Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2014, 12:45 PM

471 posts, read 621,801 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
LOL, so why don't you tell everyone how you REALLY feel about Miami?
Miami is the best place to live in the USA, but not the best when you compare it to many European Union cities.

Old 06-29-2014, 03:31 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
lol, I dont think they will. They're now onto the 2nd and 3rd generation Cubans..... They aren't authentically "Cuban" anymore. While they remain ethnically "Cuban" they are gonna be far too Americanized to wanna go to a land they have probably never even been to. Plus they would miss all the creature comforts like malls, shopping, roads, trash pick-up, clean drinking water, public/private schools, jobs, entertainment, etc.

They're not gonna wanna go back. Did the Irish in America go back to Ireland during the "Celtic Tiger" years? No.
Why would they wanna go back to Cuba anyway? Why come to America in the first place? Everyone in this country comes from a background of someone leaving somewhere to achieve a better life here in the US.... Even when the dictatorship and government in Cuba falls and collapses ..it doesn't mean it's gonna be all gum-drops and gingerbread houses in Cuba. . . but why bother? They were born in Miami. They helped make Miami what it is...They shaped Miami. why abandon it for a land they really dont have ties to aside from ethnicity?

Old 06-29-2014, 03:37 PM

5,390 posts, read 9,699,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiResident View Post
Miami is the best place to live in the USA, but not the best when you compare it to many European Union cities.
Best place to live in the USA? That's cute u think that. lol.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:41 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miserere View Post
As there's a growing economy of paladares, casas particulares, private agriculture, mulas and many more concerns that are possible thanks to money from abroad, many will move there but without abandoning the US. In the future, it will be like having a second residence 90 miles away.

Seniors could benefit in the future, as facilities for seniors improve in a private or semi-private economy.

Cuban-Americans you see in Cuba are very recent arrivals, just a few years in the US. They know "la mecánica", how to make business there.

But I don't envisage any breakage with Southern Florida, it's just part of the country.
You think? I'm afraid I have no hope for Cuba. Having the U.S. as its neighbor to the north is like setting up a tent at the foot of a gigantic, active, destructive volcano.

Old 06-29-2014, 04:54 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
I lived in what was the most concentrated Cuban population in Miami, Westchester and Olympia Hieghts. And I grew up there since 1978 when it was somewhat more American, In fact Tallrick and Me went to the same high school, almost the same time period.

I had to move out of the area because it just became too much for even myself, I grew up in Jersey, and then here. pre Andrew you still had a decent amount of White non Hispanics which I always associated with. After Andrew most moved away and from what I am seeing the remaining Anglos will move away entirely unless they are rich in this boom time.

For our selves we face retirement in a highly aggressive environment with high insurance rates, crazy drivers, and ever increasing creep of fees.

Yeah it might be a hell of lot cheaper to live In a free Cuba but I rather live among folks that I can Identify with. In my case I would still want contact with my Cuban heritage and enjoy the cultural aspect of it, but I still want the peace and tranquility that I like with my fellow non Hispanic whites, since I grew up with that and twice married that. My boys enjoy both their Cuban and Irish heritage and while one boy chose a Peruvian girl the other seen to be Asian inclined. I will always want to be around my grandchildren so there is no way that I would move away from them so we are looking at retirement anywhere for as close as Sebring toAs far away as NC.

So while I have mentioned before While if I had LOTS of money and might invest into a second home, I am 50 this year, I came here when I was Three and I will retire in the US to be close to family and the lifestyle I have always known.

Old 06-29-2014, 05:36 PM

471 posts, read 621,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I don't know, what makes you think that Cuba wouldn't be the preferable place to live, compared with Miami, in that event?
Cuba will always have a dictatorship. It will never be free.

The USA could put down the Castro brothers and his combo any day, with a sniper dude, a dron, a missile, etc. The job is not done because we need a Guantanamo and also the chaos that the Castro regime inflicts in South America and in Cuba. A developed Cuba is a threat to the economy of South Florida, just imagine how many millions of tourists would choose to travel to Cuba over Florida, the economy here would go down the drain.

A developed South America is also a threat to the USA, them having stable economies would cause their middle and upper class to have their savings and investments in their own countries and currencies, that would cause the USA to lose foreign investments (Real estate market, etc).

All the countries cannot be developed/rich at the same time, money is a limited resource, and the USA needs underdeveloped countries to purchase products made here.

A developed Cuba is a direct threat to the economy of Florida, therefore, Castro is left alone in Cuba, and the US will never do anything to put him down. The existence of Castro Brothers benefits this economy, because it produces/contributes to the underdevelopment of Spanish speaking America.

Just imagine what would South Florida be without investments from these countries (If these countries had stable economies).

Imagine Castro never existed, South Florida would not be as cosmopolitan as it is today and Cuba would be highly developed.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:05 PM

7,300 posts, read 6,737,287 times
Quote:

A developed South America is also a threat to the USA, them having stable economies would cause their middle and upper class to have their savings and investments in their own countries and currencies, that would cause the USA to lose foreign investments (Real estate market, etc).

All the countries cannot be developed/rich at the same time, money is a limited resource, and the USA needs underdeveloped countries to purchase products made here.

A developed Cuba is a direct threat to the economy of Florida, therefore, Castro is left alone in Cuba, and the US will never do anything to put him down. The existence of Castro Brothers benefits this economy, because it produces/contributes to the underdevelopment of Spanish speaking America.

Just imagine what would South Florida be without investments from these countries (If these countries had stable economies).

Imagine Castro never existed, South Florida would not be as cosmopolitan as it is today and Cuba would be highly developed.
This is a super-great post, and spot on! I saved it to my computer. Thank you.

Old 06-29-2014, 06:08 PM

1,912 posts, read 2,748,188 times
Quote:

The USA could put down the Castro brothers and his combo any day, with a sniper dude, a dron, a missile, etc. The job is not done because we need a Guantanamo and also the chaos that the Castro regime inflicts in South America and in Cuba. A developed Cuba is a threat to the economy of South Florida, just imagine how many millions of tourists would choose to travel to Cuba over Florida, the economy here would go down the drain.

This!!!!!

Trust me if I could, I would make a hell of lot of money mine wise in Cuba.

Old 06-29-2014, 11:55 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,827,191 times
Quote:

And that is the real reason why we have the Cuban embargo. It is all about money, but disguised as a political maneuver to fight dictatorship and communism.

Old 06-30-2014, 06:50 AM

14,956 posts, read 12,162,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubanchic View Post
I lived in what was the most concentrated Cuban population in Miami, Westchester and Olympia Hieghts. And I grew up there since 1978 when it was somewhat more American, In fact Tallrick and Me went to the same high school, almost the same time period.

I had to move out of the area because it just became too much for even myself, I grew up in Jersey, and then here. pre Andrew you still had a decent amount of White non Hispanics which I always associated with. After Andrew most moved away and from what I am seeing the remaining Anglos will move away entirely unless they are rich in this boom time.

For our selves we face retirement in a highly aggressive environment with high insurance rates, crazy drivers, and ever increasing creep of fees.

Yeah it might be a hell of lot cheaper to live In a free Cuba but I rather live among folks that I can Identify with. In my case I would still want contact with my Cuban heritage and enjoy the cultural aspect of it, but I still want the peace and tranquility that I like with my fellow non Hispanic whites, since I grew up with that and twice married that. My boys enjoy both their Cuban and Irish heritage and while one boy chose a Peruvian girl the other seen to be Asian inclined. I will always want to be around my grandchildren so there is no way that I would move away from them so we are looking at retirement anywhere for as close as Sebring toAs far away as NC.

So while I have mentioned before While if I had LOTS of money and might invest into a second home, I am 50 this year, I came here when I was Three and I will retire in the US to be close to family and the lifestyle I have always known.
Somehow I think what you've said is the general consensus of most of the Cuban-Americans who've made their lives in this country. Although I don't know that they'd all plan to leave Miami, but your concerns about the insane crowding, insurance costs, and the general costs of living there has to be a concern for anyone who's not uber wealthy. I think the concerns you mention about living in Miami are the reasons we left too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami