Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 07:40 AM

6,853 posts, read 22,459,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorn247 View Post
What about an apartment or condo near Dadeland Mall?
All those high rise apartments in Downtown Dadeland area is a good suggestion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2012, 01:58 PM

1,946 posts, read 5,384,982 times
Grove, South Miami, and newer developments around Dadeland are all great suggestions. Actually I think there are literally around ~5 apartment complexes between both Pinecrest and Palmetto Bay. It's almost purely residential houses east of US1.

Old 02-24-2012, 06:12 PM

48 posts, read 130,869 times
Better then South Beach? That's good to hear, yeah I'm really liking what I see/read about Coconut Grove though, and I google street viewed the whole area ha. Looked at Brickell and only seems to be high rise condos and way too business like. I'll keep looking into South Miami too, spent 3-4hrs researching past few nights hardcore.

Old 02-24-2012, 08:03 PM

36 posts, read 75,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadSky View Post
Better then South Beach? That's good to hear, yeah I'm really liking what I see/read about Coconut Grove though, and I google street viewed the whole area ha. Looked at Brickell and only seems to be high rise condos and way too business like. I'll keep looking into South Miami too, spent 3-4hrs researching past few nights hardcore.
Did you street view Mary Brickell village specifically? That's the hang out area with the restaurants and such. Lots of "out of towners" are being directed there. You might like it.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:09 AM

Yes and it looks way too high class for me, but really nice. I am thinking Coconut Grove is the place where I'm focused on, wish me luck guys! Thanks for all your input, very much appreciated, ill keep you all updated!!

27 and first time moving out of the house, just me and pops right now, I have no regrets ive saved a LOT and it's now time to take that next step onto a new fresh journey in a new chapter of my life. I have an anxiety disorder so it's even harder for me to just go down right away now when I could, so it's gonna be tough but i WILL do it! I use to be agoraphobic and have a long way to go but i've come so far already, and the only way to conquer fear is to face is head on, and that's why it's taking me so long.

Thanks again everyone and wish me luck

Old 02-26-2012, 08:01 AM

When looking at Coconut Grove there is an area that is a little sketchy to the west of Cocowalk in Coconut Grove. Just an fyi, as crime does happen to spill over a few blocks of this area more so than other parts of Coconut Grove. So if you are looking at Coconut Grove it is best to avoid the western part.

Old 02-26-2012, 12:30 PM

Good to know, so focus on the east side? Overall looks like a great city with lots of stuff to do, like my city with a nice downtown area that has good shops/restaraunts. I saw an area on grand ave on google street view that was all black and looked run down, this the area you're talking about?

Old 02-26-2012, 02:20 PM

^^^Yes, it's just a little sketchy, its gotten much much better than when I was a kid. I have friends that have lived on streets bordering this area and have heard stories from them about break-ins or being mugged. Its just best to stay away from this part of the Grove. Or at the very least put a few blocks between you and this area.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,900 times
Its a real shame. That part of the Grove was originally settled by blacks from the Bahamas. Many of these people helped to build Miami in the early days. There are still some of the original families living in this location. Fine people.

Old 02-26-2012, 02:51 PM

I don't know enough about the history of the area (someone posted a link once about the history of the area I believe) to say what made the area decline. I wonder if the apartment complexes along Grand for instance have contributed to the decline. It would be interesting if they got rid of those apartment complexes along Grand Ave to see what would happen to the area (if the area just had businesses and single family homes).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami