Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 08:03 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
That was me, and that was only a month or two ago (somebody else might have too though).
Yeah, someone *cough*

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
people live in the hood because they like it there, a house in carol city costs the same as a house in a much better area; it's a way of life if you want to call it that.

how do i know the above? my friend lives in a pretty bad area and his rent is more or less the same as mine, and although where i live isn't great it's an improvement from where he's located

He doesn't live in the "worst of the worst", however. No sane person lives in an inner-city housing project because they "chose to".

Old 04-09-2008, 08:05 PM

147 posts, read 190,717 times
Night and Day. Literally and not if ya know what I mean. I laughed my way through the first few Miami homes you had there. I like the first one for 380k$ LoL you gotta be an idiot to pay 380 for that box. My little crappy condo that I rent on Brickell has more square footage than that house. Thanks for entertaining me but I have to remember that families live in those homes.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:55 AM

22 posts, read 67,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by compelled to reply View Post
I agree. That is not at all exclusive to Miami. I don't know why people on the forum make it that way.
Well said.... to say Liberty City represent Miami crime(why don't they highlight.....Key Biscayne, Coconut Grove, Coral Gables, etc) is like saying Camden, NJ represents NJ crime rate. Totally ridiculous.

Old 04-13-2008, 06:39 PM

5 posts, read 11,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_T View Post
I keep hearing from people I know who have lived in Miami that it is a disgusting trashy place with no character and is filled with crime. The other night I saw a presentation on CNN and they were talking about (I believe the Liberty City area) and how you can't go out at night because the crime is so high and how it's affecting Miami.

I guess in Liberty City they even let the traffic lights flash yellow so you don't have to stop (to prevent carjacking). Is it like that all over Miami? What is the real scoop?

Daniel_T
Liberty city is one of the worst. If you are traveling down I-95 north from downtown, and your car breaks down after dark, don't get out of your car and go down a ramp until you at least get to 125th St. These days even in the day time I wouldn't go down a ramp for help until at least 79th st. Tourists have been known to fly into Miami's airport. Then rent a car and go into the neighborhood that surrounds the airport and asked for directions just to be killed. I lived there from birth 1954 to 1989. 35 years. That's when I got the heck out of there.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:30 AM

107 posts, read 367,262 times
I totally hear you on the price spread between Dade and Palm Beach County. I took a sightseeing drive up A1A this weekend. Poked around the real estate market also, in Boca Raton. I was shocked by what a nice house you can get for your money, compared to Dade. Maybe the burglar bar neighborhood dwelling people can't trade up though because they can't afford the property tax hike that would result.

Old 04-14-2008, 08:04 AM

385 posts, read 1,891,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBCboy View Post
Yeah, someone *cough*

He doesn't live in the "worst of the worst", however. No sane person lives in an inner-city housing project because they "chose to".
it's not bad by my standards but if you don't mind hearing gunshots while you're outside having a bbq by all means move in.

Old 04-14-2008, 01:19 PM

1,770 posts, read 8,250,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
I totally hear you on the price spread between Dade and Palm Beach County. I took a sightseeing drive up A1A this weekend. Poked around the real estate market also, in Boca Raton. I was shocked by what a nice house you can get for your money, compared to Dade. Maybe the burglar bar neighborhood dwelling people can't trade up though because they can't afford the property tax hike that would result.
They can still buy an equally ugly looking home in Lake Worth, complete with security bars, for under $200,000 (which would go for around $350,000 or more in Hialeah). Lake Worth is more dangerous than Hialeah, though.
Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Still, if you're going to be living in a ghetto in Lake Worth or Overtown you might as well go for what may be the least amount of bucks though. In the case Lake Worth would be cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackklight View Post
it's not bad by my standards but if you don't mind hearing gunshots while you're outside having a bbq by all means move in.
Although I can't say I'm completely buying your story I have to say that you do bring up an intriguing point. Not everyone wants to live in the generic suburbs. Living in the city of Miami may actually be preferable to, say, Weston for certain people.

And nah, I'm not gonna be moving there anytime soon. I can hear sirens and helicopters here daily for a less amount of money.

Last edited by Yac; 05-09-2008 at 01:12 AM..

Old 04-15-2008, 03:33 PM

385 posts, read 1,891,730 times
his quote is that

"yeah i live in the hood, but why would someone rob my house if i live here, i can't have anything worth value"

and yes, we where having a bbq outside and it wasn't the 4th of july

i hear and see helicopters all the time here too

Old 04-17-2008, 05:02 AM

7,731 posts, read 13,430,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingmark View Post
Either way, Miami is not the happy-happy, snappy-snappy place it is made out to be.. I suspect that most Americans' knowledge of Miami comes from watching TV shows like the Golden Girls.
People should not even think of The Golden Girls with Miami. The Golden Girls series was filmed at a house in Pacific Palisades, California.

Old 04-17-2008, 07:23 AM

1,308 posts, read 3,402,482 times
That's right, Miami looks like a third world country with chickens running around. Give me a break. Just as there are areas that are run down, there are also areas that are second to none.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami