Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2013, 06:52 PM

313 posts, read 647,755 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2013, 07:38 PM

179 posts, read 308,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Marino has a fairly poor relationship with the dolphins that hurts him a lot when it comes to Mr. Miami. Wade is a top 3-4 shooting guard in NBA history. So honestly Wade is probably better at his position historically than Marino.

Again without Wade there is NO Lebron here. And there is no 2006 championship. Wade has made the Heat into one of the most successful and classiest franchises in professionals sports in the 2003-2013 era and beyond. Today you are right wade is not the best payer on the team but from how the crowd reacts when starting line ups are introduced he is still the most liked player on the team and without him this team obviously does not win the ECF.

Marino has won ZERO, lets say that again ZERO championships. Only went to one Super Bowl. Wade 4 NBA finals and 3 championships. Wade is world famous. When people all around the world think of Miami they think of the Miami Heat. Even before wade this was the case. I was in Spain in 2002 and I remember people talking about Alonzo Mourning.

Marino is great. But when all is said and done i guarantee you Wade will be seen as the best athlete this city has "raised." He already has more winning than Marino and has done a lot of charity in this city. Wade will likely always have a job with the Heat unless he goes into the media when he retires. Look how bad of a relationship Marino has with the dolphins. It doesn't help that the dolphins have been a failure since he left and even in the later years of his career and the heat have been a model sports franchise.

It's Wade.

I understand that Miami historically and in its DNA is a football town. This is Florida after all. I played high school football in Dade County. Best HS football in the country. But the canes struggling and the dolphins being embarrassing is quickly turning this city into a basketball town. The Heat organization is such a family based classy franchise that it will not surprise me at all if this city remains a basketball town for good. Also I won't be surprised if Miami sees a sudden rise of NCAA DI basketball talent come out of the city in the next 3-5 years as kids want to place basketball instead of football. This would not shock me at all.
You make valid points. I'll say a few things in return.

1. It's harder to win a championship in the NFL. You can't just plug in a couple guys and instantly become a championship contender like you can in the NBA. With that said, Wade's championships are less impressive to me than Marino's accomplishments. (or lack of)

2. Basketball is a worldwide game. It's played all over the world, unlike football, so naturally people in other countries are gonna know about a basketball player from the NBA's best team.

3. Again, Wade is not the best player on the MIAMI Heat, thus I find it hard to give him the title of Mr.Miami. You say without Wade we wouldn't be great but I think that's false. This is Miami. Plenty of great players would love to come play here regardless if Wade is here or not. IT'S MIAMI! Where else would you rather be a professional athlete? The Heat have attracted good players forever and this time they just happened to land the best player in their league. (Lebron)

This city is a basketball town for 2 reasons.

1. The Heat are the only good professional team in the city and Miami is full of bandwagon types.
2. Basketball is a much easier game to follow, which appeals to the ditzy females who reside in South FLA and revolve their live around trends.

I can't even tell you how many "die hard" Heat fans I meet who literally have no clue who played on the team before the Wade era. It's a joke.

Miami is an absolute perfect location for a basketball team to take off. PERFECT!

Old 06-23-2013, 08:15 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigSicily954 View Post

1. It's harder to win a championship in the NFL. You can't just plug in a couple guys and instantly become a championship contender like you can in the NBA. With that said, Wade's championships are less impressive to me than Marino's accomplishments. (or lack of)

2. Basketball is a worldwide game. It's played all over the world, unlike football, so naturally people in other countries are gonna know about a basketball player from the NBA's best team.

3. Again, Wade is not the best player on the MIAMI Heat, thus I find it hard to give him the title of Mr.Miami. You say without Wade we wouldn't be great but I think that's false. This is Miami. Plenty of great players would love to come play here regardless if Wade is here or not. IT'S MIAMI! Where else would you rather be a professional athlete? The Heat have attracted good players forever and this time they just happened to land the best player in their league. (Lebron)

1. The Heat are the only good professional team in the city and Miami is full of bandwagon types.
2. Basketball is a much easier game to follow, which appeals to the ditzy females who reside in South FLA and revolve their live around trends.

I can't even tell you how many "die hard" Heat fans I meet who literally have no clue who played on the team before the Wade era. It's a joke.

Miami is an absolute perfect location for a basketball team to take off. PERFECT!
I agree with what you say above. Miami is a fair weather sports town. There are plenty of good heat fans who have been fans since the 90s (like me) but there are more real dolphins fans IMO. But basketball being a world wide sport is exactly my point. Miami is an international city. As for Wade and players coming here without Wade this team would not be what it is. Yes players have liked Miami but besides for trades of Hardaway and Mourning and picking up Eddie Jones in free agency one year the Heat never had great free agent pick ups. Its been Wade. A trade with Shaq which then got players to come here. The main reason I keep saying Lebron is not here in Miami without Wade is because they are best friends. It was not the city they were playing for as much as it was playing together. It was just a perfect mix of a bigger market, Wade being on the team and Pat Riley and having a team which has championship experience.

Would the Heat be a decent basketball team if Wade never was drafted by the Heat. Yea I am sure they would have done fine. Pat Riley was here before Wade. Miami was establishing itself as a decent franchise but it would be nothing like it is today. Not even close. Miami is the king of the basketball world right now. When people all around the world think NBA, think basketball the city of Miami is one of the first things to come to their head.

None of that would have happened without Wade.

I like Marino just as much as the next guy but really in the "Mr. Miami" list I would have:
1. Wade
2. Shula
3. Marino
4. ???? depends on how long Lebron stays.

Old 06-23-2013, 08:32 PM

You make very good points. I don't think you're wrong at all, I'm just not sure I really agree. I kinda have a football bias. LOL

Old 06-23-2013, 09:00 PM

13,221 posts, read 12,322,952 times
Quote:
You guys are off your rocker.

Marino is arguably one of the best QB's to ever play the game. He has in own street in Miami.

Wade isn't even the best player on his team. If not for Lebron the Heat wouldn't have won the last 2 championships.

This city is a "basketball town" RIGHT NOW cause we live in a fair-weather region where people only support winners. Lebron is who took the Heat to that next level, not Wade.

Sorry, you can't be Mr.Miami if you're not even the best player on the Miami Heat.

Don Shula > Dan Marino > everybody else

Marino also has a park and a street named after him in his hometown of ......wait for it.......PITTSBURGH!

Old 06-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, lets see Bradshaw in Pittsburgh (4 Super Bowls) and than Rothy (2 Superbowls and 2 appearances)

Old 06-23-2013, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
Hmmm, lets see Bradshaw in Pittsburgh (4 Super Bowls) and than Rothy (2 Superbowls and 2 appearances)
Are we talking about Pittsburgh or Miami?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Are we talking about Pittsburgh or Miami?
I was responding to your post that states that football championships are harder to get then basketball

Old 06-23-2013, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
I was responding to your post that states that football championships are harder to get then basketball
They are. But what's that have to do with Pittsburgh?

Old 06-23-2013, 09:35 PM

Quote:
They are. But what's that have to do with Pittsburgh?
Marino gets the same amount of respect in Pittsburgh that he does in Miami, after all he did win a national championship there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
View detailed profiles of: