Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 01:26 PM

1,821 posts, read 2,901,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldemila View Post
Not Tower, was with Security First. It really made no sense to me, I thought why not give me the option to go with someone else that does sell their insurance. Underwriter told me she had over 100 customers in her office alone that she had to find insurance for.

Since the insurance companies have free reign and can insure who they choose to insure, you can get insurance but it may cost you an arm, leg and possibly a brain depending on your home's critieria, or you can go with the insurance of last resort and get what millions of other home owners have had no real choice of going with, and probably save a lot of money. Our insurance with Citizens was definitely cheaper than our last year with SF.

It's unbelievable that there seems to be no guidelines for the ins. companies on how they operate, it seems whatever they want to do, they get to do. Pay their high premiums and they get to drop you just because they want to - they get your money and then let you go. You get screwed with your pants on!
That's funny, because my letter was worded the same way about dropping me because they are no longer dealing with my agent but they are really no longer dealing with any agents.
My new quote is for $2835 for a 3k sq ft home with a pool. I have to pay $85 for a mitigation inspection. Has anyone done one before and knows what it entails? My home was built in 2002 so I think everything should be ok.

Is that AAA Insurance the same company that has the auto club? I didn't think they did homeowners in SFL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 01:32 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,790 times
I hate to ask or say anything, but is homeowners insurance all that pricey down there???? I have a 2000 sq ft home that is beachside and pay 1200. Is that quote with hurricane insurance included??

Old 08-08-2011, 01:46 PM

Consumer HomeOwners' Insurance Comparison Electronic System (CHOICES)

You can compare costs here. I think Miami-Dade county has the highest rates in the state.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
1200 seems really low. It probably doesn't include flood which is what you want to add if you are beachside. Regular HOI includes wind which hurricanes fall under. The Keys have the highest rates in Florida, Miami-Dade follows right behind.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
1200 seems really low. It probably doesn't include flood which is what you want to add if you are beachside. Regular HOI includes wind which hurricanes fall under. The Keys have the highest rates in Florida, Miami-Dade follows right behind.

Yes, I have 3 different policies. I pay a bit less for hurricane insurance as a separate policy than if it were on my homeowners. AND to be honest, if my insurance were to go up like the OP, I just would not have the money for it...so then what?? How would they get "blood out of a turnip"? I would have to try to sell my home or foreclose. SO much for the American Dream.

BUT with that said, what can we do besides writing to our congressmen to get this regulated/capped?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:57 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post
That's funny, because my letter was worded the same way about dropping me because they are no longer dealing with my agent but they are really no longer dealing with any agents.
My new quote is for $2835 for a 3k sq ft home with a pool. I have to pay $85 for a mitigation inspection. Has anyone done one before and knows what it entails? My home was built in 2002 so I think everything should be ok.

Is that AAA Insurance the same company that has the auto club? I didn't think they did homeowners in SFL.
Yes, it is. I didn't know they were writing homeowners ins until a friend told me.

What company gave you the new quote, if you don't mind me asking?

Old 08-08-2011, 01:58 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,340,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Yes, I have 3 different policies. I pay a bit less for hurricane insurance as a separate policy than if it were on my homeowners. AND to be honest, if my insurance were to go up like the OP, I just would not have the money for it...so then what?? How would they get :blood out of a turnip"? I would have to try to sell my home or foreclose. SO much for the American Dream.

BUT with that said, what can we do besides writing to our congressmen to get this regulated/capped?
If your home is mortgaged and you can't show proof of ins., your mortgage co. will get it for you (at any cost) and add it to your mortgage payment.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
If your home is mortgaged and you can't show proof of ins., your mortgage co. will get it for you (at any cost) and add it to your mortgage payment.
Yes, I know....and then like I said: foreclosure...

Old 08-08-2011, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doggiebus View Post
If you look at that website, Maimi Dade's lowest is higher than the Keys lowest quote. Not sure how that's possible.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,941,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
I received my State Farm renewal notice this week. My premium went from $3000 (2010 -'11) to $8300 (2011-'12) for the exact same coverage. An increase of 276%!

How in the world can they get away with this?
Wow! That's what the health insurance companies did to me until I couldn't afford coverage because of my age & health. It's a way of weeding out the areas they don't want to insure (in this case it's houses instead of people) Maybe everyone who has State Farm for their autos should change insurance companies in protest. I have State Farm and am seriously considering it, since they are treating homeowners so unfairly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valicky View Post

You can get a combination auto/home rate. Not sure if there's a big discount, but I got a quote from AAA when I put an offer on a home in Florida.

It's not exactly the same as the roadside assistance, but it's under the same umbrella so to speak. You don't have to be a AAA member AFAIK (although I am)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami