not unless you live in a trailer, people need to respect any category hurricane along with tropical storms.

Old 06-17-2011, 04:57 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,382,966 times
Quote:
Miami was lucky that Andrew did not hit it directly. I was in kendall for Andrew and while it was intense, it was not full cat 4 status there, maybe 2. The destruction would have been far more exciting if it had followed the forecast track over Miami Beach and through Coral Gables.
Must've been eastern Kendall--parts of western Kendall were flat-out destroyed. Goes to show what a difference just a few miles makes.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:31 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,897,831 times
I was in West Kendall and I seriously doubt that a Cat 2 did that kind of damage. Wilma, Katrina and Rita were just summer storms compared to Andrew in West Kendall.

Old 06-17-2011, 05:38 PM

1,284 posts, read 3,895,213 times
Quote:
Country Walk would be considered SW Kendall and that's where I was living during Andrew,Country Walk had some of the strongest gusts of 200 mph with a consistent Category 5 sustained winds of 155.Pretty much every house had major damage,roofs gone,many two story houses totally had the second floor dissapear and there were even some that totally collapsed.What saved the place from being totally gone is that Andrew moved through very quickly,it started around 3 am and the worst was gone by 6:30am,if it would gave stalled forget about it,I might not even be here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami