Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2013, 09:15 AM

4,836 posts, read 12,005,791 times

Advertisements

I did not want to reply until after last nights game. It is now WADE. Three Championships. Marino has zero. Marino is huge but this is becoming a basketball town now and the reason for that is Wade. Yes Lebron is the main reason for the past two championships but without Wade Heat never get Lebron and Heat never win that first Championship which made them a legitimate franchise in the NBA. Wade owns this town, it is his city and his franchise. Lets see if they can get another win next year.

Also Wade is know around the globe. He is world famous. The world loves basketball and they love Lebron and Wade. No way kids in China, Spain and Argentina care at all about Marino. No way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2013, 10:21 AM

5,528 posts, read 7,492,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
I did not want to reply until after last nights game. It is now WADE. Three Championships. Marino has zero. Marino is huge but this is becoming a basketball town now and the reason for that is Wade. Yes Lebron is the main reason for the past two championships but without Wade Heat never get Lebron and Heat never win that first Championship which made them a legitimate franchise in the NBA. Wade owns this town, it is his city and his franchise. Lets see if they can get another win next year.

Also Wade is know around the globe. He is world famous. The world loves basketball and they love Lebron and Wade. No way kids in China, Spain and Argentina care at all about Marino. No way.
I've been telling people this.

LBJ might win 20 championships/finals MVP with the team, this will still be Wade's team no matter what. He pretty much put the team on the map. No disrespect to Alonzo, Mashburn, Rice and the other Heat players that helped. But Wade took it to another level, he took his team on his back during the 08-09 season to the playoffs, the same can be said for the following season.

I still have the Wade jersey I purchased back in 2004 during his rookie season .

Old 06-21-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackTheRipper View Post
I've been telling people this.

LBJ might win 20 championships/finals MVP with the team, this will still be Wade's team no matter what. He pretty much put the team on the map. No disrespect to Alonzo, Mashburn, Rice and the other Heat players that helped. But Wade took it to another level, he took his team on his back during the 08-09 season to the playoffs, the same can be said for the following season.

I still have the Wade jersey I purchased back in 2004 during his rookie season .
Alonzo and Hardaway along with Riley made the Heat relevant in the NBA during that 96-97 ECF run and the classic Knicks Heat games but Wade made the team a top franchise in the NBA and now look at the Heat!

I remember the first playoff run with Wade, Butler and Odom. Such a fun team to watch. I was at most of the playoff games that year and I remember that Wade game winner in game one against the Hornets. There is a picture of that shot in one of the AAA parking garages and there I am in my seat behind that basket!

Old 06-21-2013, 05:21 PM

20 posts, read 41,001 times
Wade.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:22 PM

179 posts, read 308,543 times
You guys are off your rocker.

Marino is arguably one of the best QB's to ever play the game. He has in own street in Miami.

Wade isn't even the best player on his team. If not for Lebron the Heat wouldn't have won the last 2 championships.

This city is a "basketball town" RIGHT NOW cause we live in a fair-weather region where people only support winners. Lebron is who took the Heat to that next level, not Wade.

Sorry, you can't be Mr.Miami if you're not even the best player on the Miami Heat.

Don Shula > Dan Marino > everybody else

Old 06-23-2013, 03:39 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSicily954 View Post

Marino is arguably one of the best QB's to ever play the game. He has in own street in Miami.

Wade isn't even the best player on his team. If not for Lebron the Heat wouldn't have won the last 2 championships.

This city is a "basketball town" RIGHT NOW cause we live in a fair-weather region where people only support winners. Lebron is who took the Heat to that next level, not Wade.

Sorry, you can't be Mr.Miami if you're not even the best player on the Miami Heat.

In Miami that doesn't mean much. It seems like every street is named after someone and we have many streets.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
In Miami that doesn't mean much. It seems like every street is named after someone and we have many streets.
It means plenty when you're comparing athletes.

One has his own street.
The other one isn't even the best player on his team.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:44 PM

Don Shula is the winningest coach in NFL history and lead the Miami Dolphins to the only undefeated season in NFL history.

This might be a basketball city right now but this was a football city for over 30 years straight while Shula and Marino were here. And from the early 80's all the way to the early 2000's the Miami Hurricanes were the other main attraction in town.

Wade is a new-comer when you compare him to some of the legends that have played/coached sports in this city.

Old 06-23-2013, 05:38 PM

313 posts, read 647,294 times
Quote:

This is't a science man, there's no real Mr. Miami. Marino has had a lukewarm relationship with the Dolphins since he retired, focusing more on TV. You don't really hear about him unless you're a suburban socialite. Shula and Marino are Miami legends, but we're in 2013 and they're time has passed. If LeBron finishes his career in Miami, Marino and the Dolphins will take a backseat

As for Wade, I can guarantee you he'll have a statue outside the triple A before anyone else. He's a franchise player and this city LOVES him. You can have this argument with any Miami fan, but this is still his team.

Old 06-23-2013, 06:29 PM

Quote:

Marino has a fairly poor relationship with the dolphins that hurts him a lot when it comes to Mr. Miami. Wade is a top 3-4 shooting guard in NBA history. So honestly Wade is probably better at his position historically than Marino.

Again without Wade there is NO Lebron here. And there is no 2006 championship. Wade has made the Heat into one of the most successful and classiest franchises in professionals sports in the 2003-2013 era and beyond. Today you are right wade is not the best payer on the team but from how the crowd reacts when starting line ups are introduced he is still the most liked player on the team and without him this team obviously does not win the ECF.

Marino has won ZERO, lets say that again ZERO championships. Only went to one Super Bowl. Wade 4 NBA finals and 3 championships. Wade is world famous. When people all around the world think of Miami they think of the Miami Heat. Even before wade this was the case. I was in Spain in 2002 and I remember people talking about Alonzo Mourning.

Marino is great. But when all is said and done i guarantee you Wade will be seen as the best athlete this city has "raised." He already has more winning than Marino and has done a lot of charity in this city. Wade will likely always have a job with the Heat unless he goes into the media when he retires. Look how bad of a relationship Marino has with the dolphins. It doesn't help that the dolphins have been a failure since he left and even in the later years of his career and the heat have been a model sports franchise.

It's Wade.

I understand that Miami historically and in its DNA is a football town. This is Florida after all. I played high school football in Dade County. Best HS football in the country. But the canes struggling and the dolphins being embarrassing is quickly turning this city into a basketball town. The Heat organization is such a family based classy franchise that it will not surprise me at all if this city remains a basketball town for good. Also I won't be surprised if Miami sees a sudden rise of NCAA DI basketball talent come out of the city in the next 3-5 years as kids want to place basketball instead of football. This would not shock me at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: