Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Moving to miami from NY
Public schools information for autistic children 2 40.00%
Apartments information 3 60.00%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:34 PM

2 posts, read 9,001 times

Advertisements

Please can anyone direct me I'm moving to the miami area next month and i need to get information on public schools for my boys that have special education programs for autistic children ages 12 and 9 if is there a phone number that i can call like a department of education do the provide school busses to pick them up and take them to school?and wish part is best for us i here people saying the south and the north i'm not familiar with the area im looking to rent a two bedroom apartment i go to rent.com but im not familiar with the zones and your buildings are so nice nothing compare to NY city at all, I think this state will be better for my boys and will give us a new start also i dont drive and i will need a area where shoping supermarkets and public trasportation are available for us.
Anyone with any information i will really apreciate it.

Thanks for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 06:34 PM

41 posts, read 257,591 times
You need to contact Dade County Public Schools. You can go online to dadeschools.net and get the contact #'s you need and take it from there. Since you do not know which area you will be living it would premature to tell which schools are the better ones. Zip codes you may want to consider where shopping ctrs are close are 33172 and 33175 to mention some. You may have to seriously consider getting your driver's license because public transportation here will NEVER compare to NY public transit. You WILL need a car in Miami. Hopefully some others on the forum will give you their input on other neighborhoods. Hope this helps.

Old 02-05-2008, 06:43 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,466,347 times
I have to agree with the other poster, that you really should get a car. Miami's public transportation isn't great. And I wouldn't want to be waiting for a bus outside in the heat, humidity and rain from May through November.

Some advice: South of downtown Miami, without a car, you should stay as close to US1 as possible were the Metrorail runs all the way South to Kendall Drive (88 Street).

Old 02-05-2008, 06:53 PM

350 posts, read 1,522,732 times
This place can help guide you: Welcome to UM-NSU CARD On-line. Make sure you come with copies of their current IEPs and cumulative records. You will need a reliable car in Miami.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 PM

1,781 posts, read 6,965,236 times
The Op states I don`t drive....I am assuming the OP can`t drive for some reason? So telling them you need a car might not work.

Old 02-06-2008, 11:11 AM

93 posts, read 273,664 times
Default Not the best place for Autism resources

I can tell you that this is ot the best place for Autism resources. There are some DAN doctors but none of them accept insurance. Additionally, the school system here does not compare with anything in the NE. I have been here a long while and the development of the school system has not kept pace with the sprawl. Probably one fo the best and well known DAN doctors in the country is in MIami Beach his name is Dr. Levinson.

Good luck otherwise. Also do not be afraid to look into Broward County. In my opinion only, Broward does better when it comes to Social Services. I think this is a direct result of a lower population and a little higher taxation.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,371,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisi72 View Post
Please can anyone direct me I'm moving to the miami area next month and i need to get information on public schools for my boys that have special education programs for autistic children ages 12 and 9 if is there a phone number that i can call like a department of education do the provide school busses to pick them up and take them to school?and wish part is best for us i here people saying the south and the north i'm not familiar with the area im looking to rent a two bedroom apartment i go to rent.com but im not familiar with the zones and your buildings are so nice nothing compare to NY city at all, I think this state will be better for my boys and will give us a new start also i dont drive and i will need a area where shoping supermarkets and public trasportation are available for us.
Anyone with any information i will really apreciate it.

Thanks for your time.
1. What are you looking to spend a month in rent?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alphaman View Post
The Op states I don`t drive....I am assuming the OP can`t drive for some reason? So telling them you need a car might not work.
OP is from NYC, it is not uncommon to find people there who can't or don't drive. Remember, NYC has one of the most extensive public transportation systems in the country. As a result, many just rely on it rather than drive. I have a lot of cousins in Brooklyn who don't drive and they are in their 30s and 40s.

2. You need to learn how to drive sooner rather than later. If you know how to drive then save up for a car, you are going to need it.

3. I am not to familiar with public schools in Miami so i hope someone else can help you on that one.

Old 02-08-2008, 08:52 PM

9 posts, read 26,712 times
Please check out: FDLRS/South. Their main office is close to where I live and the elementary school that my son attended has a large program for children diagnosed with autism and various learning disorders.

If you don't have a support system and especially if you have children, then driving is a necessity not a luxury.

I would highly recommend that you do a lot more research. There are a lot of things to consider before making such a big move.

Good luck!

Old 02-09-2008, 11:55 PM

15 posts, read 70,260 times
You will be fine in SF. Like other peopel say, you will need a car. Also are you moving here to work? If so do you know what area? That will make it easier to determine what area of Miami you will be moving and will determine how to handle the education situation of your boys. Hope this help...

Old 02-11-2008, 08:01 PM

96 posts, read 366,196 times
I haven't personally had children in Miami but the rumor is that the schools / education is pretty lousy. Of course - I'm not sure that this extends to special needs. Many people put their kids in private schools.

I would make *sure* to read about the services and any review of those services before moving here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami