Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-07-2007, 11:01 PM

2 posts, read 7,109 times

Advertisements

Hey,
I am a 25 year old single guy from UK.
I have been offered a job in Miami (fl 33172 is the area i will be working)
The pay i have been told is $45,000 - $55,000 to be neg.
How does this pay sound for a young singel guy.
I am just wondering where i would be best renting.
I have stayed in Miami near the beach before i was not to keen on it felt like i was in another country and not the USA. ( i hope that doesnt sound rude)
I did enjoy Ft lauderdale a lot more than miami.
Is Ft Lauderdale too far to travel to i thought it was not that bad last time i drove it.
I am working shift work so it would be early morning shifts and late shifts so i dont know weather that would make any differnce

Any advice would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2007, 05:21 PM

6,853 posts, read 22,463,765 times
Looks like you will be working in the Doral area. I hate to burst your bubble, but living in Miami you will not feel like you are in America. As Miami is very hispanic, feels like you are in Cuba or South/Central America. If you want to live in South Florida in a place that feels like America you need to about 45 minutes to an hour north of Miami. Ft. Lauderdale would be a good idea. But that is slowly starting to feel like South/Central America too.

As far as living in Ft. Lauderdale and driving to Doral, you could, many people do and commute. Ft. Lauderdale feels more American. And you said you will be working odd hours, so this way you would avoid rush hour traffic, that would be good then. If you do have to drive during rush hour traffic your commute time will be at least 1.5 hours to 2 hours. Without rush hour traffic probably 45 minutes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browny82 View Post
Hey,
I have stayed in Miami near the beach before i was not to keen on it felt like i was in another country and not the USA. ( i hope that doesnt sound rude)
Is Ft Lauderdale too far to travel to i thought it was not that bad last time i drove it.
I am working shift work so it would be early morning shifts and late shifts so i dont know weather that would make any differnce

Old 09-08-2007, 09:41 PM

1,308 posts, read 3,402,482 times
Quote:
Hey,

If your only job offer is in Miami, I wouldn't live here because it didn't feel like the U.S. to you in the past. If you move here, you'll end up on these forums letting off your steam like many others. You should try Ft.Lauderdale or Broward. Since your commute isnt during rush hour, traveling 35-50 minutes would probably be best for you. 33172 is in the Doral area which is pretty centralized. You wont have to travel to downtown Miami or deep south. I'm sure that 45-55k is enough for you to rent and have a decent life, as long as you're not bringing a $500 car payment and a ton of credit card debt with you. Good luck.

Old 09-08-2007, 11:05 PM

564 posts, read 1,900,908 times
$45-55k is enough to rent and live pretty well (not luxurious, but definitely not starving! )

Its too bad you're working in Miami-Dade as that makes it difficult to find a place that feels "like America". I personally like it here, but many don't.

My best recommendation would be to look for something to rent in the western half of Miramar, which is about as south and west as you can get in Broward. The commute shouldn't be too bad from there and it has a very American suburbia feel to it.

Old 09-10-2007, 06:42 AM

942 posts, read 2,584,132 times
Have I been dreaming the last eight years??? Wow, I live in Miami and I defiantely don't think I'm in another country. Thanks for letting me know guys. You know confusion sometimes creeps up on me. Ooops , I'll let my neighbors know to stop flying the good 'ole USA flag on Memorial Day too. It seems they are also confused. Whats next???

Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 AM

96 posts, read 344,726 times
Try and find a place to rent in Coconut Grove. It's a trendy area with good stuff to do for a young guy and it is close enough to Doral for a commute as well as being not too far from Miami Beach for more fun stuff. "The Grove" as it is known here offers a good mix of a old charming neighborhood with just enough nightlife so you don't have to go to Miami Beach.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:56 PM

9 posts, read 21,609 times
Quote:
Hey,

My advice - consider Broward County, for sure. At least a) you'll be able to afford to have a reasonable standard of living and b) you'll feel like you're still in the United States.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:36 PM

212 posts, read 426,857 times
I live in South Gables and drive to Doral each late morning. The commute is MUCH better from south of Doral than from Ft. Lauderdale, although you may find Broward more to your liking. The nicer neighborhoods of South Miami-Dade are the Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, East Kendall/Pinecrest . In all of those neighborhoods you will find bilingual English/Spanish, or just English spoken. Once you go out of those neighborhoods, you begin to get into populations where you may have to speak Spanish instead of English. There are large stretches of Miami-Dade where you can get by speaking Spanish only. This is the remarkable thing about Miami. Many people believe that we are highly diverse. We are not. We are highly populated by non English-speaking, foreign born Latin Americans. Makes it very interesting, but not very American in the traditional sense.

Last edited by investorscooter; 09-13-2007 at 06:38 PM.. Reason: didn't finish sentence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami