Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami
 [Register]
Miami Miami-Dade County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-27-2014, 04:24 AM

37 posts, read 80,615 times

Advertisements

Is Miami the Detroit of the future?Will the Cubans leave after dreaming for so long of going back one day What will happen when the revolution falls.Is obvious we wont lose all the Cuban population but how many.Can Miami experience a form of decay with empty properties as a result or will it just experience a demographic swift once again.Im sure there will be a boom in construction and developments in Cuba which could affect not only Miami but the caribbean in general,specially the many new constructions lately in Dominican Rep. What will Cuba open market will mean for Cuba and the inmediate sorroundings

Last edited by GlowFlow; 06-27-2014 at 04:40 AM..

Old 06-27-2014, 06:33 AM

1,912 posts, read 2,747,090 times
Dude it's been 50 years and no my parents that left when they were in their late twenties are now in their mid 70's. This is their home and while they have visited Cuba they would never move back there. I came here in 68 at three years old and all I have ever known is the United states, my kids are mixed Hispanic and non Hispanic white Irish, my second husband is non Hispanic white Midwestern man. In fact we moved from a very Hispanic part of Miami to a place where it is more non Hispanic mixed area so there would be no way we would move to Cuba even if that was possible.

Also even if the events where to happen as you mentioned, the island would need at least ten years to recoup along with heavy investment to just reach Miami working class neighborhoods. So the most that you might see is the Rich Cubans buying second homes there to visit in gated communities but they would still stay here.

So NO Miami would never be the Detroit that you mentioned, also you forget that it is not only Cubans that are Hispanic living in Miami so it would still stay a mostly Hispanic Miami.

Old 06-27-2014, 08:58 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,754,889 times
The Cubans are here to stay, but the Detroit of the future will be due to the failure of the Fed, not Cubans. Once the fake US Ponzi scheme is exposed, I expect Miami to be like Havana in the future, a city of people riding bicycles and scraping by while growing vegetables and chickens for survival.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:10 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,186,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
The Cubans are here to stay, but the Detroit of the future will be due to the failure of the Fed, not Cubans. Once the fake US Ponzi scheme is exposed, I expect Miami to be like Havana in the future, a city of people riding bicycles and scraping by while growing vegetables and chickens for survival.
Exactly, Cubans aren't going anywhere, except where they already have gone, into other parts of South Florida, maybe up the coast more.

Miami will never be a Detroit, it doesn't have a major industry to pull out and decimate the city. Miami is a Port n' Resort city, with a bit of entertainment thrown in, and it can be that for many years into the future.

But, as I have said in another thread, it is a fragile urban area much of which can be returned to the sea in a blink of an eye. It's probably long since exceeded its carrying capacity, so hubris is what will destroy it, if anything. And you'll know that point has been reached the day that brackish water starts flowing from the taps, or when there are extended brownouts. Or both. And that's how the Magic City becomes the Tragic City, a fetid, noisy, overcrowded city with a cacaphony of disparate groups, all nattering and scrambling for a little piece of fading paradise.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:13 PM

1,138 posts, read 1,042,341 times
Cuba is a third world country ran by a brutal dictator, even if the regime was overthrown I doubt the Cubans would go back, they have been living here in the US for a long time. They call it home.

Miami is not like Detroit, nor even close. Miami has a fairly strong and growing economy, Detroit is an abandoned urban wasteland that was destroyed by unions, high taxation, and over spending.

Old 06-27-2014, 12:14 PM

4,836 posts, read 12,010,715 times
Simple answer: NO. Not sure if this is a serious question or just a troll...
Maybe some of the newer arrivals but you realize the larger Cuban population in Miami is now Cuban-Americans.

Besides who knows what Cuba will be like, it won't all of a sudden become a first world country. There will be a ton of money to be made there though. Miami will benefit greatly when it happens. There will be shuttles from MIA and FLL every 30mins to Havana and other cities. There are already multiple daily flights to Cuba from Miami to various cities.

Old 06-27-2014, 01:43 PM

14,950 posts, read 12,153,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyMIA View Post
Simple answer: NO. Not sure if this is a serious question or just a troll...
Maybe some of the newer arrivals but you realize the larger Cuban population in Miami is now Cuban-Americans.

Besides who knows what Cuba will be like, it won't all of a sudden become a first world country. There will be a ton of money to be made there though. Miami will benefit greatly when it happens. There will be shuttles from MIA and FLL every 30mins to Havana and other cities. There are already multiple daily flights to Cuba from Miami to various cities.
Actually, it's a question that has been brought up any number of times in the 50+ years since the Bay of Pigs invasion. The general consensus has always been, "he!! no!" As others have said, many of the Cubans who immigrated to Miami in the 60's after Castro took over, with their stated intention of staying in the US only till Castro fell, then returning to their homeland, have died, or are getting pretty long in the tooth, and even though they may still refer to themselves as "exiles", they've still been in the US longer than they were in Cuba, so I'd imagine after all those years they might have second thoughts about returning to the unknown in Cuba- they must realize it wouldn't be as they left it. The younger Cubans who came here as children don't remember much of Cuba, their lives are in the US, they're Cuban-Americans, and I think Cuba would be a foreign country to them. And those of Cuban descent who were born in the USA- well, Cuba is something that the older folks talk about....

Not to say they won't visit Cuba under the circumstances you mention.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:28 PM

5,187 posts, read 6,944,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Exactly, Cubans aren't going anywhere, except where they already have gone, into other parts of South Florida, maybe up the coast more.

Miami will never be a Detroit, it doesn't have a major industry to pull out and decimate the city. Miami is a Port n' Resort city, with a bit of entertainment thrown in, and it can be that for many years into the future.

But, as I have said in another thread, it is a fragile urban area much of which can be returned to the sea in a blink of an eye. It's probably long since exceeded its carrying capacity, so hubris is what will destroy it, if anything. And you'll know that point has been reached the day that brackish water starts flowing from the taps, or when there are extended brownouts. Or both. And that's how the Magic City becomes the Tragic City, a fetid, noisy, overcrowded city with a cacaphony of disparate groups, all nattering and scrambling for a little piece of fading paradise.
Yea Miami does have a very fragile environment very well said. Like Cubanchic said she was 3 years old when she came here from Cuba, this is all she knows , it is much different when you are American-Cuban born than Cuban-American born depending on one's age. There are more opportunities for a better life in the U.S. as they can go wherever.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:50 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallrick View Post
I don't think Miami will ever be like what Havana currently is but the classes will continue to grow apart. Miami will see a substantial decline in middle class residents due to an increasing cost of living. The rich population will continue to grow as Miami attracts all of the wealthy crud from other countries and the poor population will grow as more middle class residents fall behind.

Old 06-27-2014, 03:59 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
I am sure many will move back looking for new business opportunities and wealth but when the reality sets in and they realize that only the influential and well connected Cubans from Miami, as well as Cuba, along with big corporations will have a piece of the pie, they will move back to Miami broke and disillusioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Miami