Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:29 PM

22 posts, read 36,006 times

Advertisements

I've seen a few similar posts that have helped me with my search, but I'm hoping for a little more info...

I plan on moving in either June or July (definitely before August) for work (Dadeland Mall). I've heard traffic down there can get brutal but I want to keep my drive to/from work within 30 mi and DEFINITELY within 40 mins. My fiancee will be joining me later, so until he arrives, I want to make sure I find something accessible (groceries, gas, banks, hospitals) and safe. We are, ideally, looking for a 2 bedroom, but ok with a 1 bedroom, considering our budget is $1300 max. The most important apt amenities for us are off street parking and a washer/dryer in the unit.

Areas we think we should be looking at are Kendall, Doral, and Coral Gables, although the Neighborhood-O-Meter of Miami-Dade County map that was posted a while back has definitely widened our search; we want to narrow it back down, lol.

I spoke to a realtor who told me things rent really quickly down there so my best bet would be to come down before I move and rent, even if I have to come back up here. I don't plan to rent sight unseen, but I definitely don't want to pay 2 rents either.

That's everything for now, so any bit of information would help. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2014, 06:03 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,897,566 times
Don't rent at Four Quarters Habitats. You may have seen my other post about that, it is a total nightmare. Do come down first to secure a place in person (it is worth the price of the plane ticket since this is your life and sanity for the next year or more), and be sure to ask if the model apartment they show you is the same as the one you're getting - often it has none of the same features, but they won't mention that to you, you'll just find out when you move in. A number of people have mentioned good experiences in West Kendall, in the Hammocks. But that is way out - making it probably cheaper but also more remote. I don't know the prices right near the mall to comment on Dadeland.

Good luck!

Old 05-20-2014, 03:53 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Miami's strategic corridor is downtown, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, Dadeland. The Metrorail serves it.

There are plenty of older apartment buildings in your price range within walking distance or short drive to Dadeland Mall, the Dadeland Station shopping center (Super Target, Best Buy and other major stores) downtown Dadeland with banks (Citi, Wells Fargo), grocery (Publix, plus Trader Joe's just down the road) and retail shopping and restaurants, three hospitals, three colleges and universities, and two Metrorail stations if your fiancé eventually works in South Miami, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Brickell or downtown.

The only issue with an older building may be W/D in the unit, so you have to check each one.

Developers are currently constructing two new major apartment complexes in the Dadeland Area, one, supposedly, with retail in the complex (not sure if useful, like a convenience store, or useless like clothing and furniture). Perhaps by the time they and you are ready, you can up your budget and afford an apartment in a new building with all the modern amenities such as W/D in unit, pool, gym, cable/internet, 24 hour security, garage parking, etc.

So maybe rough it a year in an older building, get to know the area better, and upgrade later.

Good Luck!

Old 05-20-2014, 06:11 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
All around dadeland mall from across the street dadeland towers and behind the mall in older buildings you should be able to find an apartment. On Kendall drive and sunset drive there are a few older apartment and condo buildings that you might find something as well.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:00 AM

6,993 posts, read 17,365,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
Miami's strategic corridor is downtown, Brickell, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, South Miami, Dadeland. The Metrorail serves it.

There are plenty of older apartment buildings in your price range within walking distance or short drive to Dadeland Mall, the Dadeland Station shopping center (Super Target, Best Buy and other major stores) downtown Dadeland with banks (Citi, Wells Fargo), grocery (Publix, plus Trader Joe's just down the road) and retail shopping and restaurants, three hospitals, three colleges and universities, and two Metrorail stations if your fiancé eventually works in South Miami, Coral Gables, Coconut Grove, Brickell or downtown.

The only issue with an older building may be W/D in the unit, so you have to check each one.

Developers are currently constructing two new major apartment complexes in the Dadeland Area, one, supposedly, with retail in the complex (not sure if useful, like a convenience store, or useless like clothing and furniture). Perhaps by the time they and you are ready, you can up your budget and afford an apartment in a new building with all the modern amenities such as W/D in unit, pool, gym, cable/internet, 24 hour security, garage parking, etc.

So maybe rough it a year in an older building, get to know the area better, and upgrade later.

Good Luck!
^^

I don't think anyone could give you better advice than this!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,523 times
Are you sure about that decision? I wouldn't leave NY for Miami.

Old 05-24-2014, 05:07 PM

22 posts, read 36,006 times
Default Relocating from NYC to MIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bale002 View Post
This was really helpful... Only thing is I'd still have to worry about parking my car

I found a few places in Homestead and Doral that also seem really nice? Does anyone know much about these areas besides what I've found online? I know, per the map, Homestead is either really great or really not, lol. How accurate is this?

THANKS!!!

Old 05-24-2014, 11:25 PM

683 posts, read 853,452 times
Stay in NYC. When you come here all you will do is complain about how it's not like NY, when you live in FL. Great logic NYers have.

Old 05-25-2014, 02:02 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,746,245 times
Don't venture into homestead! That is really far and only a few areas that you would want to be in. Doral is nice but the commute would be at least 40 mins. Stick close to dadeland mall area if you can.

Old 05-25-2014, 05:42 AM

9,367 posts, read 14,309,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missakg View Post
This was really helpful... Only thing is I'd still have to worry about parking my car

I found a few places in Homestead and Doral that also seem really nice? Does anyone know much about these areas besides what I've found online? I know, per the map, Homestead is either really great or really not, lol. How accurate is this?

THANKS!!!
Just about every condo/apartment complex has parking on property; on-street parking is usually not necessary unless it's a covered parking garage and all the assigned spaces are full, but a resident will normally be assigned a space anyway.

Living as close to work as possible is as accurate as can be, especially in a neighborhood, the Dadeland Area, with every amenity imaginable within five minutes, 20 minutes at the most, including an intercontinental airport.

Doral is good, even better for the airport, but makes sense in your case only if your fiancé will be working in Doral or somewhere in the airport complex.

I wish Americans would get out of this mindset that a 40 minute commute by car each way every day is okay, because it's not.

Also realize that Miami is among the top ten most expensive car insurance markets in the US and a commute is a major factor in determining the rate. Also gas prices are higher than the national average. You get lower car insurance rates, better gas mileage, and less stress when you leave your car in park in a covered garage or on-property parking space. How much is that worth per month?

Homestead is good because you can buy a new SFH or townhouse cheap and/or because it is near the agricultural part of the county if you put a high value on farm fresh produce. However, it comes at the expense of a commute if you work in the central part of the county; also the word cheap can have various meanings, so think about it.

Good Luck!

Last edited by bale002; 05-25-2014 at 06:18 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami